Chapala.com Webboard

Difficult to post here

cedros

2 hours ago, johanson said:

My God, it took less than three seconds.  How can it be so bad sometimes and so good other times?

I hope they do not improve the speed of the site.  That would be one less thing for us to gripe about.

You're too funny Tiny. Just maybe the reason they fixed whatever was wrong was because we were all griping so much to include many not so nice emails complaining about...………..

Whatever the problem was, I hope and pray that we have a permanent fix.  I greatly enjoy this forum.

If you haven't got sand

For when your life's not planned

If you haven't got the grit

To get out of the pit

Better ride the wave

Or be a knave

Learn to skip the stones

Pass by the clones

Touch all you reach

'Cuz life's a beach

"They provide a place that is very good for exchanging information free of the personal nastiness and one sided political bitterness found elsewhere locally".......seriously Mainecoons?  

Since when has this forum ever been free of personal nastiness?  I see more of it on here that goes unchecked than I ever see on TOB.  And at least they have a particular place where people can rant, if needed.  On here, if someone disagrees with the moderators, they get shut down.....not exactly fair.

(I wonder how long this post will stay up here)   

So Sue why come here at all?  I really don't get it.  Why not stay where you find things more to your liking?  What motivates you to constantly post attacks on this board and moderators instead of just spending your time where you are obviously happier?

It's not about ranting, it is about slandering people personally to the point of actually threatening them with harm, while hiding behind the keyboard of course.  We do get some ranting and try to let it ride if it doesn't get personal or go crazy.  

We don't have a section for really attacking others viciously like "The Octagon" and we aren't going to.   We also don't have a political section where anyone who disagrees with the pervasive one sided bias gets personally attacked and abused for doing so.  You know, like labeling people as "deplorables."

Very interesting discussion of just where that sort of thing leads was done by the NYT in 2011.

https://nytimes.com/2011/09/20/us/small-town-gossip-moves-to-the-web-anonymous-and-vicious.html

There are some people who just can't resist the temptation to get really nasty and personally vicious while hiding behind a keyboard and they don't get free reign to do so here.  It happens but we stop it as fast as we can. 

We're not perfect and we don't spend all day reading every single post here.

As you have been told repeatedly, if you have a specific complaint about this board or its moderators direct it to Admin Chapala.  Or better yet if you are so unhappy here and we make you so angry you post something like the above, don't subject yourself to us for another minute.  Life is too short.  :)

Most days I can't even get the link to the board to work at all.  I used to check here fairly often but, like most others, I don't bother much any more and so I wouldn't care if they shut it down.  Too bad because it used to be a nice little resource for folks who might one day be real estate customers...Alan

14 hours ago, gringal said:

The major difference between this board and Inside Lakeside is not a lack of "personal nastiness": there's plenty of that here, too, very poorly disguised. When some posters drag U.S. politics out of the closet, it gets very contentious.

The difference is that when you click on TOB, it comes up promptly and when you post, it shows up quickly. This board is running so poorly that it's becoming more of a frustration than a pleasure or source of information about local matters.  I have contacted Admin about this, with no response and no improvement.  Sounds like the management is shooting itself in the foot if it hopes to attract real estate customers.

If you are so impressed with TOB, why don't you just make that one your "go to Board" and then you won't be bother anymore by this Board's posters. Unless you just love to bitch about this one. :D

2 hours ago, suegarn said:

"They provide a place that is very good for exchanging information free of the personal nastiness and one sided political bitterness found elsewhere locally".......seriously Mainecoons?  

Since when has this forum ever been free of personal nastiness?  I see more of it on here that goes unchecked than I ever see on TOB.  And at least they have a particular place where people can rant, if needed.  On here, if someone disagrees with the moderators, they get shut down.....not exactly fair.

(I wonder how long this post will stay up here)   

Why are you still on this Boars and not full time on the other Board. Just love to come here to bitch?

...and speaking of personal nastiness....see previous posts.

My criticism of this board was about its technical function, which is greatly improved as of today.  TOB has more consistently provided reliable service, that's all.  I appreciate the information provided on here.

It is a fair question, Gringal, for anyone who is discontented with this site regards content and moderation and feels the need to post that discontent repeatedly.  Given there are local and regional alternatives to this site there is no good reason why anyone should feel compelled to be here if they don't like the policies or the people.

Operationally, I agree TOB is more reliable and this is why the moderating team have encouraged the site's owners to seek a better ISP option and encouraged others to report operational problems in a friendly and helpful manner to them.

They want this board to increase the visibility of their other offerings and we want it as a place to exchange information and help each other.  The board's owners in particular want it to be a hospitable and helpful resource for newcomers.  And they are very firm in their insistence the moderating team support these goals.

In our imperfect way, that is what we strive to accomplish.  To the degree all the participants focus on those goals, the quality and helpfulness of this group is enhanced.  As for this board having the level of personal rancor seen elsewhere I suggest you form your own opinions based on reading directly.

Then pick one or the other based on your personal preferences.  It really is just that simple.

I will continue to read and post in both forums. The purpose of both is to help others. Period. ALL political posts and political preferences should just be deleted with a warning replacing the content... "Politics Not Allowed". ALL posts.

26 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I will continue to read and post in both forums. The purpose of both is to help others. Period. ALL political posts and political preferences should just be deleted with a warning replacing the content... "Politics Not Allowed". ALL posts.

I completely agree and especially regarding politics.  If someone feels compelled to express their political views, TOB has an Octagon section where righties and lefties can duke it out.  Otherwise, neither side should bring it up on here since it allegedly is not allowed. I, too, will continue to read and post on both forums because the purpose of both is to share information helpful to others.  It's not a question of "loyalty" to either or a "pick one" issue.

Personally, I think some of the discussions about butter, golf carts, animal mistreatment and even "Pet Peaves" has become hostile and rancorous at times.  And let's not even begin to mention doctors and dentists, wow.

Archived