Chapala.com Webboard

Seeking info re masonry property walls

MNmx

Good morning.  I need to build a 46m property wall. It seems that 3.5m high is somewhat standard here.  Is block better than brick? Is a permit required? Are there contractors who specialize is this type of work?  In advice, personal experience stories and/or recommendations appreciated. 

The walls are typically built like house walls, with a 1m foundation and castillos (reinforced concrete posts) as well as reinforced concrete tops; the intervening spaces being made of plastered brick.  Even with such sturdy construction, the walls are still subject to the frequent ground movement in the earthquake-prone area.

It's an entirely different approach which might require some drip irrigation, but eventually I will be building a perimeter 'wall' consisting  of a similarly tall, stout chain link fence with a nice mix of vines and flowers eventually overgrowing it.  If security is required, coils of razor wire might be incorporated(?)  But tasteful masonry, especially elegant stonework, is typical of fine Mexican design, and if a Maestro still makes $600/mo, should represent terrific long term value.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MNmx said:

Thank you, everyone. Utilitus, can one get extra tall fencing here?

Good question - I'm writing from northern California, and the last time I needed an extra heavy galvanized post for a wide ag-style gate on our ranch east of Napa, I couldn't find what I was looking for at Home Depot, etc., even here.  But such should be available somewhere, probably in Guadalajara, maybe 'primarily' to contractors.  Sorry.  But I'd keep an eye out for an existing installation, metal, masonry or otherwise that appeals to you, and make inquiries.  Bon chance.

A galvanized wire fence won't keep out noise and street dust... even when it's completely covered with vines. A block wall can be painted but it will never be as aesthetically pleasing as a brick wall which will always look great... even bare.

• Like 1

Brick walls, while quite attractive, will be far more costly than block. Not only are the bricks about half the height of a block, requiring more labor time to lay, the bricks themselves are about double the price, in my experience. What can look quite nice is a block  and plastered wall, with the castillo supports and the top layer done in bricks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, MNmx said:

Good morning.  I need to build a 46m property wall. It seems that 3.5m high is somewhat standard here.  Is block better than brick? Is a permit required? Are there contractors who specialize is this type of work?  In advice, personal experience stories and/or recommendations appreciated. 

I need pretty much the same wall, what did you find out ? Care to share which contractor you went with ? What type of wall ?

Thanks

• 1 year later...
On 11/26/2019 at 2:38 PM, MexLuis said:

I am wondering if anyone on this thread knows of contractors who would build such a wall, either in brick or block.  Thank you.

Any masonry contractor or builder can build a block or brick wall. It's a very basic thing and doesn't require any specialty skills.

I agree to a certain extent mudgirl. However, your statement only applies if the bricks are going to be covered over. If you're going to be seeing the bricks then you will want a skilled brick layer. It's too late tonight to post photos but I'll post tomorrow 1) of the brick work done in my atrium by JP Home Services and 2) the house next door. There is a dramatic difference depending on what you want the end result to look like... and dare I say functionality?

GoodBrickWork (2).jpg

BadBrickWork (1).jpg

Edited by Ferret
adding photos

Stone is much better than brick and mortar. Mortar requires much more maintenance. Repairing salitre damage, repainting etc. whereas stone looks good for many years with little maintenance. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ferret said:

And that kind of stonework, with no mortar, requires an even higher level of expertise.

I added my photos to my post above.

They usually use mortar between the stones but it is a small amount and mostly hidden so it doesn't become a problem on the surface as it does with brick walls that are coated with mortar. The stones are what is exposed to view. Concrete bricks walls are usually plastered with mortar, brick walls often are. There is lots of this expertise in Mexico. Probably cheaper in the long run to use stone and it looks better.

I have the same wallhere in Ajijic... with the little stones between the large one, It is ot about getting better quality but about money.. If you want a similar wall here pay for it and you will get it..As far as the cantera you can get anything you want in Guadalajara again it is a question of money. not of better quality in San Miguel.

Ajijic was a fisherman and campesino village so the money was not there to build such properties but as far as the work is concerned you can get the same  if you pay for it. Many people chose to spend their money in other things than stone walls  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, utilitus said:

May I ask, when discussing stonework Lakeside, with good quality control, can it match the (apparent) quality of this stonework from SMA ?  (I know where some good portal sculptors work on Obraje in SMA).  Thanks.

01IHH-MEXICO-slide-SL9X-superJumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

Yes

Thanks for assurances re local stonework.  I'll never forget my first trip to SMA in the early 80's when I was walking in a a high-end  neighborhood and came across a craftsman installing a lintel for a beautiful portal and while chatting learned that it cost about USD$200 (then).  IMhO, this typical art form can represent Mexican design at its' best, and if respected could last centuries.  Well worth some extra (doomed) dollars, so long as one is careful and patient in contracting...  Thanks again.

Well in San Miguel if you are in the right area you see a lot of that work but here you may have a nice one , here and there so the effect from the street is very different.. There  is a competition of stone workers in Guadalajara  in the center every year.. or used to be, I have not gone lately and you can find great stone workers..t about the 200 dollars though..