Chapala.com Webboard

Sliding door lock replacement

sm1mex

Who at lakeside can replace a lock in a sliding glass doors.  The present lock will need to be taken out and a new one installed.  It is the kind that has an odd long key and when locked the hook latch on the right  connects with the  slider on the left. The lock still works but is getting ready to die.

5 hours ago, dave0415 said:

Have you tried a little 3 in 1 oil. I use it on all my locks 2x a year. It is available at Walmart, Soriana and most hardware stores. BTW Heriberto is the best locksmith Lakeside. 

3 in 1 oil or any oil is the wrong thing to use on locks. Since the oil is wet, it collects dust/dirt. It gums up the lock. 

You should use lock graphite. It is powdered graphite. You can get it at Home Depot, locksmith and key shops. It comes in a small plastic tube.IMG_20180717_102654.thumb.jpg.5c1e4f5e5a5995f2ae33f3468a33f52b.jpg

What you posted makes sense and I once knew that then forgot it and have been for years using WD-40.  Thank you for sharing the correct information with us Tiny. I shall start using the correct product correctly.

Gosh I repeated the word correct way to many times above. Oh well. You get the point :) 

Archived