Chapala.com Webboard

AMAZON DELIVERIES IN MEXICO?

I use Amazon.com.mx a few times a month.  I have Prime and mostly order Prime items.  I have also used Amazon.com (US), too.  I have successfully used Costco.com.mx (most recently for contact lenses) and MercadoLibre.  I do not have a Mexican credit card and other than MercadoLibre, have used my US credit card at the aforementioned sites.  For MercadoLibre I pay in cash at either Bancomer or OXXO.  

I have all my orders sent to Handy Mail's SAT office so I do not have to be at home for deliveries.  DHL had problems finding HandyMail at first (over a year ago) but I added HandyMail to Google Maps and that seems to have solved that problem.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Two day Amazon Prime Mexico deliveries often show up the next day. Guadalajara must have a huge fulfillment center. Even shipments to Nayarit come from GDL.

Amazon US deliveries also tend to show up a day or 2 earlier than promised. 

I've had expensive pool equipment shipped Amazon US to Mexico. They included the duty and shipping in the price so there were no surprises. 

I just have to THINK about ordering something from Amazon.com.mx and two hours later the delivery man rings my doorbell.  "You thought about this?  Here it is."

Not true, but close enough.  The Amazon.com.mx delivery speed is lightning-fast.  Next-day service sometimes, two-day service normal.  Great here in Mexico City.  Who woulda thunk?

Amazon US is great. Just make sure you enter your MX shipping address so you are told when looking at a product if it can be shipped to Mexico.

It is better to click on "Ship to Mexico" on the left menu and the seller, "Amazon.com." Shipping from an Amazon warehouse is cheaper and faster. It always is shipped with DHL. If it is shipped by another vendor it can cost more and might not be DHL. Once DHL has the order you can count on it being delivered within 3 days and that is regular shipping, not Prime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I ordered recently from Amazon.com.mx. The product had to come from the US so Amazon put it in the US postal service and then in the Mexican postal system. It took a month to reach this area and then the Mexican postal service didn't know whether I had to pick it up In Ajijic or Jocotepec as both denied they had it. 

Maybe stick to products that aren't imported.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Ordering from Amazon US is no problem and very reliable. They sometimes use DHL but more and more they use "AMZMX" which presumably is their own shipping service using local contractors. I have found both to be reliable, although AMZMX is less trackable.

I find that if the same product is available from Amazon US and Amazon Mexico, it's usually a little cheaper to order from Amazon US, including paying the shipping and "estimated" duty. I have actually had refunds of a few cents when the duty was below the estimate paid.

As Joco said, if you set your default shipping address to a Mexican address, you will be informed whether a product will ship to Mexico as soon as you view it. Most things that are shipped by Amazon will ship here, but items shipped by third parties may not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ordered 2 of those after shower towel coverups from Amazon. The white one made it to DHL (which is an option to have it delivered to and you just pick it up). No problem The aqua one was not let through customs and destroyed. Guess customs doesn't like aqua. So I have had good and bad experiences. I will still use them though

5 hours ago, cedros said:

I ordered recently from Amazon.com.mx. The product had to come from the US so Amazon put it in the US postal service and then in the Mexican postal system. It took a month to reach this area and then the Mexican postal service didn't know whether I had to pick it up In Ajijic or Jocotepec as both denied they had it. 

Maybe stick to products that aren't imported.

I had one bad experience with Amazon US here .... it was an item sold by a 3rd party vendor and it was not Prime.  They put it thru US and MX postal and it was 3+ months late.  Now, I only use Prime mostly with Amazon Mexico as I find better prices there when I search by the Mexican/Spanish name for the item.  I am also expanding my vocabulary 🏆

Never a bad experience using Prime at Amazon MX or Amazon US.

• Haha 1

You have to be aware that there are many restrictions in Mexico (and worldwide) on items arriving by air. That is why I prefer Estafeta Laredo drop box. Send them an ad or picture of the item you wish to buy, and they will tell you whether thay can bring it in or not. Here is DHL's list

http://www.dhl.com.mx/en/country_profile/import_guidelines_express.html

• Haha 1

Our Estafeta contact in Houston has never refused to include anything in our regular consolidated shipments to us here in Mexico and believe me, some of the items would have been rejected by anyone else. No true contraband of any type but many items that Amazon says "do not ship to Mexico". Generic, non narcotic, meds from other countries included.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

Can I purchase items from Amazon Mexico using my American or Canadian credit cards presently associated with Amazon USA? e.g. When/if I register with Amazon.com.mx can I associate those cards or do I require Mexican cards?

I know you can use US credit cards for sure with Amazon Mex.  

15 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

Thank you. Did you register your US card on the account when you signed up? If so did you use a US billing address? I just tried this with Paypal Mexico and it was not accepted.

My recollection is I registered with Amazon Mex and it "found" my US credit cards from my Amazon US account, but it's been over a year so I can't be positive.  I use the same login name and same email address at both Amazon US and Amazon MX.

FYI for other payments in MX that take Paypal, I use my regular Paypal account (same one I use in US) and change the money payment to pesos. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

Can I purchase items from Amazon Mexico using my American or Canadian credit cards presently associated with Amazon USA? e.g. When/if I register with Amazon.com.mx can I associate those cards or do I require Mexican cards?

I use my Canadian CC on both with no problem

• 11 months later...

Recently I ordered from Amazon.Mx with no problem--Canadian cc. BUT I was not allowed to sign up for Amazon Prime . . . apparently your billing address has to be in Mex., Guatemala or Belize. Has anyone else encountered this? I received an email saying this:

Con respecto a tu consulta sobre el inconveniente para activar la membresía Prime con tu tarjeta con dirección en Canada, y luego de reportar lo sucedido y consultar el departamento encargado me indica que de momento  Amazon Prime está disponible exclusivamente para personas con dirección de facturación en México, Belice y Guatemala.

La información esta disponible en nuestras páginas de ayuda, te comparto el enlace:

https://amzn.to/2WYw5Ke

La información esta detalla en la parte inferior en Notas* en el ultimo punto.

Lamentamos cualquier inconveniente que esto pueda ocasionar y agradecemos tu confianza.

• 1 year later...

I have both a U.S. Amazon address and a Mexican one.  Every time I've tried to order U.S. products shipped directly to me here in Ajijic, the shipping cost is almost as much as the item themselves.  What am I doing wrong????  Would LOVE to be able to have things shipped to me here.  Appreciate any help offered.

I have a US Amazon account and my shipping address is here. My latest purchase arrived yesterday even though the eta was next Tues. I pay with a Canadian cc. I don't care what I'm charged for shipping  or I wouldn't be buying. I recently signed up for Prime movies/videos/TV shows, series only and I get the limited mexican version  for $99 p/month. Not interested in paying the annual fee for full Prime service.