Chapala.com Webboard

Difficult to post here

cedros

When I try to reply to some topics this Board puts in into quote and then the quote is in the wrong place and I have to go back and edit the post. Is anyone else having the same problem? 

The board hosting is a disaster.  We mods have told them time and time again about it.  I suggest you all send an email to chapala@chapala.com and let them know as well.

Their ISP is Invision, a truly bad hosting service.  We have repeatedly suggested they switch hosting to no avail.

4 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

The board hosting is a disaster.  We mods have told them time and time again about it.  I suggest you all send an email to chapala@chapala.com and let them know as well.

Their ISP is Invision, a truly bad hosting service.  We have repeatedly suggested they switch hosting to no avail.

Why don't you send your contribution along with the e-mail?

Don’t get your hopes up johanson. There are times, all be it very few, when it behaves like it should but then reverts to the worst performance I have ever seen on a Board.

I’m wondering if it is not their database system as that what the various symptoms look like to me: 1) slow, like database requests are stacking up.    2) immediately return an error, like a ‘read’ got an error; presenting an error back to an end-user is something a good system should NEVER do!  3) nothing returned, like the database has gone off-line but the requesting program is not smart enough to suggest that you ‘try later’, like the one I just got trying to go to a “groups.yahoo.com” site:

Yahoo Logo

Will be right back...

Thank you for your patience.

Our engineers are working quickly to resolve the issue.

Yep.   As a Moderator of several free public message boards, I know first hand it's hard to complain on a free board that doesn't charge anything.  (I'm not sure if the owner of the site sells advertising or something) but definitely this site is one of the slowest I've ever been on.   Reminds me of the early 90's and AOL 56K bandwidth days...Ha ha.

This board is here because the sponsors use it as a draw to their real estate activities and their publication The Ojo.  They provide a place that is very good for exchanging information free of the personal nastiness and one sided political bitterness found elsewhere locally and in doing so provide visibility for their business and those of their advertisers on the Ojo.  When it works good it is a win win for everyone.

The performance issues have easily cut the traffic here in half.  That is defeating its very purpose.

Pointing this out to them is doing a service as their very poor ISP is costing them the very exposure they operate it for.  It is called customer feedback and successful businesses value it.

So if you value this place I again suggest you let Admin Chapala, chapala@chapala.com know there is a serious problem with slow and erratic performance over quite a long time now and encourage them to get a better ISP as it is pretty clear after well over a year of these problems the current one can't or won't deliver decent and reliable service.

18 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

This board is here because the sponsors use it as a draw to their real estate activities and their publication The Ojo.  They provide a place that is very good for exchanging information free of the personal nastiness and one sided political bitterness found elsewhere locally and in doing so provide visibility for their business and those of their advertisers on the Ojo.  When it works good it is a win win for everyone.

The performance issues have easily cut the traffic here in half.  That is defeating its very purpose.

Pointing this out to them is doing a service as their very poor ISP is costing them the very exposure they operate it for.  It is called customer feedback and successful businesses value it.

So if you value this place I again suggest you let Admin Chapala, chapala@chapala.com know there is a serious problem with slow and erratic performance over quite a long time now and encourage them to get a better ISP as it is pretty clear after well over a year of these problems the current one can't or won't deliver decent and reliable service.

Or they may decide to shut the chat board portion down.

I clicked on this topic and had to wait 39 to 40 seconds before it finally popped up. I do not ever remember a forum that runs so slow. Thank God it speeds up somewhat every once in a while. Let's see how long it takes to post this

I have contacted Admin Chapala several times since the real problems began. I have not been acknowledged, and I have seen only a deterioration in Website response times. What I find particularly curious: if you try Coldwell Banker's home page, or the Ojo del Lago, you get the same stunted performance. So all their stuff is running in the same almost-unuseable manner. Must drive their own people crazy.

So it's not just a question of ignorning the chat board. They are ignoring a major portion of their own business, including other rental agents and potention customers who use their home-search page to find real estate, and online readers of the magazine. That's a pretty wide swath.

36 minutes ago, johanson said:

It took more than 60 seconds. This is ridiculous. Well, no time to post anything more or to read any new posts. I will check in the afternoon. Here's hoping.

Member posts are down so much that not checking for new information is my new habit.

1 minute ago, ComputerGuy said:

Member posts are down so much that not checking for new information is my new habit.

The major difference between this board and Inside Lakeside is not a lack of "personal nastiness": there's plenty of that here, too, very poorly disguised. When some posters drag U.S. politics out of the closet, it gets very contentious.

The difference is that when you click on TOB, it comes up promptly and when you post, it shows up quickly. This board is running so poorly that it's becoming more of a frustration than a pleasure or source of information about local matters.  I have contacted Admin about this, with no response and no improvement.  Sounds like the management is shooting itself in the foot if it hopes to attract real estate customers.

A restaurant like Ajijic Tango?  Perhaps that is where the Tingen interest now lies; with the intention to just let the real estate business die off. All those agents and closings must be a tremendous bother.

3 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

A restaurant like Ajijic Tango?  Perhaps that is where the Tingen interest now lies; with the intention to just let the real estate business die off. All those agents and closings must be a tremendous bother.

Heard he is retired to Manzanillo.

Archived