Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Debit Cards

Zeb

Get yourself a prepaid Mexican VISA card.  You can fill it with as much money as you think you need every day and keep the rest relatively safe.  We carry several on vacations to use in ATMs etc.. all over Mexico.

18 hours ago, solajijic said:

Get yourself a prepaid Mexican VISA card.  You can fill it with as much money as you think you need every day and keep the rest relatively safe.  We carry several on vacations to use in ATMs etc.. all over Mexico.

Does it work for internet purchases?

I've been thinking about your suggestion Solajijic and I remembered that when we first got here, this is what we looked for, and were unable to find any.  In the USA, we just go to any retail store to buy those.  Where would we get those here?

Multiva is/was an investment and money exchange operation that became a bank a few years ago to better serve the needs of the local community.

It does not have bank  branches throughout the country.  I have both an Intercam account and a Banamex account.

We have an Intercam account to which we each have a debit card.  However Intercam also offers a "vacation VISA" card which you can load with several different currencies.  And you can do it from your Intercam account using the dongle green thingy (which I hate).  

3 hours ago, solajijic said:

We have an Intercam account to which we each have a debit card.  However Intercam also offers a "vacation VISA" card which you can load with several different currencies.  And you can do it from your Intercam account using the dongle green thingy (which I hate).  

To be sure--have you used it for on line purchases?

I do not personally know.  However ask Marta at Intercam if they still offer the cards. I bought something with mine yesterday in town to make sure it was still active.  From what I can see on the card it isn't necessarily connected to Intercam but is a VISA product.  This would mean that Intercam acts as the product originator and everything from there, all the financial processing etc.. goes thru VISA.

Online purchases using debit cards are risky anymore with all the ID theft in the world, and if there's a problem with the transaction the other party already has the funds from your bank account . Credit cards offer a lot more protection/recourse, especially in problematic transactions as they are not drawing directly from your checking or savings account, plus you can file a dispute when things go awry.

If you need to make online debit card purchases, keep relatively small amounts of money in that account and make sure it's not linked to a savings or other account from that same bank. In so doing, the worst that can happen is someone could empty out an account( with not a lot of money in it) and you can then have the bank cancel that card and issue you a new one with a totally different number. (with a chip).

Another person mentioned a refillable VISA card. Better than a debit card as it isn't linked to your bank accounts.

For the above reason I never use my debit card for purchasing things-I only use it for ATMs.

On 7/6/2018 at 6:25 PM, lakeside7 said:

There have been horrible stories about Debit Cards and compromised accounts. 

It seems one  of the side benefits in having a Mexican Debit Card ...the problem of missing funds is your responsibly not the Banks!!!

Not true I have had some incidents using my debit card in GDL restaurants with double charging, changing a few pesos, obviously a fraud, reported it and within a few weeks I got credited back. Got a problem at an ATM one day, a 200 bill mixed within 500 bills made me loose some money, reported it and within 3 weeks problem got solved. I use my debit card whenever possible, safer than using cash.

On 7/8/2018 at 6:47 PM, blankletmusic said:

Online purchases using debit cards are risky anymore with all the ID theft in the world, and if there's a problem with the transaction the other party already has the funds from your bank account . Credit cards offer a lot more protection/recourse, especially in problematic transactions as they are not drawing directly from your checking or savings account, plus you can file a dispute when things go awry.

If you need to make online debit card purchases, keep relatively small amounts of money in that account and make sure it's not linked to a savings or other account from that same bank. In so doing, the worst that can happen is someone could empty out an account( with not a lot of money in it) and you can then have the bank cancel that card and issue you a new one with a totally different number. (with a chip).

Another person mentioned a refillable VISA card. Better than a debit card as it isn't linked to your bank accounts.

I had money taken from my account and my debit card is tied to it. The bank cancelled the card, issued a new card and refunded my money just like a bank in the US will do. You will not have money refunded with a prepaid card. It is safer to have a debit card to purchase online. I have Banco Azteca. It is open 7 days a week from 9 to 9 so it is very convenient. 

35 minutes ago, artsnob said:

Multiva has a branch in San Pedro Garza Garcia/Monterrey they also have atm machine around town. I us them regularly  there and in Ajijic no problem. Card not usable on internet. 

Multiva is an investment house and not a bank, isn't it? 

Have had a Bancomer debit card for 9 years, used to make many in-store purchases with never a problem. Have never used it to pay online. Many Mexican businesses, sellers on Mercado Libre, etc., have account numbers you can use to pay for online purchases by paying through OXO or directly at the bank, rather than giving out your debit card info online.

19 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Have had a Bancomer debit card for 9 years, used to make many in-store purchases with never a problem. Have never used it to pay online. Many Mexican businesses, sellers on Mercado Libre, etc., have account numbers you can use to pay for online purchases by paying through OXO or directly at the bank, rather than giving out your debit card info online.

I have a friend with a Bancomer  ATM card that he has lost several times. I think he left in an ATM once and lost a few thousand pesos. Bancomer promptly refunded his money and replaced his card every time.

Archived