Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Pet Peaves


Recommended Posts

Regarding Eric Blair's statement about scanned prices -  yesterday I asked a clerk to check a price for me on the largest plastic plant pots that they have.  The sticker price on the shelf was 499 which seemed very high.  She used her scanner on the 499 label on the shelf and it read 389.  So I took 3 up to the check out counter.  The clerk scanned the stickers on each one pot (why not just scan one and take it times 3?) and the price was 199 on each label on each pot .  So, there you go.  How do you ever know what the price is until you get to the check out counter? Rhetorical, of course!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ibarra said:

...So, there you go.  How do you ever know what the price is until you get to the check out counter? Rhetorical, of course!

The Walmart app on my android phone has a price scanner, I would think that iPhones would be the same. Much simpler than trying to find help at Walmart. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's another one:  People who walk their dogs in public, such as on the Ajijic Malecon, and do not properly control them or reprimand them when they get aggressive toward other pedestrians. This is especially a problem for those of us who have physical problems and are not in a good position to ward off attacks.  If you can't make them behave, please don't foist them on the rest of us.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mattoleriver said:

The Walmart app on my android phone has a price scanner, I would think that iPhones would be the same. Much simpler than trying to find help at Walmart. 

Well, so far I've got a couple of problems with that. Maybe you can help me. First off, my Android app for WALMART MEXICO has no price scanner, until you create an account, obviously for marketing purposes (U.S version of the app has no such requirement). Second, since they are continually advertising products, I took a look at an easy one: Colgate Total. Listed on the phone at over 60 pesos, which is ludicrous, and clearly marked in our local store as 3 for 49p.

Finally, once I had my account, I scanned half a dozen items I just returned with from WalMart not an hour ago: produce, cookies, snacks, deli chicken, eggs... that kind of thing. At least half of them are packaged products from national manufacturers and wholesalers. Nothing in their database.

Perhaps one must scan the sticker on the shelf... which of course has no bearing on the actual recorded price at the cash, based on posts above.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

-People who say they have "lived here" 18 year,s when they only spend  1 or  2 months here a year..

-People who do not nod,  say hello or give some kind of acknowledgement, when passing you by on the street (Mexicans always do!) 

-People who block the walkway at the Tiangus - 2 couples catching up with each other while down here, blocking the path.

-People who let their dogs pee on the hanging tablecloths at the Jardine.

-People who feed their dogs from their plate at restaurants.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

...the current confusion at CFE re billing.  You may not get your bill until it's already late or you may not get it at all.  Now, there's  pressure to get it online.  What if a person is a rare specimen who either isn't computer savvy or doesn't have one at all?

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2018 at 3:35 PM, gringal said:

Oh yea.  One, anyway.

...and then there are the obviously able bodied people who fill the disabled line at Walmart.

About that, sometimes a person doesn't look disabled, but is. You don't know what they are feeling and they could really be in pain.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zeb said:

About that, sometimes a person doesn't look disabled, but is. You don't know what they are feeling and they could really be in pain.

Perhaps ALL the people who get in that line are what they claim to be.  I'm a bit too cynical to buy that, but you never know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, gringal said:

Perhaps ALL the people who get in that line are what they claim to be.  I'm a bit too cynical to buy that, but you never know.

I understand your feelings on this.  I feel that way sometimes when I see people with handicapped stickers on their cars.  However, I must say this.  I can remember a time when I was in a lot of pain and none of it was visible and some guy in the parking lot at the grocery store in Texas got on my case calling me lazy because I failed to return the cart.  I just left it in the parking lot for the attendants to pick it up.  I was really suffering back then and walking was painful, so it wasn't laziness.  I was just miserable.  I remember that when I start feeling judgmental, although I do think you have a point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question about the first check out line in WallyMart.  I thought that this first lane was not only for disabled folks but all senior citizens. Am I wrong? I have occasionally used that line and for my age I am not disabled. But compared to an average 25 year old some might call me very disabled

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, johanson said:

Question about the first check out line in WallyMart.  I thought that this first lane was not only for disabled folks but all senior citizens. Am I wrong? I have occasionally used that line and for my age I am not disabled. But compared to an average 25 year old some might call me very disabled

And for pregnant women.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I very rarely go to Walmart any more but I forced myself today. A Saturday afternoon. Ugh. Parking lot was pretty full, I gritted my teeth. I had a weird list of about twelve items and figured if I got nine out of twelve I'd claim victory. I found EVERYTHING. Carmex lip balm in abundance....eye drops....bigmouth size tooth brushes...tons of OFF Mosquito repellent. Even a simple shower curtain with no ugly design or "art" on it. SCORE!  Riding that wave I rocked over to the cereal aisle and filled my cart with almost their entire inventory of plain Cheerios. (Apologies to patient family who stood there waiting while I reached all the way to the back of the upper shelves.)

