Chapala.com Webboard

Banning Straws, Plastic Bags and Styrofoam in Jalisco

Ferret

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We also need companies to get on board with this, and quit selling items in plastic, especially those things that don't need extra packaging. I absolutely hate buying batteries or other electronics that come in those indestructible plastic casings! That type of plastic has got to be the worst offender for not decomposing, and not having any other uses. At least plastic bags can be reused!

4 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Hear Hear suegarn! How about medicines in plastic with foil on the back?

That's usually done to keep the pills from degrading and sticking together due to moisture.  The alternative is to put them in a plastic bottle with some desiccant.......and then the user discards the plastic bottle. They can't win.

14 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Much of that packaging is done to defeat thieves who have become adept at tearing things open and using the five finger discount.

I'll bet that at least 85-90% of the population is honest enough not to steal small items like batteries and such.  Companies that use that type of packaging are harming the environment, because they're worried about the small amount of theft of their products?

I am not sure what I would do without my Walmart bags!!! Which I put my daily garbage in.. I guess I would have to go out and BUY those white  plastic ones... No seriously, I recall the time when we all left the supermarket with those Brown Paper Bags, what happened to those times???

If a company could accurately gauge what consumers would really pay for a product whose only improvement was "saving the planet" they could then get seriously to work on making that product and filling that demand. That's the hard part for a company, knowing what people would really pay versus what they claim they might pay.

Call me a skeptic, but I have serious reservations that banning plastic straws will save the planet.  What do you think of the idea of at least a $10 peso deposit on everything made of plastic? 

4 minutes ago, suegarn said:

I'll bet that at least 85-90% of the population is honest enough not to steal small items like batteries and such.  Companies that use that type of packaging are harming the environment, because they're worried about the small amount of theft of their products?

You would unfortunately lose that bet. OK, you tell me why they use that packaging. Because they like to ruin the environment?  Maybe because some stupid parent let their kid unwrap something like a battery and then swallowed it and the :() parent sued the company.....and won? If my reason is not 100% right I'm waiting to hear yours.

7 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I am not sure what I would do without my Walmart bags!!! Which I put my daily garbage in.. I guess I would have to go out and BUY those white  plastic ones... No seriously, I recall the time when we all left the supermarket with those Brown Paper Bags, what happened to those times???

The Tree Huggers said that was causing the early death of too many trees.  So along came plastic bags which were also much cheaper.  

3 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I just know that in Seattle the plastic bags were replaced with paper bags years ago (Some environmental law) and if we do not bring a paper bag or three back for the groceries you are about to buy, you are most often charged a small fee for a new one.

Local drug stores that provide small paper bags (not plastic) do not charge a special fee should you not bring a small bag back.

I would pay a deposit without hesitation. That puts the onus on the individual to be responsible.

As for theft, now they steal whole sleeves of pills. Check your packaging.

Trees are renewable but taking your own bags for your groceries is an even better idea. Walmart grocery bags are pathetic.

2 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I would pay a deposit without hesitation. That puts the onus on the individual to be responsible.

As for theft, now they steal whole sleeves of pills. Check your packaging.

I would gladly pay a deposit also. And theft is a much bigger problem than some people realize. Part of that, not all, is due to the fact "stealing" is no longer considered a crime in many areas that can get somebody in trouble.  Some jurisdictions actually will not respond to a call of simple shoplifting.

Society has much bigger problems than plastic straws. San Francisco won't even crack (no pun intended) down on people defecating in public. Used needles everywhere but plastic straws?  Really.........?

2 minutes ago, Ferret said:

One step at a time. Ya gotta start somewhere.

Haha, I agree 100%. Our only disagreement is where the starting line is.

Nice to have a civil discussion even if we disagree.  If I only saw "my" point of view here it would be very boring.

Perhaps we need a logo... "Back FOR the future". Anyway, it is best to start with the kids in school so they understand the "why". Recycling worked that way in Canada. I will wipe out the recyclables but I will not rinse out the recyclables using another valuable asset that should be preserved and used with care.

Archived