Chapala.com Webboard

friend needs to get CURP number to open bank account they have temporary visa

RV has it correct. The others don't. If your RT or RP card doesn't have your CURP alphanumeric number on the front under your name only by law can INM assign a valid CURP to all legal foreign residents of Mexico. No bank [they make one up but is invalid], no online federal government website, no Registro Civil can assign a valid CURP to a foreigner as others have suggested.

Thanks, Alan, for the explanation.  I think many may remember that we could get a CURP at the federal building in Guadalajara, but that was about 15 years ago, and things have changed....a lot!  In fact, back then, the government had no idea how to handle married women, so my wife actually has two CURP numbers; the old one in her maiden, Mexican format, name, and the one issued in 2012 by INM with her name as it appears on her passpolrt and Residente Permanente card.

Yes, only INM can issue expat CURP numbers now.  Go to them, if you need one.

10 years ago, but Multivolares would not let Tourist Visa holders open an account. Had to be FM3 or Peramanente. I know there are all new classifications for immigration now,  but am surprised that any bank would allow tourists to open accounts.

I still have to go into Multivolares once a year and show them my immigration papers. This might have to do with the Casa de Bolsa (managed investment accounts) side of the business. I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a place in Chapala, a few doors down from the bus station, that will do the work for you while you wait to get the "other" tax RFC number you need (your CURP is listed on your Temp visa). It is an Internet cafe, orange walls inside if I recall, and the woman owner will get online, go to a .gob website, and get the code to get you your tax #. I did this a few months ago. It cost me 20 pesos, took about 15 minutes. 

Archived