Chapala.com Webboard

Garufa

Bisbee Gal

They have been working on this building for quite awhile, but the interior is now taking shape (and looks great).  

It is a chain within Mexico....an Argentine steak house.  Rather upscale based on their company website.  

I am trying to think of other chain eateries here at Lakeside.  Hmmmmm....Casa de Waffle comes to mind, but others???

Anyone been to another Garufa in Mexico.....feedback?

It is on Colon just south of Zaragoza in Ajijic.  

http://www.garufa.com.mx/index2.html

https://www.facebook.com/pg/garufaajijic/posts/

9 hours ago, More Liana said:

It's Fonda Garufa, we have them in CDMX.  Here's their website, complete with menu.  I have been for breakfast and love their huevos ahogados.

No it is not. The one being built here is not part of Fonda Garufa that you have in CDMX. 

These are the correct websites for Garufa in Ajijic which show the menus....it is an Argentine steakhouse, not open for breakfast.  

4 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

No it is not. The one being built here is not part of Fonda Garufa that you have in CDMX. 

These are the correct websites for Garufa in Ajijic which show the menus....it is an Argentine steakhouse, not open for breakfast.  

Thanks for the correction.  And how interesting that the name is so similar.  

Light research revealed that "Garufa" can mean a party animal and is often used in Tango lyrics.  Here is Spanish Wiki and an awful google translation.

La palabra garufa es un vocablo del lunfardo que significa, diversión, jarana, francachela así como persona alegre, divertida. Se usa tanto en Argentina como en Uruguay y aparece en diversos tangos.

Origen[editar]

Gobello la cataloga de origen incierto1y consigna el derivado garufero, como quien participa habitualmente en garufas. Por su parte Teruggi señala que en gallego existen los vocablos garula y gallaroufa con el significado de jarana, algazara, y que en castellano una de las acepciones de garulla es “conjunto desordenado de gente” por lo que estima que de esas voces pudo derivar la palabra lunfarda.2

Entre los tangos que mencionan este vocablo, además del que se llama justamente Garufa, baste citar a El ciruja que “recordaba aquellas horas de garufa” y Mi vieja viola “garufera y vibradora”.

The word garufa is a word of lunfardo that means, fun, jarana, francachela as well as cheerful person, fun. It is used in both Argentina and Uruguay and appears in various tangos.

Origin
Gobello catalogs it of uncertain origin1 and consigns the derivative garufero, as one who habitually participates in garufas. On the other hand Teruggi indicates that in Galician exist the words Garula and Gallaroufa with the meaning of jarana, algazara, and that in Castilian one of the meanings of Garulla is "disorderly set of people" reason why esteem that of those voices could derive the word lunfarda.2

Among the tangos that mention this word, besides the one that is justly called Garufa, it is enough to quote El ciruja that "remembered those hours of garufa" and Mi vieja viola "garufera y vibradora".

10 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Light research revealed that "Garufa" can mean a party animal and is often used in Tango lyrics.  Here is Spanish Wiki and an awful google translation.

I was thinking more about copyright infringement.  But thanks.

Just what we don't need on the plaza without parking.  Where could they even valet to around there? Change is at warp speed these days.  

• 1 month later...

My girlfriend and I went there for dinner last night (a Friday) and found the place to be both enormous and very expensive. In terms of size, it's a large restaurant (bigger than Tango) with three private dining rooms (not large) and a private party area in the very back—a medium-sized evento with a private bar. There was a party of some sort going on back there and the rest of the restaurant was about 75% full. I would say that 90% of the customers were elegantly dressed Mexicans with some not-so beautifully dressed gringos sprinkled here and there. The staff appeared well trained and efficient. We were happy to see that Juan Pablo, the former general manager of the late, lamented La Mesa, is the general manager of Garufa. He greeted us by name and welcomed us with complimentary glasses of wine. Neither of us was particularly hungry, so we ordered a plate of grilled vegetables which was both delicious and enormous (that word again) for 167 pesos. We never saw the wine list, as a representative of a winery poured us a second round of complimentary wine—so we have no idea how about the cost of drinks. The menu includes appetizers, salads, pasta, pizza, fish, and lots and lots of beef—which ranges in price from 189 pesos (for an enormous hamburger, which we saw at a nearby table) to 1200 pesos for some expensive cut of beef. The steaks, which we saw on the grill as we explored the restaurant, looked very juice and very large (I'll get off that other word). In summary, I'd say this a dress-up restaurant for special occasions or a regular stop for affluent steak lovers.

Gosh I had the biggest hamburger with pineapple, ham and cheese at Don~a Lola's   Restaurant plus all of the ice tea I could drink for $104 pesos. It was so large with everything else in it (lettuce, tomatoes, unions, etc) that I had to take 1/3 of it home with me.

I love their special hamburgers there. 

ComputerGuy nailed it.  Not looking for us "locals".  It is fancy upscale Guadalajara "look" and prices restaurant.  My wife and I went the other night. We loved it but we also go into Guadalajara just for the food scene. So for us it wasn't pricey. It was great!.

42 minutes ago, mexbound said:

ComputerGuy nailed it.  Not looking for us "locals".  It is fancy upscale Guadalajara "look" and prices restaurant.  My wife and I went the other night. We loved it but we also go into Guadalajara just for the food scene. So for us it wasn't pricey. It was great!.

What did you have?

On 7/8/2018 at 9:52 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

Light research revealed that "Garufa" can mean a party animal and is often used in Tango lyrics. 

Hey - I like that name. I often have trouble getting my first name -Gary-understood by Spanish speaking locals. It makes it easier to pronounce if introduced as Gahh - ree (accent on the ree). Maybe now I can claim it is short for Garufa.🧐 Just spent 4 days in public hospital, like being trapped in Comedy Central - Mexican people (generally) have a wonderful sense of humor, even at times when they are lowest in health and broke.

Went tonight.. big mistake given it’s a Sat night and they were therefore busy. We had a dreadful experience (as in didn’t actually get any food), sent 3 dishes back, and they tried to charge us for drinks we didn’t get. Well beyond ‘teething’ trouble for a new restaurant. We received, and did pay $500 pesos for a bottle of their cheapest red and a plate of sub standard pizza. Service was beyond bad, even at any price point. Management were in the deep end and had no idea how to swim. 

WOW!  That's the kind of review that would definitely scare people off.  Sounds like management is in over their heads. Sorry you had such a bad experience. 

When a restaurant charges the highest prices in town, the public has high expectations, too. Based on the posts above, some peoples expectations were met.  The greatest downfall of restaurants is inconsistency...which you experienced at its worst .

Archived