Chapala.com Webboard

Teocintle Maíz :: FABULOUS Ajijic Restaurant

More Liana

I hope all of you Lakesiders enjoy reading about your wonderful Teocintle restaurant.  I loved it.  

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2018/07/you-cant-go-home-again-restaurante-teocintle-maíz-ajijic-jalisco-.html

13 hours ago, More Liana said:

I hope all of you Lakesiders enjoy reading about your wonderful Teocintle restaurant.  I loved it.  

http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2018/07/you-cant-go-home-again-restaurante-teocintle-maíz-ajijic-jalisco-.html

Oh dear--what's sad and confusing about this?  Someone posted those little emojis as responses.  

15 hours ago, More Liana said:

It was a great review and I really enjoyed the pictures.  Is that you in the middle in the photo with three people?  :)

I'm chagrined to admit we haven't been there even though it is just a couple blocks from our house.  Will correct that soon!

Now that I've checked it out, I DO know the place, although I haven't been in yet. The place is on the south corner, while from the photo I thought it was on the north. In their early days, they had maybe three tables, and limited hours. Their outside menu said they had items like pozolito, which is a variation on pozole. They have since expanded.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

It was a great review and I really enjoyed the pictures.  Is that you in the middle in the photo with three people?  :)

I'm chagrined to admit we haven't been there even though it is just a couple blocks from our house.  Will correct that soon!

Go by all means!  And yes, that would be me.  😎

They have added non-Mexican food, such as tempura, which is a shame. It is a good restaurant with a good chef and should stick to the original idea of providing dishes from various parts of Mexico. Many are interested in dining on new and interesting dishes such as those.

8 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

They have added non-Mexican food, such as tempura, which is a shame. It is a good restaurant with a good chef and should stick to the original idea of providing dishes from various parts of Mexico. Many are interested in dining on new and interesting dishes such as those.

Their menu changes frequently.  There was no tempura on the menu the evening I was there, although there were some menu items that were more modern than traditional.  Like you, I prefer traditional Mexican food and was served precisely that.  As I mentioned in the article, I left the choice up to the chef and the manager.

Why don't you get their owner/manager signed here and have them post their blackboard menu here too. To many people that would be more interesting reading than internet speed, noise levels....

13 hours ago, Tiny said:

Why don't you get their owner/manager signed here and have them post their blackboard menu here too. To many people that would be more interesting reading than internet speed, noise levels....

Tiny, that's a super idea.  I'll talk to them about it!  Thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2018 at 12:27 AM, More Liana said:

Yes, please encourage them to join and post in Restaurant Happenings.

We went by there but couldn't get in.  It is very busy.  Will have to get reservations.

My experience has not been that good

Seafood tempura, the seafood was ok but the batter was disgusting heavy oil soaked with 3 dipping sauces, only the peanut was recognizable.

My wife's beef stew was equally tasteless and unseasoned.

I do agree with the comments about menus all should be display outside the  restaurant and on line if possible. I never pass through the door without seeing a menu first.   

58 minutes ago, ajijiccharlie said:

You do know that More Liana lives in Mexico. Maybe someone here sgould take the initiative. 

On 7/25/2018 at 12:27 AM, More Liana said:

You do know that it looks like someone is taking an initiate. Any other volunteers can work with other restaurants in the area that have Daily Specials to get them to sign up and posts their specials. Free ads for the restaurants. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I usually agree with More Liana on restaurants but not on this one.  We went this evening.  We found it to be noisy, erratic service, with so so food and small portions, uncomfortable chairs.  Doesn't begin to measure up to Cocinart in both our opinions. 

We've had that style of food for half the price in Oaxaca and it was far better there.  Really don't understand the appeal of this one.  Won't be back.

Different strokes for different folks.  :)

Went there last night and couldn't  disagree more. Found the food to be innovative, tasty and very reasonable. Ownership was delightful and considerate. A great addition to our restaurant scene. We are lucky to have them here. 

I didn't comment on the ownership or the price, both of which we don't disagree with Bob about.  I guess we are not much into "innovative" food.  Let me elaborate on my earlier comments.

My wife had the arrechera on a stick, I had something called barbacoa de res.  She was pretty satisfied with hers, mine much less so.  It was stringy, tough and salty and came with micro portions of rice and beans.  Had the same dish in Oaxaca far better prepared than this.

Presentation of both meals was nice.

65 pesos for a skimpy pour of white table wine did not impress.

But more than anything, the place was just noisy, which for us is a killer.  And it is a very common killer for restaurants in these parts.  It was necessary for me to remove my hearing aids in this one and of course that made it impossible to converse with my spouse.  They were playing a radio loudly in the kitchen and along with the diners shouting over each other made for quite a din.

The negative impact of noise on digestion and stress while dining is very well known and much discussed in the literature.  Bottom line is a lot of noise when dining is bad for your health.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  :)

Helluva thing when a place is so noisy that the hearing aids have to come out!!!  Looks like there's some serious disagreements about this restaurant.  .

I put up with the inevitable amount of noise that comes with the territory in restaurants located directly on the Carretera, such as Gosha's, because everything else is so good.  Dined there last evening since the power was out at our casa.  Great kabobs.  I noticed that there were very generous pours of wine being served at the next table, both of a white and a red.  Restaurants that do otherwise are doing themselves no favors.

Four of us went to Teocintle Maiz on Wednesday evening. Two of us had chamorro, one had arrachera on a skewer and one had the salmon. All dished were beautifully presented, perfectly cooked and were delicious. Service was very attentive, very generous wine pourings and the place was full. We will definitely return.

Archived