Chapala.com Webboard

VPN

HarryB

I have Nord VPN and the basic Telmex $389 package. I notice that the VPN seems to cut my download speed in half. 1.1-8 without VPN. 300-600K with the VPN. Is there anything I can do other than the obvious---not use the VPN. I mostly download Torrents movies and TV?

Most VPNs either won't let you download torrents or severely restrict them.  I tried Nord VPN and never could get it to work.  I whined loud enough and got a refund.  Now I use Opera for my browser, it has a built-in VPN, and for my torrents I just let it rip.  Come and get me.

Nord is one of many that promise no downgrade in speed, because their main program is not actually VPN; it's a DNS changer. I have seen no loss.

You might try "factory" resetting your TelMex modem by poking the hole in the back for 30 seconds or so. You should then test your speed. You may have to reset the Nord after, but I would test before and after.

NordVPN states "In order to setup VPN client connection on your router, it has to support at least one of these connection types: PPTPL2TP or OpenVPN. Furthermore, it has to support it as a "Client" (as opposed to a "Server") to allow you to connect it to NordVPN servers".  (https://support.nordvpn.com/#/Connectivity/Router/1047409322/Setting-up-a-router-with-NordVPN.htm)

I have been using the older Huawei modem/router from TelMex and while I have seen a slower speed using NordVPN it was not by much - but I have the $389 package from TelMex and its through fibre optic cable here in Vallarta. That said there are still issues so I have purchased an Asus RT-AC68U Router, which has OpenVPN capability built in - and is listed and recommended by NordPN.(https://support.nordvpn.com/#/Connectivity/Router/1087269942/What-router-is-recommended-for-use-with-NordVPN.htm)

I picked this up in Canada for under $187.00 CAD from Staples and will install it to the old Huawei modem/router and disable the wifi and other connections and hook everything including TV up to the new router.  This means everything in my home will be covered under NordVPN which I can select which country I wish to be seen from (or for that matter server) using my iPhone or any device (just like we now can).  More importantly I can leave the default as Canada, USA or UK - and both wifi and tv services will always see the router default location. While I want the freedom to surf and see media content that is restricted - I also want to build a wall from Google.

This is exactly what most VPN services don't tell you in their ads. You can use a VPN service on your PC, but actually installing it onto a router requires... as pointed out above... a "third party" router that connects to the TelMex modem/router, and requires a special setup.

They like to refer to it as a "flashed" router and in my case I "flashed" it to Express VPN and unless I could figure out how to undo things, it is now permanently "set" to those settings. Which is fine since it does exactly what John describes.

Haha.......unless you have both how would you know?

In my case I don't subscribe to Netflix so I can't even testify on Express VPN.  Amazon Prime, Hulu Live, Philo and CBS All Access all work fine for me and I'm lucky when I get 10 down.

YMMV

50 minutes ago, shortstop said:

Of Nord VPN & Express VPN which is the more reliable for offering Netflix on a continuing basis.  Thanks for any info.

To get American Netflix, you need a DNS proxy service; a VPN won't cut it. 

And how do I know that I have Netflix USA? 

Apart from going into Settings > Get Help > Member, the easiest way is to see if you have the latest Star Wars movies. If you can play Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi, you have Netflix USA; if you can play the original or The Empire Strikes Back, you are watching Mexican Netflix. Different broadcast licenses for different territories. 

Just because the menus and descriptions are in English doesn't mean that you are accessing Netflix USA. Waaay too many people down here are fooled into thinking that. 

Its rather obvious on Netflix - as you will see a LOT of Spanish movies and tv programs if your in Mexico.  Or you can look and see what the source IP address is of the Netflix being accessed.  I have NordVPN and Canadian Netflix - though I can pick and choose where I am "seen" or really am.  Not going to matter in a year or so as Netflix builds a robust "global" service that provides more equity in the library of the films and tv shows that are available in all regions.

Normally if someone "catches up" with EVPN at worst you are down for a day. Get into chat with them and most of the time they will simply tell you which server to change to. Sometimes they do need to do a complete fix and that is almost always less than a day.  In 90 days since I have been using the flashed router for whole house coverage I have not had one instance where anything was blocked, but as I said, I don't subscribe to Netflix.  Back when I did Netflix was #2 most likely to block with Hulu Live #1 and (fingers crossed) Hulu has never been blocked.

YMMV

I am not sure how it works as I rarely use Bit Torrent, BUT I use a Buffalo NAS drive for backup and part of the software includes BIT Torrent.  Presumably you could schedule Bit Torrent of movies and use the Media Player to play them on your TV.   I am not interested in such stuff

Computer Guy can clarify, but there appears to be 2 approaches to VPN.   You can hire a monthly service, or presumably, you can hire Computer Guy to set up VPN on you computer on a one time basis and avoid a monthly charge.   I guess there is that annoying Netflix strategy of blocking VPN which presumably a monthly service would seek ways around for you

14 hours ago, El Cartero said:

Does Benno’s sell and install all one needs?

My wife had VPN installed on her XP, it was just a matter of tinkering with Windows software, no purchases necessary.    I guess it depends on what your needs are.   Opera may be adequate for accessing Spotify.    Ask an expert.  

The VPN and DNS services all require a monthly fee, except for a couple of free ones like TunnelBear and WindScribe; however, these offer a limited amount of data throughput and are not suitable for streaming or NetFlix. I would use them for quick access to U.S. websites that always start in the Mexican version.

There are two ways I have seen Netflix work properly on a TV, tablet, or phone. One, if the (TV) was purchased in the US and Netflix was set up there, it will continue to work here. Two, using a VPN on your PC will allow you to get Netflix on your computer, and you can then hook it up to your TV via a cable. Three, pappys solution: a third-party router that is "flashed". (To get one of those, you would first decide on a VPN/DNS provider and find out which brand of router they work with.) Using a flashed router provides coverage for all your devices, rather than trying to install something on individual devices. These routers are not available locally, but may be available in Guadalajara, or ordered online, once you know the brand you would need.

Netflix snoops out VPNs on any device that uses their Netflix "app". (Your computer uses their website, not an app.) In theory, if you used the netflix.com site on your tablet, you could "cast" it to your TV, but that is a whole other set of issues.

I use ExpressVPN and am still able to get U.S. Netflix on my phone, smart tv and PC. From time to time it appears that Netflix catches up with ExpressVPN. So far I have been able to try different locations in the settings and can get it to work pretty quickly in most cases. If I get stuck a quick message to ExpressVPN has pointed me in the right direction.

I have found a lot of content on Mexican Netflix so don't bother with the VPN all the time but when I need it I have been able to keep it working.

There are always exceptions, the reasons for which I have never been able to discern, except when the device was set up in the U.S. And only those who are happy to be continually tinkering with their PCs and settings will be interested in a VPN that doesn't work consistently. So I don't offer any guarantees when working with customers on these things, because I cannot.

All one can do is research a VPN service, and try out their free time period. Nord and Express tech support both tell me repeatedly that they cannot guarantee access either.

Archived