Chapala.com Webboard

Variable speed swim jets

They are the kind of jets in a small pool where you swim against them. You're swimming laps but don't actually move in the water so the size of your pool can be so much smaller. We looked at a house to rent in Upper Ajijic that had one. I think my hubby was more excited about the concept than the house itself. I will never have another pool but am interested in the electricity consumption of them. They are powerful if you're a strong swimmer and, I imagine, the variable speed ones are variable because you can choose your speed or just recirculate the water like a normal pool.

Thanks, I totally understand as I too was very excited when I saw this concept on line years ago, but am too old and lazy to contemplate such an installation. Yet when I read the post above I had forgotten the turn used, so I didn't understand what Wallywingnut meant.

Several years ago, when I was still physically able, my wife and sailed to Australia on a cargo ship that had one of these and I used it every day while on board. I found it exhausting as it never relents and when you finally (sooner or later) have to stop fighting, it sweeps you against the end of the pool. This one was not variable but strong and steady. It was good exercise actually but I would never have made the investment if I had the choice between it and a regular lane pool.

Archived