And they had tons of checkout lanes open, no waiting.

I felt like I'd won the lottery. (Admittedly, not sure about the Gala apples yet, they look suspicious...).

PET PEEVE: I guess CFE. They is all messed up this year.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since everyone is chiming in and I held off for four pages of posts...my pet peeve is anglicizing and abbreviating everything about Mexico rather than attempt to correctly spell or pronounce the major locales where we live. "AJ"? Really? Can't we write out "Ajijic" (without the newly-substituted final "x")? "#24 September 16 Street"? Get used to "16 de septiembre #24" if you want to locate it on a map. NYC doesn't use "Glorieta de Colón" for Columbus Circle; why are some now imposing the reverse?. The "square" and the "highway"? Let's stick to "plaza" (we don't have a "zócalo", either...they are different) and t's apparently just find to jaywalk on the "carretera" and "libramiento" rather than walk safely to a (rarely functioning) light. We have done so much to change our villages; let's at least keep their identities and pronunciation alive instead of creating another divide between locals and expats. 

  • Like 6
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, jrod said:

Since everyone is chiming in and I held off for four pages of posts...my pet peeve is anglicizing and abbreviating everything about Mexico rather than attempt to correctly spell or pronounce the major locales where we live. "AJ"? Really? Can't we write out "Ajijic" (without the newly-substituted final "x")? "#24 September 16 Street"? Get used to "16 de septiembre #24" if you want to locate it on a map. NYC doesn't use "Glorieta de Colón" for Columbus Circle; why are some now imposing the reverse?. The "square" and the "highway"? Let's stick to "plaza" (we don't have a "zócalo", either...they are different) and t's apparently just find to jaywalk on the "carretera" and "libramiento" rather than walk safely to a (rarely functioning) light. We have done so much to change our villages; let's at least keep their identities and pronunciation alive instead of creating another divide between locals and expats. 

Although I admire your forbearance in resisting for four pages, I can't resist pointing out the worst middle of the block crossers and jaywalkers I've seen are the local Mexicans who cross anywhere, often with little kids in tow.   Fortunately (I guess) the traffic movement lately is so slow that drivers can see them pop out in time to stop.😎  I do agree about the anglicizing issue.   Let's let the words be what they are...in Spanish.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Cars parked in the eastbound bus stop near Colon. Backs up eastbound traffic to La Huerta.

What are the new Transito Municipal for anyway?

There seems to be a bit of confusion right now about exactly where that bus stop is going to be.  They moved the bus depot to just east of Colon, so now people aren't sure whether the bus stops on the west corner or a few doors east of Colon.  They should put some painted lines where the actual bus stop is going to be, then hopefully drivers will know not to park there.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2018 at 2:14 PM, Zeb said:

I understand your feelings on this.  I feel that way sometimes when I see people with handicapped stickers on their cars.  However, I must say this.  I can remember a time when I was in a lot of pain and none of it was visible and some guy in the parking lot at the grocery store in Texas got on my case calling me lazy because I failed to return the cart.  I just left it in the parking lot for the attendants to pick it up.  I was really suffering back then and walking was painful, so it wasn't laziness.  I was just miserable.  I remember that when I start feeling judgmental, although I do think you have a point.

Returning the cart at most stores NOB just takes a low skill starter job away form someone,  just like cleaning your own table at McDonalds.  Even the self check out at Walmart NOB helps to kill the jobs that can't be exported. There are few enough of these jobs left anyway, even though folks that are only qualified for them seem to be increasing. How will their moms ever get them to move out of their basement? 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, suegarn said:

There seems to be a bit of confusion right now about exactly where that bus stop is going to be.  They moved the bus depot to just east of Colon, so now people aren't sure whether the bus stops on the west corner or a few doors east of Colon.  They should put some painted lines where the actual bus stop is going to be, then hopefully drivers will know not to park there.

Went by there today and there is a long section of YELLOW painted curb in front of the new location for the bus depot.

Now, whether the bus driver will pull his butt off the road or whether people will actually not park in that space remains to be seen. The traffic was backed up today because of people double parked (sort of) on the highway... but the large space for the bus remained empty.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...