Chapala.com Webboard

Things to bring from states?

Our retirement to Ajijic is rapidly approaching. I am at the point of deciding on a couple of things. Our books, clothing, "stuff" has been sorted. The Mexico pile is much smaller than the sell/Goodwill/freecycle pile. Now I need some advice from folks who have moved with minimal stuff into furnished rentals.

Beds - Both of us have back problems that require a really good mattress. Currently using a temperpedic  and getting first pain-free sleep in years. I have a couple of options - the Nectar mattress comes in a big bag and unrolls. That will pack easily and someone we know owns one. Because Mexican mattresses are not the same size as US, mattress will probably not fit whatever foundation. Is it reasonable to ask the landlord to store one of the beds so we can use ours? Other option is to buy a mattress here. Recommendations for a place?

Sheets - Do rentals come with bed linens or do we need to buy our own. Same for towels.

I would want my own linens rather than a rentals (which could be old , worn, etc - you get the picture) and blankets (although you can find them here there always seems to be a people looking for duvets in the winter; Advantage to bringing your own mattress you get to bring your fav sheets; good quality high threat count can be hard to find if you have a NOB sized mattress. Foundations are going to be within an inch or two in size; We have a MX king which is wider than long, so we gave it a 1/4 turn to get the length.  Landlords should be able to remove whatever furniture you don't need and make sure it is noted in the lease so that they don't come back to you saying you sold/stole the removed pieces.  Several mattress places lakeside Dormimundo, San Francisco Furniture, another place is SAT but can't recall the name.

BRING YOUR MATTRESS!!!!! We didn't and bought a Therapedic here... Not so good. Paid $1500 USD and in a year we have compressed areas. Ours is a Mexican king which is 6" shorter than the bed we purchased which is US size and made in Vietnam...  I would strongly recommend bringing your current mattress if you can and are happy with it...

Ditto on purchasing your linens NOB... Costco here has passable but not a great selection... 

1 hour ago, WideSky said:

I would want my own linens rather than a rentals (which could be old , worn, etc - you get the picture) and blankets (although you can find them here there always seems to be a people looking for duvets in the winter; Advantage to bringing your own mattress you get to bring your fav sheets; good quality high threat count can be hard to find if you have a NOB sized mattress. Foundations are going to be within an inch or two in size; We have a MX king which is wider than long, so we gave it a 1/4 turn to get the length.  Landlords should be able to remove whatever furniture you don't need and make sure it is noted in the lease so that they don't come back to you saying you sold/stole the removed pieces.  Several mattress places lakeside Dormimundo, San Francisco Furniture, another place is SAT but can't recall the name.

Actually, Queen size in Mexico varies by a lot from NOB- about 6 inches shorter and 4 inches narrower. I went to one of those places where they construct the bases and got them to build a base in the correct size for my NOB Queen mattress.

We have back problems in the family and bought one of the "sleep number" beds several years before moving to Mexico.  It helped immensely and since each side of the king bed has its own controls, each of us could have our preferred comfort levels.  Since the center section is basically an air bed, the parts are lightweight and we brought it with us when we moved to Mexico in 2004.  When it sprung a leak several years later, we quickly found out the parts weren't sold in Mexico, but a friend brought one back on his visit to the states.  We're still using that bed.

I agree that good quality sheets are worth bringing with you, but when we need linens now, we order them from the states and they have arrived with no problem.  You can order nearly anything you need from Amazon.

I purchased my queen sized TEMPUR-PEDIC bed in Guadalajara at Liverpool in Zapopan in 2016. According to my instruction manual the base upon which the Mexican Queen Size mattress sits, measures 147 cm wide by 200 cm long. or 57.9 inches by 78.75 inches and I love it

The type of TEMPUR_PEDIC I purchased is called in Spanish "TEMPUR-Ergo Premier" and comes with a remote control.  If that is not soft enough for you, you can always go to a local Costco and get a sponge or foam 2 or 3 inch thick pad that you could put on top of that mattress and make it even softer.

Oh, and TEMPUR-PEDIC provides these size beds and/or mattresses in Mexico, most all of which the Liverpool  store had on display:   Individual, large Individual, Matrimonial, Queen, Split Queen, and Split CA King.

