Chapala.com Webboard

Black galvanized pipe suppliers

I am looking for BLACK galvanized pipe to use for an industrial looking shelving unit.

In the States this pipe is most often used to supply gas to a stove or water heater.

Been to the Home Depot in Guad....nothing. All I get is that blank look from the employees.

pipe shelves copy.jpg

I think you are looking for black pipe not BLACK galvanized. Black pipe and galvanized are two different types of pipe. True, black pipe is used for gas and other things, but galvanized should never be used for gas as galvanized pipe will " flake " off and plug up the very small orifices at the appliances. I also could not find it her locally a while back, but you might try asking a local hardware store to order it for you. They come in 20 ft. lengths, but are often cut in half to 10 ft. for easy storage and transportation. For shelving, go ahead and use galvanized pipe, no problem. It may cost a bit more and the fitting you will need are available in galvanized. Make sure they have the round floor "mounts" that your 1/2 or 3/4 pipe slides into that secures the entire pipe bracket to the wall ( or floor ).    

I'm looking for that style of pipe, elbows and flanges (sp?) as well. For towel holders in the bathroom, a bathroom light and also a conduit for industrial looking lighting over my kitchen sink and bread board. I don't mind getting them spray painted but need to find the pipe first and make sure I can paint it. Any information that anyone can give me would be most appreciated. "Steampunk".

https://homesthetics.net/adopt-the-unconventional-steampunk-decor-in-your-home/

For the OP... if you just can't find them locally...

https://www.amazon.com/KINGSO-Industrial-Floating-Hardware-Farmhouse/dp/B071X6KLK9/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1530841076&sr=8-30&keywords=Steampunk+decor

I'm going back to amazon now to read the other 13 pages that came up when I did a search for "steampunk décor".

Its not just the pipe, you need someone to cut it, deburr it, and then thread it. All of which requires specialty equipment. I would try Casa de Plomeros. I never knew this, but they apparently have have plumbers which they can dispatch. Handy to know.

I will do that Chillin', thanks. There are a few pipes on Amazon that are threaded at both ends but they are in specific sizes and diameters. I bought copper pipe cut to length for curtain rods at Casa de Plomero and the caps for the ends. However, what I want and what I end up getting may be very, very different. C'est la vie.

7 hours ago, Ferret said:

The design shown is one of the things that it is being sold on Amazon. It's very sound.

Regular angle brackets belong in a garage not in your house.

Are you really suggesting that "thing" is suitable for inside your house!!!!! and is very sound , rubbish

Why don't you buy one and find out? Taste is a matter of personal preference. You could actually read the link I provided about steampunk. I may not like the style or comfort of your house either. That's what makes us all unique. I hate white. I hate modern. I hate clutter. Some people do like those things. Whatever works for you.

Archived