Chapala.com Webboard

Current Exchange Rates for USD

1 hour ago, Floradude said:

The official rate this morning is just over 19/1

"The Foreign Exchange Commission, made up of officials from the Ministry of Finance and Banco de México, is responsible for foreign exchange policy in Mexico. At the end of 1994, the Commission determined that the exchange rate would be determined by market forces (floating exchange rate/free float regime)."  Thus there is no official rate. See: http://www.banxico.org.mx/portal-mercado-cambiario/foreign-exchange-markets-exc.html   Assuming its' accuracy, the site Bournemouth mentions could be an excellent daily guide for retail cambio...

There is no such thing as a "current" exchange rate.  It varies up and down during each day.  For approx. values, look at sites like www.xe.com (which only gives "spot" rate), or www. oanda.com  which can be altered to give spot, or 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 % differences to indicate credit card,   ATM, etc. variances.  Also, various banks and other ATM's will not necessarily be using the same rate at any given time.

And do not forget when you load your money into the investment vehicles at the local investment bank to negotiate your exchange rate advantage.  Most used to give customers .25 to .40 above their stated rate.  Get it in writing in the notes of your account on the computer.  If you don't ask, you don't get.

These are all great ideas and each of us our own system.  What I do, and it may not be the best, but I like it, is wire down dollars from my US Bank to my Actinver brokerage account where it is invested in US dollars. Then when I am advised to do so by my Actinver Broker, Aurora, I convert to pesos. So far she has been much better at determining when to convert to pesos than I have been.

The last time, I got 20.8 pesos per US dollar by listening to her rather than listening to what I thought was best :)  Oh, I get a much better rate of exchange in my Actinver Brokerage account than I do when using my Actinver Bank account.

Is my system the best? Possibly not, but is much better than what I had been doing when I based it upon what I thought was the best time and/or account to make the exchange.

I just google  "1 dollar in pesos"  and get the current rate,  It shows 18.84 pesos per dollar right now.

Schwab paid 18.69 pesos per dollar for an ATM withdrawal that I made last night.  And remeber, Schwab refunds all ATM fees to your account, at the end of every month

49 minutes ago, holdrja said:

I just google  "1 dollar in pesos"  and get the current rate,  It shows 18.84 pesos per dollar right now.

Schwab paid 18.69 pesos per dollar for an ATM withdrawal that I made last night.  And remeber, Schwab refunds all ATM fees to your account, at the end of every month

Another Schwab user.  While the rate is certainly important, if you use an ATM often and do not have a ATM fee-free card you will pay a lot in fees.  On average my Schwab account refunds me appx. $25 USD a month in local ATM fees.

Archived