Chapala.com Webboard

TRASH COLLECTION PROBLEM ?

I know that it was pretty bad in upper Ajijic several months ago but things are much better now, perhaps back to normal. I just got back from up north so I hope that this is the norm not the exception in and around Las Salvias.

2 minutes ago, johanson said:

I know that it was pretty bad in upper Ajijic several months ago but things are much better now, perhaps back to normal. I just got back from up north so I hope that this is the norm not the exception in and around Las Salvias.

Las Salvias used to get 6 day a week pickup but at the moment they are coming Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Ours has improved greatly over what it was a year ago.  6x a week and now they seem to take clippings/trimmings (bagged) any day of week.  Newer compactor truck which I believe is a private contractor.  

I sometimes notice that more northern east-west streets get picked up much later in day.  

We get 2 pickups per week, Monday and Friday in Chula Vista by private contractor, they pickup even on holidays which is great. Excellent service!

On 7/7/2018 at 10:56 AM, Apachewoman said:

Is there a trash removal crisis as in TRASH PICK-UP SERVICES not being provided

routinely in the Chapala Lakeside area?

If so, are homeowners disposing of their own trash?

The lake is 50 miles long with towns and villages along the north and south shores. There is not one answer to any question about services of all kinds. It depends upon not only which town or village you ask about but which neighborhood and even which streets. Also the point in time matters. What is true today was not necessarily true a few months ago and might not be true in the future. But, the general answer to your question is no. There is not a trash removal crisis in the lakeside area. 

• 7 months later...

Have about had it.  Worked hard to promote responsible trash and recycling actions @ 66 Cinco de frebereo, Ajijic.  So far, all I've experienced is frustration and petty theft. 

Hanging the trash bag on a nail in the electrical pole was an untenable solution.  Dogs end up getting at the bag and ripping the bottom out of them.  So.  Bought a new trash can four weeks ago.  It lasted about a week before it was stolen.  🤬

...Back to the bag on the pole...  Used a stronger nail.  Installed the nail tangibly higher, hopefully to keep out of dog's reach.  Experience during trash pickup, that nail gets loosened, bent, and installation is degraded.  Hung trash on nail before dawn this morning..  Checked it @ 0830 to find a dog ripped the bottom out of the bag.  ...Back to my own personal trash pickup...piece by piece out there in the street. 

Hung a new bag up @ 0930 and brought my white, conspicuously labeled recycling can out for pickup.  Checked outside @ 1030 to find yes, the trash bag was picked up, yes the recycling was picked up, but the entire recycle can is also GONE now.  ENUF! 🤬

Can someone please tell me where I can personally transport my trash and recyclables for proper disposal on a weekly basis?    

Usually, La Floresta has great trash pickup service, sometimes twice a day!  For some unknown reason, we haven't seen their trucks come by at all.  All the garbage cans in La Floresta and La Villita are full and overflowing.  That's very unusual for them.  And the La Floresta gardeners have not been around for several days either.

My understanding (from talking with the property manager for the condos where I live) is that , as of Jan. 1, there is no private trash pickup allowed--all trash must be picked up by the municipal trash trucks. Of course, this has resulted in the municipal service having more work to do! At our condos, I am told they are scheduled to be picking up Tue-Th-Sat between 1 and 5. Judging from the late hour at which they are picking up our trash (6 p.m. in the dark last night), I surmise they are overworked.

Archived