Queens size is three inches shorter.  Furniture for Less here locally does offer the Therapedic as mentioned above.  He has US and Mexican sizes available.  I cannot vouch for the comfort level as we don't own one as of yet.  We also had a Tempurpedic in the US and we would like to have another.  We did not bring it as it was worn out.  We had owned it for many years.  We will also need to replace it with something similar.  It's a tough decision.

Linens wise, I would also say to bring your own.

You can ask the landlord to remove his bed.  It's usually not an issue if he/she has a place to put it.  As to the content of a rental, it's all negotiable.  It can have everything or very little.  When we moved into our, we gave ours a list of missing items and he provided them.  Not everyone wants the same things.  Not all will be so accommodating and they may not buy items you like.  You would perhaps be better off asking for an allowance. 

3 hours ago, Zeb said:

Queens size is three inches shorter.  Furniture for Less here locally does offer the Therapedic as mentioned above.  He has US and Mexican sizes available.  I cannot vouch for the comfort level as we don't own one as of yet.  We also had a Tempurpedic in the US and we would like to have another.  We did not bring it as it was worn out.  We had owned it for many years.  We will also need to replace it with something similar.  It's a tough decision.

Linens wise, I would also say to bring your own.

You can ask the landlord to remove his bed.  It's usually not an issue if he/she has a place to put it.  As to the content of a rental, it's all negotiable.  It can have everything or very little.  When we moved into our, we gave ours a list of missing items and he provided them.  Not everyone wants the same things.  Not all will be so accommodating and they may not buy items you like.  You would perhaps be better off asking for an allowance. 

Zeb, I'm an upholsterer- I'm pretty conversant with bed sizes. Mexican "Queen size" is 75 inches long, as are their singles and doubles. American and Canadian Queen size is 80 inches long and 60 inches wide.  I've made quite a few "mattress extensions" for clients who had a Queen bed frame they brought from up north, and bought a Queen size mattress in Mexico. I can assure you the difference isn't 3 inches.

20 hours ago, barbaraH said:

Our retirement to Ajijic is rapidly approaching. I am at the point of deciding on a couple of things. Our books, clothing, "stuff" has been sorted. The Mexico pile is much smaller than the sell/Goodwill/freecycle pile. Now I need some advice from folks who have moved with minimal stuff into furnished rentals.

Beds - Both of us have back problems that require a really good mattress. Currently using a temperpedic  and getting first pain-free sleep in years. I have a couple of options - the Nectar mattress comes in a big bag and unrolls. That will pack easily and someone we know owns one. Because Mexican mattresses are not the same size as US, mattress will probably not fit whatever foundation. Is it reasonable to ask the landlord to store one of the beds so we can use ours? Other option is to buy a mattress here. Recommendations for a place?

Sheets - Do rentals come with bed linens or do we need to buy our own. Same for towels.

Do not plan on the landlord storing his furniture so you can use yours. If you want this, get an unfurnished home.Most landlords are just renting you their own home, furniture and linens and don't have a bunch of rentals where they could store things. Most renters just pickup items they like and work them in. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

16 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Zeb, I'm an upholsterer- I'm pretty conversant with bed sizes. Mexican "Queen size" is 75 inches long, as are their singles and doubles. American and Canadian Queen size is 80 inches long and 60 inches wide.  I've made quite a few "mattress extensions" for clients who had a Queen bed frame they brought from up north, and bought a Queen size mattress in Mexico. I can assure you the difference isn't 3 inches.

Well.  I can definitely be remembering it incorrectly, so I appreciate the information.  I am sure you are more accurate than I.  Thanks for posting.

I appreciate everyone's input! I decided to go ahead with ordering a Nectar Sleep mattress and foundation. The mattress comes rolled up in a bag and the foundation is pretty much just a stack of boards to be assembled on site. It won't take up much room if it takes us a while to get things squared away with a landlord. Ditto for sheets and towels. Bringing our own. Along with books, clothes, some hobby supplies and a couple of kitchen items I can't do without, that's about it.

Looking forward to our move!

Archived