Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you pointed out before, some points of view are tolerated and not shut down.  Knowing that, I try to resist pointing out the logical disconnects and general error of their ways.  (grin)😎

Sonia, thanks for the great synopsis of Andrés Manuel López Obrador's time as jefe de gobierno in Mexico City.  He did more good for the city during his term than any prior head of government.  It is

Racist: Anyone who wins a debate with a Liberal !  

Posted Images

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:48 AM, Sonia said:

And in Mexico, when you get the most votes you win. What a concept. 🙂

Yes, agree that has produced more "bad" than "good,, in the history of Mexico. Maybe, just maybe, this time will be different after the decades and decades of the most votes 'being the winner. Thank God that is not how it is done NOB in the US. Those founding fathers knew what they were doing. So, if AMLO is a winner, that makes one out of "how many losers" who had the "most" votes ?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ferret said:

Better than what you got in 2016 which is "hopeless and backwards".

But, you forget, WE are hopeless and backward ! And, WE will get the same in 2020 !  Go cry me a river ! :D

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

So we have someone that got less than 50% telling us "how it's gonna be".

EPN did that with 32% and you did not cry about it ! BTW, you live in Mexico full time, so why are you crying about NOB? 

:D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hud said:

EPN did that with 32% and you did not cry about it ! BTW, you live in Mexico full time, so why are you crying about NOB? 

:D

 

Stating a fact is not "crying".

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Stating a fact is not "crying".

The only interest I have in NOB government is that my children and grandchildren will have to live under it.  And facts are facts.  The revered founding fathers had no interest in pure democracy,  especially when you consider who was shut out of the voting booths under their system; way over half the residents.

Considering the way Mexico City was administered under AMLO, I don't think we need to worry about him.  I'm just happy the PRI gang lost.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I predict AMLO and Trump are going to get along just fine and will end up making "deals" that will greatly benefit both countries.

That's my prediction.......and I'm sticking to it!  😁

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

I predict AMLO and Trump are going to get along just fine and will end up making "deals" that will greatly benefit both countries.

That's my prediction.......and I'm sticking to it!  😁

You do that, oh ye of faith, and be glad there's no cash riding on the bet when one party cheats on the other one.😉

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, gringal said:

You do that, oh ye of faith, and be glad there's no cash riding on the bet when one party cheats on the other one.😉

"Faith" has nothing to do with it, LOL.  Since it's in both countries interest to work together I see 2 leaders that can get things done.

Vamos a ver!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gringal said:

Good one.  They certainly own their debt.

Even the Chinese know the axiom, never loan a Mexican money. Prestar means here, to give me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a little background info on the history of democracy in Mexico:

Although the dictator Diaz was defeated and exiled in 1916, a series of assassinations, coups and rebellions continued until 1929. At that time, the various factions on the left coalesced as the PRI and the various factions on the right formed the PAN. There was no center. The umbrella organization of the PRI guaranteed the party 70-80% of the vote in any election and a good measure of political stability for the country. The struggle for power took place within the party and not in the general election. 

Over time, the PRI became increasingly corrupt, culminating in the scandalous regime of Salinas, who was president from1988 to 1994.. At that time, the more dedicated and self righteous socialists broke away from the PRI to form the PRD. The current presidente-elect, AMLO, was among this group. With the electorate split into thirds, the PANistas were able to a win a few elections, including a few governorships. The PRI had to resort to election fraud in order to maintain power on a national level. In 2000 the PANistas, under Fox, were able to pull out a victory with a plurality of the vote. The moment that the PRI peacefully transferred power to the PAN at the inauguration of Fox is considered the moment that democracy finally arrived in Mexico. However, democracy did not last long.

The 2006 election was a blatent fraud. As the vote was being counted in that three-way election, it became obvious that the PRD candidate, AMLO, was headed to victory. The count was stopped and when it resumed the PANista, Calderon, had miraculously taken the lead by 0.47 percent (if you can believe that...and no one does). In the 2012 election, AMLO was marginalized in a more subtly manner. He really gave up halfway through the campaign, declaring that the process was "rigged." Pena Nieto was declared the winner with a plurality of the vote.

Following the 2012 election, AMLO left the PRD and formed Morena (National Regeneration Movement) in order to run for president once again. Election reforms were put into place to prevent the abuses of the past. And the general public decided that they were not going to be denied once again. The result was an undeniable and fraud-proof majority both for AMLO and his Morena movement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gringal said:

The only interest I have in NOB government is that my children and grandchildren will have to live under it.  And facts are facts.  The revered founding fathers had no interest in pure democracy,  especially when you consider who was shut out of the voting booths under their system; way over half the residents. 

Considering the way Mexico City was administered under AMLO, I don't think we need to worry about him.  I'm just happy the PRI gang lost.

Dear Gringal,
Check your history, it was founded as a "REPUBLIC" - not a pure democracy, or monarchy. The old example is two men and one woman in a room in a "democracy" and they take a vote as to whether the woman should, shall we say be "compliant" - guess what the result was. A Representative Republic is not a pure democracy and due to the failings of humans it can never be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, giltner68 said:

Dear Gringal,
Check your history, it was founded as a "REPUBLIC" - not a pure democracy, or monarchy.

 

Right out of The John Birch Societies' yada yada.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, giltner68 said:

Dear Gringal,
Check your history, it was founded as a "REPUBLIC" - not a pure democracy, or monarchy. The old example is two men and one woman in a room in a "democracy" and they take a vote as to whether the woman should, shall we say be "compliant" - guess what the result was. A Representative Republic is not a pure democracy and due to the failings of humans it can never be.

I believe that what I posted was that the founding fathers had no interest in a pure democracy and yes, I do know my history.

Your example has no bearing on the discussion.  What's your issue about, really?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No issue, I just know how people tend to twist words and I like to keep the record straight for those less enlightened, but I am pleased you know the history as your kids and Gkids, as are mine, living in the great new economy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, giltner68 said:

No issue, I just know how people tend to twist words and I like to keep the record straight for those less enlightened, but I am pleased you know the history as your kids and Gkids, as are mine, living in the great new economy.

You and I, as you already know, are on far different political pages and this forum is no place to discuss politics AT ALL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gringal said:

You and I, as you already know, are on far different political pages politically and this forum is no place to discuss politics AT ALL. 

So why are three pages here and many more in other threads discussing politics? HAHAHA

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tiny said:

So why are three pages here and many more in other threads discussing politics? HAHAHA

I think they are referring to "foreign" politics. But, IF discussing foreign politics, it helps to be on the same political side as the moderator. THEY don't get chastised.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...