Chapala.com Webboard

IPhone 6s service

The battery has failed on my wife's IPhone 6s and requires replacement.  This too has been an issue with this phone.  Is there somewhere locally it can be serviced or is there service in GDL?  I do have another basically unused IPhone 6s with other issues that has a good battery in it.  Given this availability of a replacement battery is there someone locally who can be trusted to fix it correctly?

Thanks.

Benno's is in the same mall as the Pemex and Quality Care on the Libramiento.

You can also take it into Anna at her Telcel location opposite Chopsticks and beside Alex's Pasta Bar. She will probably take it into Guadalajara but it won't take long... or she may be able to fix it there.

I don't think anyone local can fix it; they all take them into Guadalajara. I even have a special tool called a spudger (basically a thin blade) for opening devices like this, but the internals pose quite a challenge, as do sourcing the parts. Many cell phones are designed with non-replaceable batteries, making their value questionable over time. Replacing a non-replaceable requires some skill.

I totally agree. When I was having problems with my iPhone 6s, I read a tutorial on how to replace the antenna. Fifty-seven steps just to get to it... keeping track of all the parts as they came off... and fifty-seven steps to put it back together. It's in my drawer now... nice camera though.

I agree Alpha  but this is my wife's phone.  I've tried without success to determine if there is any Apple authorized service in GDL.  Their web site just runs me around in circles.  I'm very nervous about taking it to any unauthorized service in this country.

I have an IPhone 6s and this is a known issue with the battery. Apple service is offering a replacement for $29.00 US until the end of the year, I think, but I'm not sure. I took mine in to the Genius Bar at an Apple store NOB and they replaced it with no questions asked, even though it's not under warranty or Apple Care. I think the only Apple store that will do this is in Mexico City - go online to apple.com.mx or call them. There is no Apple Store, as we know them,  in Guadalajara 

Thank you RV for the recommendation of Hall in GDL they are an authorized Apple distributor and indicated they can change the battery.  They got back to me almost immediately and indicated the phone may be eligible for the Apple new battery discount.  They asked for the serial number.

I think we'll first try working with Hall to solve this problem.  Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help.

There is a Mac store across from Wal-Mart on Lopez Mateos where Sirloin Stockade is. I think they will replace with an Apple battery. Second story above parking. My Iphone 6 used batteries like every 6 months.  My 10 lasts all day and night and I use my phone continually.  

Well Hall never got back to me after I gave them the requested information, the serial number of the phone.  Not sure why, I didn't ask for any freebies or discounts.  I just want to know if they can fix the damn phone!

So looking for other alternatives.  Recall that I do have a blacklisted and useless 6s with a good battery that could be switched into my wife's phone.

Here's the $64 question, is there anyone local that can be trusted to do this work right?

Thanks.

Impatient aren't you? You posted this on Friday and this is only Sunday?  WAIT for the expert to contact you or call them again on Monday (tomorrow). ! Or you may call tomorrow to iMail and ask them if the Mac repair guy will be there (from Hall Computers) on Wednesday and Hugo can look at it himself.

I got rid of my Iphone 6s also, battery wouldn't last hardly the day, my New Iphone X or 10 will last 2 days with continual use. 6's are the problem.

What about the girl at the Kiosk behind Telcel at the mall, she seems pretty knowledgeable about stuff.

I will never buy another iPhone. Seems to me that they have a lot of basic problems (not just the 6s). Batteries and antennas are basic requirements for functionality. For that kind of money, I want something that lasts longer than 18 months. Loved it and now hate them. I'm using an old Samsung S3 that I bought from a friend to tide me over. Still chuggin' along.

First I greatly respect you Ferret, so when I say, I have had 4 iPhones, the last 2 being a 6 plus and now the new one the new X model, and never have I had any problems with any of them. I am not suggesting that you are wrong, I guess I am suggesting that I have been lucky.

The one thing I know is that as I get older, I am remembering how to use fewer and fewer of the many apps I have loaded on my iPhone X.

I  am also reminded by many of my techie friends that their Android phones can do everything I would want for a lot less money than I paid for my latest iPhone. And they are probably right, but I refuse to admit it :) 

I will continue to pay too much in the future and to continue love my latest iPhone in the future.

And I respect you too Pete. Got a quick question for you. Did you buy your iPhones in Mexico or in the U.S. or in Canada? If I had bought mine at Best Buy in Canada, I could have traded in the dud towards any other phone. They would have fixed it and sold it again as refurbished. Because I bought it brand new here in Mexico, I'm SOL.

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

Impatient aren't you? You posted this on Friday and this is only Sunday?  WAIT for the expert to contact you or call them again on Monday (tomorrow). ! Or you may call tomorrow to iMail and ask them if the Mac repair guy will be there (from Hall Computers) on Wednesday and Hugo can look at it himself.

You don't know the whole story and I don't appreciate the rude personal comment or the lecture.  My wife depends on this phone for a lot and we are in the middle of something that we really need it for.

Please butt out of my thread, thanks.

What about the people next to Alex's Pasta?  Has anyone had them do this sort of thing on an I Phone?

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

My wife depends on this phone for a lot and we are in the middle of something that we really need it for.

Having used computers and cell phones since 1975, I know that electrical equipment  fail. That is why I have $300 9 inch Acer laptop and $50 BLU cell phone as back up. They have been used several times by friends and family.  The laptop is also used for backup files. To use the cell all is needed to be  done is to put in a phone card.

I don't understand why people would let them self into this kind of situation. 

In answer to your question Ferret. I bought my iPhone X in Seattle and traded in my older iPhone 6 plus at that time. The net result was that rather than paying $1000 US for the X, I only paid $849 or so for it.  Yes I know that is too darned much, but I had to have an iPhone.

Yes I have an iPhone addiction :) 

1 hour ago, johanson said:

The net result was that rather than paying $1000 US for the X, I only paid $849 or so for it.  Yes I know that is too darned much

No Pete, that wasn't too much. That was only $349 more than what I paid for my main cell phone, backup cell phone and backup laptop. HAHAHAHA. 

All for a brand name.

Archived