Chapala.com Webboard

Changes to common immigration forms effective August 1, 2018

From attorney Spencer McMullen

Mexico published today, July 31, 2018 in its Federal Register or Diario Oficial de la Federacion some changes to common immigration forms. These changes will be effective tomorrow, August 1, 2018. 
The following forms have had slight changes made to them. 

FMM Form Commonly Called Tourist Card Form (It is really to track entries and exits for statistical purposes and only acts as a tourist card for those who have no other visa).
They changed some of the numbers around, also on the lower parts of both halves they write in how many days the visa is good for, on the old forms only the bottom section had a box to write in the information. 

TEMPORARY / PERMANENT VISA CARD
New card format is similar to the old one. There are small differences such as the design and logos on the top of the front side, and on the front side both the issue and expiration dates will appear, old cards had expiration date on front and issue date on the rear. The rear side will have space for folio number, where printed and renewal number with the other signatures and barcodes the same as before.

FORMATO BASICO, the form you turn in when applying for any temporary or permanent visa. 
The new form seems to be the same as far as information requested but does delete the spots where you would put your fingerprints or attach photos. 

FEM Formato Estadístico para Mexicanos, the form Mexicans use for entering and leaving the country. This form has changed from being blue or purple in the pasty to a lime green color on the new form. 

New form FEM Formato Estadístico para Mexicanos Repatriados (Deporteees)
This form is to track entries from Mexicans deported from other countries. 

It is a good idea to make sure that when you use any of the aforementioned forms that you use the new ones as using the old ones may cause a delay or rejection when you do any business with the National Immigration Institute or INAMI. It is unknown when immigration / airports / border crossings will have the new forms available as well as if there will be any grace period for use of old forms. 

sg14_Cimg_473451.png

sg14_Cimg_285091.png

new 2018 visa front.jpg

New 2018 FMM S.jpg

new visa 2018 rear.jpg

formato basico 2018.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Current cards are still valid, just new look to new ones.  Those applying for a new visa will need to use new form and for entries and exits there are new forms for foreigners and nationals.

3 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

No, he did not say that, write that, or imply that.   🙄

The way that I read his last paragraph in the original post made it sound like that......"It is a good idea to make sure that when you use any of the aforementioned forms that you use the new ones as using the old ones may cause a delay or rejection when you do any business with the National Immigration Institute or INAMI. It is unknown when immigration / airports / border crossings will have the new forms available as well as if there will be any grace period for use of old forms"

I just wanted to make sure that I had the correct information from Spencer himself.  I hope that's alright with you RVGRINGO.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Spencer,

I entered Mexico at the end of May 2018 and received a 120 days tourist visa which expires next month.  My lease at Lake Chapala terminates at the end of the year.  I am retired and would like to stay in Mexico for a year, before deciding on permanent residency. What is the easiest way to extend my visa?  Can I walk into Chapala Immigration office, and request an extension?  

Thanks,

Dale

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, LeathermanD said:

Hello Spencer,

I entered Mexico at the end of May 2018 and received a 120 days tourist visa which expires next month.  My lease at Lake Chapala terminates at the end of the year.  I am retired and would like to stay in Mexico for a year, before deciding on permanent residency. What is the easiest way to extend my visa?  Can I walk into Chapala Immigration office, and request an extension?  

Thanks,

Dale

Short answer is NO.  A Tourist Card is not extendable (except under very limited circumstances usually having to do with health).  Your’s was designated as 120 days..... usually they are for 180 days, but..... and you must exit Mexico by the 120th day. 

If you want to stay in Mexico until the end of the year, you must ‘get’ to the border, turn in your existing FMM document (Tourist card in this case), turn around and re-enter on a new Tourist Card. That will (normally) get you to the end of the year at least.

In this case, “Your Mileage Won’t Vary”.  😉

24 minutes ago, LeathermanD said:

Darn.... 

A round trip to San Diego is $400/USD.  I assume there is a fine if I stay in Mexico till the end of the year on the current visa.  Any idea what the penalty is?  I plan to move on to Brazil in 2019.

Thanks,

-D

I don't understand paying $400 USD to San Diego when GUADALAJARA to TJ return is cheap and easy. I just looked up Volaris on Sept. 11 and returning on Sept. 12 round trip for $124 USD. Two carry-on bags included.

• Like 1

I just did it in June. It is a long, enclosed sky bridge so it is like walking through an airport. There are elevators and escalators for changing levels. Also, baggage carts and wheel chairs are available for you. You need to switch the carts and wheelchairs when you cross “the border.” There are people to help all along the way. I spent less than half the money from flying into San Diego. It was also much easier for my daughter to pick me up and drop me off there. 

• 10 months later...
17 minutes ago, rad55sa said:

Spencer, do we still have to fill out an FMM when leaving Mexico for the US temporarily? The last time I was at the border, the INM person said I didn't have to fill out anything. I am permanente and my wife is temporal.

Would make sense if you have Pemanente the card should suffice and the number...ah, but that would be too simple!

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2019 at 11:18 AM, rad55sa said:

Spencer, do we still have to fill out an FMM when leaving Mexico for the US temporarily? The last time I was at the border, the INM person said I didn't have to fill out anything. I am permanente and my wife is temporal.

Firstly  I would make a note of that person's name and address so that you can go back to him and kick him in the b*Los when you are refused reentry 

On 7/1/2019 at 10:37 AM, Alpha1 said:

Would make sense if you have Pemanente the card should suffice and the number...ah, but that would be too simple!

FMM cards are used by INM for statistical purposes. If everyone counted as a citizen or tourist they would not have the correct statistic of foriegners entering Mexico in their yearly tourist announcement when counting scanned foreign passports. With all foreigners getting FMM cards entering they can subtract legal residents of Mexico from their yearly tourist number statistic. Also when leaving by airplane. Seems land crossing are usually ignored by Residente Permanente and Residente Temporal residents of Mexico and they might know this. By land they do know when a foreign tourist gets a FMM tourist card.

Google Translation:

Obtaining a FMM:

" Procedures Internment of foreigners holding immigration documents.

Migration's national institute

Internment of foreign persons holding immigration documents

Are you a foreigner? Do you have a valid immigration document issued by the National Migration Institute that proves a condition of stay? The National Migration Institute helps you do it!

Necessary documents

Required Document Presentation

Valid passport or identity document and travel that is valid under international law

Original

Residence or visitor card, exit or return permit, valid

Original

Multiple Migration Form (FMM) duly completed for statistical purposes *

Original

Where appropriate, provide the immigration authority with the information required

Original

* This document is physically obtained upon entering the country.

Costs

Concept

Procedure

Free "

https://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/internacion-de-personas-extranjeras-titulares-de-documento-migratorio/INM616

41 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

AlanMexicali  I guess my problem is that INM makes errors in the collection of the cards, and then the PR loses their status and has to go through the procedures of reinstating it with the added expense and problems this involves.

INM scans RP and RT visas/cards at airports in Mexico on international flights arriving and collects FMM cards from airlines after you fill out the FMM at the airport and have them stamp it when leaving Mexico. If a mistake is made it is the legal resident filling out the FMM card as a tourist. It is not INM not doing what they are instructed to do as they do not fill out FMMs. At land crossings the same thing. If a legal resident happens to pass through Mexican Immigration. If they don't pass through Mexican Immigration nothing happens as they don't scan passports in this case and don't know where they have been. I don't see any problem if a legal residents knows what they are doing.