Chapala.com Webboard

AT&T any local experience

I have the North American agreement with AT&T.  It was great until about 2 months ago when my calls started being dropped.  Right at this moment my phone is showing that I have only emergency service.  This happens at all times of the day and evening.  I have discussed this with the AT&T office and was told about a month ago that they had been working on the system and everything should now be fine.  It wasn't and isn't.  I will be going back to the office this week to see if I can get my money back for the year's service that I paid for in advance. 😔

I love my ATT service and use it here and in the US.   Renewing my contract yearly has proven formidable because it seems the ATT left hand doesn`t know what the right hand is doing.   Have two phones, one got to keep the previous number the other never did follow through with it despite numerous visits to the office in Ajijic.  There was a chap running the Chapala store who was on the ball and I never had a problem.  He is no longer there and the current staff can`t seem to resolve the problem.   Have not been able to find a troubleshooter with ATT Mexico and ATT USA doesn`t seem to care.   

Bottom line, they don`t renew your contract but rather start all over as if you`re fresh of the boat and inevitably screw it up.

So I would comment Customer Service sucks while reception service has proven better than Telcel for me.

I have also tried both and am sticking with Telcel. It absolutely depends on the area in which you live. I purchased a 100 peso sim card from AT&T for my phone to try it out. Even though their website says 100% coverage in this area, it is spotty at best. Absolutely dismal reception with AT&T at my house in Riberas and I specifically wanted to use my phone as a hotspot should Telmex die again (only been twice but once for seven months and once for three weeks was enough to make me wary). It may be wonderful for you but don't spend any more than 100 pesos to find out.

6 hours ago, Ferret said:

I have also tried both and am sticking with Telcel. It absolutely depends on the area in which you live. I purchased a 100 peso sim card from AT&T for my phone to try it out. Even though their website says 100% coverage in this area, it is spotty at best. Absolutely dismal reception with AT&T at my house in Riberas and I specifically wanted to use my phone as a hotspot should Telmex die again (only been twice but once for seven months and once for three weeks was enough to make me wary). It may be wonderful for you but don't spend any more than 100 pesos to find out.

I did the same and came up with the same conclusion. 

19 hours ago, Wookie said:

I have the North American agreement with AT&T.  It was great until about 2 months ago when my calls started being dropped.  Right at this moment my phone is showing that I have only emergency service.  This happens at all times of the day and evening.  I have discussed this with the AT&T office and was told about a month ago that they had been working on the system and everything should now be fine.  It wasn't and isn't.  I will be going back to the office this week to see if I can get my money back for the year's service that I paid for in advance. 😔

Good luck with that.  I got the service about three months ago.  I has NEVER worked in our house in Riberas.  Although I paid cash at the local office, they will not give a refund.  Only way to get it is to go to Guadalajara.  I do not understand this.  Why couldn't they just request a refund for me to be sent to our address???  No customer service when you want your money back.

My contract runs out in two days and I will be returning to Telcel. AT&T was great for the last year until a month ago. Now dropped calls, no service, more dropped calls. The person in the office just said they were trying to fix it. I felt sorry pretty sorry for her. 

I have ATT from the local office, Mexican plan, can call US and Canada for no charge--not so great in US, or never exactly figured out what was wrong.  Works fine here in Mexico.  I paid a year in advance to get the great rates which in retrospect seems foolish, although ATT has done fine for me, live in Rancho del Oro.  

On 7/28/2018 at 2:53 PM, Beebee said:

I have ATT from the local office, Mexican plan, can call US and Canada for no charge--not so great in US, or never exactly figured out what was wrong.  Works fine here in Mexico.  I paid a year in advance to get the great rates which in retrospect seems foolish, although ATT has done fine for me, live in Rancho del Oro.  

I also have a yearly pre-paid AT&T Mexico plan. I "brought my own phone" so bought only the plan. Paid 12 months at sign up and get 12 free months - so quite the bargain. I have used my phone all over the US and Canada and my full 2gb of data is available to me in the USA and Canada at LTE/4G speeds.  It renews every month same time without me having to do anything.  As I type this I am in Canada on vacation and see they topped me up this month on top of the unused data from last month.  That may be something new - but the plan does not provide for it - nice just the same.  I live in Vallarta and wold rate the service in Vallarta as very good but there are some dead zones - like around Costco (which is strange).  But then Telcel was a dead zone there for me before I switched to AT&T.  So in a nutshell: 1.The prepaid yearly plans offer a second year free, 2.Great roaming when in the USA and Canada, 3.No need to go to OXXO or wherever to top up,  4.Good App on phone and web to track usage. 

• 2 months later...

We are visiting Ajijic (staying in West Ajijic) and have a Project Fi phone that we use as a hotspot (older Nexus 6P) and the bandwidth is quite acceptable (see Speedtest result).  Seems with the variable reliability in cable service internet wireless and maybe decent roof antenna as extra boost is best here until beeper service is in place.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2879385972

For project Fi, have two SIM cards, one in phone to use as hotspot, and another data-only SIM for use in cellular iPad. The speedtest results were from plain wifi iPad connected to the phone hotspot.  The plan is never more than $60 USD which expensive based on standards here BUT the data is truly unlimited.  

~Dubhead

Archived