Chapala.com Webboard

Self Rising Flour

Tomas

Does self-rising flour exist in any of the stores..maybe under a different name?? I saw a great  recipe using S.R. flour and and melted real ice cream..I cup S.R. flour and 3/4 cup MELTED ice  cream, your flavor choice, mix well and bake in loaf pan, (forgot time) @ 350 until done...Got excellent reviews...I do not want to mix the other required ingredients to produce S.R. flour..

4 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Wow - this post "takes the cake". Self raising flour is bleached white flour with a bit of baking powder and some salt - what could be easier?

It is kind of surp-rising.

4 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Wow - this post "takes the cake". Self raising flour is bleached white flour with a bit of baking powder and some salt - what could be easier?

Just make sure  the baking powder is good. Sometimes we let it sit around too long. I think most have a date on the package.

Oh my goodness!!  Stupid me!  Next time I want to make our favorite cake I will just go out and buy whatever white flour I can find and a little baking powder and a little salt and put all the other expensive ingredients in with it and hope for the best.  Easy peasy.

8 hours ago, Wookie said:

Oh my goodness!!  Stupid me!  Next time I want to make our favorite cake I will just go out and buy whatever white flour I can find and a little baking powder and a little salt and put all the other expensive ingredients in with it and hope for the best.  Easy peasy.

Wookie, most people follow a recipe when baking a cake.  I just baked a chocolate cake yesterday--the recipe called for one and three-quarter cups of all-purpose flour, 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder, 1.5 teaspoons of baking soda, and several other "expensive ingredients".   It was indeed easy peasy and I make it all the time.  I've never used self-rising flour or a recipe that called for it.  Here's the recipe, if you'd like to try it.  One bowl, no fuss no muss, easy as can be.

image.png.ba826f2b77b180eca3980e6f955a7f81.png

Hola More Liana! This is a wonderful recipe and was originally published in the 1930's on the back of a Hershey's cocoa powder tin. I used to love my grandmother's chocolate cake and when I finally persuaded her to give me the (this) recipe, she admitted where she obtained it. Just a little history to demonstrate good survives. Saludos

4 hours ago, IMBurnen said:

Hola More Liana! This is a wonderful recipe and was originally published in the 1930's on the back of a Hershey's cocoa powder tin. I used to love my grandmother's chocolate cake and when I finally persuaded her to give me the (this) recipe, she admitted where she obtained it. Just a little history to demonstrate good survives. Saludos

Yes!  Thanks for mentioning this!

2 hours ago, Willie said:

More sugar than flour!!!!

Yes, the cocoa is unsweetened and needs a good bit of sugar to bring out the chocolate-y ness.  If you look at the ingredients list on a box of Nestle's QUIK, for example, you'll see that the first ingredient is sugar, the second is cocoa powder, for the same reason.  Fortunately cocoa powder from Tabasco, where cacao grows, is unadulterated with chemicals.

More Liana, sorry ... MY bad.  I apologise as I was all wet and very confused.  I was thinking about all purpose flour ... Not self rising flour that the op was asking about.  Appreciate the correction but appreciate the recipe even more 😊. Again, I apologise 

5 hours ago, Wookie said:

More Liana, sorry ... MY bad.  I apologise as I was all wet and very confused.  I was thinking about all purpose flour ... Not self rising flour that the op was asking about.  Appreciate the correction but appreciate the recipe even more 😊. Again, I apologise 

No apologies necessary, Wookie.  I am often all wet and very confused.  Make the cake and tell me how you like it!  I took mine to a party today and it was a big success.

13 hours ago, Wookie said:

Did you ice the cake? If do you want to share the recipe for the icing? 😊

I didn't--I'm not a fan of icing.  Here's the icing recipe that my friend sent me along with the cake recipe.  I haven't tried it, so you get to be the guinea pig.

image.png.e23f46d1f4e16b617e288779be73c962.png
Provecho!

5 hours ago, More Liana said:

I didn't--I'm not a fan of icing.  Here's the icing recipe that my friend sent me along with the cake recipe.  I haven't tried it, so you get to be the guinea pig.

image.png.e23f46d1f4e16b617e288779be73c962.png
Provecho!

I don't like icing either. Most of the time I have fruit with cake.

I have never used raw, natural cocoa. I have always used Dutch processed cocoa (I bought a large quantity from a chocolate factory, and never seemed to run out). There is a big difference and important to note that one uses baking powder, the other needs baking soda, or both.

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I have never used raw, natural cocoa. I have always used Dutch processed cocoa (I bought a large quantity from a chocolate factory, and never seemed to run out). There is a big difference and important to note that one uses baking powder, the other needs baking soda, or both.

That's exactly why the cake recipe I posted calls for both!

I like my chocolate cake with ice cream.

Goodness, 2/3rds cup of cocoa seems like an awful lot.  I do have one icing recipe that calls for 3 tablespoons of cocoa and that is plenty chocolate enough for me.  I like my cake plain also but my husband loves the icing .... Plus licking the bowl and spoon 😊

6 hours ago, Wookie said:

Goodness, 2/3rds cup of cocoa seems like an awful lot.  I do have one icing recipe that calls for 3 tablespoons of cocoa and that is plenty chocolate enough for me.  I like my cake plain also but my husband loves the icing .... Plus licking the bowl and spoon 😊

You asked for the one for this cake, this is what my friend uses.  If you have a recipe you already like, go for it by all means.  Have fun, and enjoy.

Archived