Chapala.com Webboard

Doctor for prescription for Ativan (flying)?

What kind of doctor (any recommendations?) can I visit to receive a prescription for Ativan?  I fly frequently with quite a few Asia/ África longhauls of 24+ hours.   Back in the US I could get a bottle of 30, no refills, 1x a year, from my family practitioner.  Who would I see here? Thanks.

GoodRx seems to send coupons to you for Ativan (and other drugs) that you pick up at most major pharmacies in the US When you go back to the States and get a script, maybe you can get a coupon from these folks.

The lowest  price for 60 tablets of lorazepam 1mg is around $8.88, 78% off the average retail price of $42.25

I have never used GoodRx so I cannot vouch for them, but the discounts might bear further investigation.

https://www.goodrx.com/ativan

On 7/4/2018 at 6:47 AM, artsnob said:

I get Farmapram Alprazolam. It is available everywhere,no prescription,same results but safer. I take 50 mg, it also comes 100 mg

Ken, where do you buy Alprazolam without a prescription?  It is generic Xanax, which is a controlled drug, legally sold only through a prescription ... interested to know where?

On 7/3/2018 at 5:09 PM, kimanjome said:

What kind of doctor (any recommendations?) can I visit to receive a prescription for Ativan?  I fly frequently with quite a few Asia/ África longhauls of 24+ hours.   Back in the US I could get a bottle of 30, no refills, 1x a year, from my family practitioner.  Who would I see here? Thanks.

You can get almost any medication without prescription except antibiotics.

As a registered pharmacist I thought I would give you the facts.  You might find it difficult to get lorazepam (Xanax) or lorazepam (Ativan) in Mexico or in the US.

Both are controlled in Mexico and in US.  Lorazepam comes in 0.25, 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0mg.  Alprazolam comes in 0.25, 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0mg. Just FYI

Maybe you should consider taking along a "personal comfort animal". Something real Mexican, like a miniature burro or rooster. Then on the other hand, maybe you have had the misfortune of sitting next to a passenger like me😎

4 hours ago, lloyd520 said:

As a registered pharmacist I thought I would give you the facts.  You might find it difficult to get lorazepam (Xanax) or lorazepam (Ativan) in Mexico or in the US.

Both are controlled in Mexico and in US.  Lorazepam comes in 0.25, 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0mg.  Alprazolam comes in 0.25, 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0mg. Just FYI

Yes, as lloyd520 said alprazolam is generic Xanax.  Googling that in both Spanish and English :

Brands: Xanax, Alprazolam Intensol, and Xanax XR
Availability: Prescription needed
Pregnancy: Consult a doctor
Alcohol: Avoid. Very serious interactions can occur
Drug class: Benzodiazepine

And Joco69 it is very difficult to find pharmacies today that will sell controlled substances over the counter.  Just try to buy them at Farmacia Guadalajara or Cristina, or other reputable pharmacies without an RX and tell us what happened.  There are of course those pharmacies that will sell and get away with it.  I use Lorazepam for sleep and get a scrip from my doctor every few months.  

On 7/9/2018 at 12:31 PM, Bettinka said:

Yes, as lloyd520 said alprazolam is generic Xanax.  Googling that in both Spanish and English :

Brands: Xanax, Alprazolam Intensol, and Xanax XR
Availability: Prescription needed
Pregnancy: Consult a doctor
Alcohol: Avoid. Very serious interactions can occur
Drug class: Benzodiazepine

And Joco69 it is very difficult to find pharmacies today that will sell controlled substances over the counter.  Just try to buy them at Farmacia Guadalajara or Cristina, or other reputable pharmacies without an RX and tell us what happened.  There are of course those pharmacies that will sell and get away with it.  I use Lorazepam for sleep and get a scrip from my doctor every few months.  

I love Mexico for many reasons and less rules on how to buy medication is one of them. What you mention above is standard procedure on each drug for sale for the protection of the big Pharm. 

Archived