Chapala.com Webboard

TELMEX RESIDENTIAL LINES AVAILABLE???

Would appreciate information about the

~availability of TELMEX residential service at present time(is there a waiting list for new connections?)

~does a cell phone provide all services including internet connection on one's personal computer in Lakeside area?

~what cellular service provider is recommended for cell phone use on a temporary basis(during visits to Lakeside)

~is it best to purchase actual cell phone from service provider?

~what type of cellphone is minimal cost but still offers camera?

Is it best to continue residential TELMEX service for value of property to RENT OR SELL?

Thanks for your assistance.

Apache

Availability of connections depends on your location.  They are slow to expand where capacity is all taken.  Many people these days rely solely on cellular.

Personally speaking I like the better quality of a land line plus we use ours for internet as well.  But I'll admit to being a cave man when it comes to cellular, still using only a flip phone.  Of course it helps my wife has one of those Apple thingies and she does all sorts of stuff on it for us both.

The rest I'll leave to others.

I have posted this before in threads about TelMex availability.  It doesn't much matter what others may tell you about availability.  Que sera sera on the day you go to TelMex.  

We moved into our new (to us) home in Ajijic Centro in April 2017.  The long-time tenant took the landline number with them.  Our real estate agent said we may have to wait weeks or months to get a new number. We stopped at TelMex immediately after closing/settlement to ask about new service and a new number.  They installed it the VERY NEXT DAY!  

When we first moved to Ajijic in 2008, the house we bought was a total rebuild in Ajijic Centro that never had a phone line.  That realtor told us to expect a 6 month wait for a TelMex line/number.  We went to TelMex office after settlement, and they installed the new line and number in TWO DAYS.  

FYI: We do not pay or offer mordida; nor are we fluent in Spanish, but we are polite, respectful, smile a lot and take 'cheat sheet' notes in Spanish to help us through business conversations.  

If you purchased your cell phone in Canada, it uses a sim chip like we do here in Mexico. If you bought your cell phone in the US and your carrier is T-Mobile or AT&T you are OK because your phone will also have a Sim Chip.

I always buy my iPhones unlocked up North every three or four years whether I need a new one or not and bring it down here and get a sim chip from the Carrier that makes the most sense for me, and the plan I want, and that in my case (maybe not your case) is Telcel.

In my neighborhood in Ajijic Telmex internet works great by lakeside standards. I get up to 16 Mb/sec down by 0.55 Mb up. Some people near Chapala get much better speeds from Telmex. However most neighborhoods have slower internet than I.  Why is my internet so fast by lakeside standards, because apparently I live only 1070 meters from where my telephone internet lines connect to the internet (DSLAM card)

I hope I answered at least a few of your questions :) .

If Telmex office in Ajijic tells you that there are no lines available, call the main office in Mexico. When I arrived in my neighbourhood that was the case for 22 people waiting up to one year without a line. I called Mexico to complain about it and they did not understand why that was. Everybody received a line within two weeks. You can draw your own conclusion.

16 minutes ago, Honorandfaith said:

Nana, is there someone in MX City that speaks some English? My Spanish is pretty good, but maybe not to do this long-distance. Thanks! 

Please let us know if a second miracle occurs....that is of course if you are still alive when you get connected

I've had no trouble getting an English speaking person when calling the Mexico City 1-800 number. Simply stay on the line and say "Ingles por favor" when a  live person comes on the line. Adds about 5 minutes to the call. But don't bother calling on a weekend.

Years ago, I called 01-800-368-0500. I was connected to an English speaking gentleman, but he could not help me with this problem, so I spoke to his supervisor. She did not speak English, but I'm sure you could ask for someone to help you in English now. That was 12 years ago.

By the way, the guy in Ajijic's office knew that I was the one who had reported the problem to Mexico. The only draw back for me was that my name was not in the list of people who were connected that week.🤣 I had to return to the office in Ajijic to tell him to make sure I get my line before the end of the week. And it was done. Nothing was spoken openly and no threat either-- just a bit of sarcasm covered with smiles.

14 hours ago, Honorandfaith said:

I was in Telmex about 2 PM on Friday... No internet availbility in Ajijic, you can go on a wait list. This has been going on for a year. Just crap.. 

If you have a Telmex line you should be able to add internet, very cheap compared with US and Canada. I always have had excellent service experience with Telmex, courteous staff and the employees attending special services do speak english and are rather patient.

Archived