Chapala.com Webboard

Can you use Whatsapp with internet to call international for free (not U.S. or Canada)

sm1mex

My friend in Ireland told me she calls her brother in Miami using Whatsapp with internet for free (not using cellular data).  Can I call international to Europe or other countries using whatsapp internet for free?  I know I can call U.S. and Canada for free with my Telcel plan, but have never tried to call someone in other countries using whatsapp with internet..

WhatsApp is not a phone substitute, like Skype, although it might as well be; it is a chat messenger with voice and video, which is a great stride forward. Like FaceTime, FaceBook Messenger, and more. As long as you are on a WiFi link to your phone, it is free wherever you are. And it may also be free depending on what kind of data plan you have for Internet for your phone.

Here, for $150p every 27 days, TelCel gives me unlimited Facebook, Messenger, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, AND WhatsApp. So using WhatsApp has no affect on my Internet time. I can call anywhere in the world that I want, no cost.

I know you can voice, text and call over whatsapp.  Hopefully it is free internationally using wi fi only..  As far as whatsapp not having credit card information, Telcel knows where you are and what you are doing, so if it's not free, you get charged international rate.

1 hour ago, sm1mex said:

My friend in Ireland told me she calls her brother in Miami using Whatsapp with internet for free (not using cellular data).  Can I call international to Europe or other countries using whatsapp internet for free?  I know I can call U.S. and Canada for free with my Telcel plan, but have never tried to call someone in other countries using whatsapp with internet..

YES... The two parties require Whatsapp and an internet connection... 👍

BTW security is much more secure than email, messages are encrypted both ways. 

You can only call another WhatsApp user with WhatsApp. That means someone who has WhatsApp installed on their smartphone. 

That being said, messaging, voice calls, video calls and file/ photo transfer are excellent and free worldwide. Telcel does not charge for WhatsApp use on your data plan.

36 minutes ago, bontepar said:

With telmex land line you can call unlimited land and cell phones anywhere on this globe basic plan including internet 389 pesos per month

The old $389 plan allowed you to phone some 50 countries for a unlimited amount of time. Not any more

Today you have the following limitations

200 minutos a celular,
100 llamadas locales y minutos LADA

I upgraded to the $499 package and got my unlimited calls again plus faster internet. I now get

better than 16 Mb/sec down

Oh by the way, the last time I checked the $599 package allows long distance calling to even more countries, 65

A couple of things. If you already had a $389 plan before TelMex changed it, you are grandfathered in. You still get your long-distance calls. As I pointed out, WhatsApp is free to anywhere in the world when on WiFi, and it never charges, so the only time you would get charged for an audio call is if you were on a data plan that doesn't cover it, perhaps when roaming or some such thing. What'sApp only works with Internet, but it doesn't care if that is WiFi, cellular Internet, or using your PC. (There is a WhatsApp program you can install on your PC, or you can simply go to their website and sign in to use your home Internet... either way.)

5 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

..... (There is a WhatsApp program you can install on your PC, or you can simply go to their website and sign in to use your home Internet... either way.).....

The PC interface only works by linking to WhatsApp on your smartphone. Not a stand-alone capability.

52 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

And that's more than enough. As long as you are home with your phone, it works. I'm looking for ways to figure out how you would use it on your PC when you are not at home...

As long as it's a laptop and signed in to the same WiFi network as your phone it will work anywhere.

That is true, and we could go on clarifying all night. You said " The PC interface only works by linking to WhatsApp on your smartphone. Not a stand-alone capability." How about "As long as it's on any kind of computer that takes the app or can get to the Website, and is connected to WiFi it will work anywhere in the world."

But my comment was simply "There's also an app for the PC." This is a tool for cell phones, so wherever you are as long as you are connected to either WiFi or cellular data, it will work, which obviates the need for hauling along a laptop. Anything else?

9 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

That is true, and we could go on clarifying all night. You said " The PC interface only works by linking to WhatsApp on your smartphone. Not a stand-alone capability." How about "As long as it's on any kind of computer that takes the app or can get to the Website, and is connected to WiFi it will work anywhere in the world."

But my comment was simply "There's also an app for the PC." This is a tool for cell phones, so wherever you are as long as you are connected to either WiFi or cellular data, it will work, which obviates the need for hauling along a laptop. Anything else?

OK. I give up. I think you just made it more confusing. 😂😂

Archived