Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

By a landslide. And peso is gaining strength. The huge celebrations have started. This is an historic day for Mexicans.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you pointed out before, some points of view are tolerated and not shut down.  Knowing that, I try to resist pointing out the logical disconnects and general error of their ways.  (grin)😎

Sonia, thanks for the great synopsis of Andrés Manuel López Obrador's time as jefe de gobierno in Mexico City.  He did more good for the city during his term than any prior head of government.  It is

Racist: Anyone who wins a debate with a Liberal !  

Posted Images

 

25 minutes ago, Sonia said:

By a landslide.

MEXICO CITY (Reuters)

The exit poll showed the former Mexico City mayor winning between 53 percent and 59 percent of votes.

That would be a majority, not just the plurality needed to win. Sonia, how many previous Presidents have won by a majority?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Official numbers still in the forties but it is quite a win.  MC's Alfaro declaring victory in Jalisco, no more PRI there, maybe the roads will finally get fixed.  Locally we can only hope...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lakeside7 said:

For the size of the city...I would say not too many people celebrating!!!!!

HUH   Follow MX City news and you will see thousands. AMLO's car is having difficulty getting to the Zocalo due to crowds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

For the size of the city...I would say not too many people celebrating!!!!!

5464.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=bc7f1aafc60a99438389482e58a276b3

MEXICO-ELECTION-LOPEZ OBRADOR-SUPPORTERS-RESULTS-CELEBRATION

no, not many voted for him. He only more than doubled his nearest contenders numbers.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As mayor, López Obrador implemented various social programs that included extending financial assistance to help vulnerable groups in Mexico City, including single mothers, senior citizens, and the physically and mentally challenged. He also helped found the first new university in Mexico City in three decades, the Universidad Autónoma de la Ciudad de México.

López Obrador (center) with former President Vicente Fox (left) and former México State governor Arturo Montiel (right).
He directed the restoration and modernization of Mexico City's historic downtown, which has 16h–17th century buildings and a large number of tourist attractions. He led a joint venture with Carlos Slim Helú, a native of downtown Mexico City, to expropriate, restore, rebuild, and gentrify large parts of the area, creating attractive shopping and residential areas for middle and upper income residents.

López Obrador used fiscal policy to encourage private sector investment in housing. He granted construction firms large tax breaks and changed zoning regulations to make construction projects more financially attractive. This led to the construction of more condominiums and office building during his tenure than during any other period in Mexico City history. New high density condos have emerged in the upscale neighborhoods of Polanco and Lomas.

To improve traffic flow in the city's two main inner city roads, Periférico and Viaducto, he added sections of second stories to their existing infrastructure. The effect of this in aiding the traffic problem in Mexico City is positive.

His favorable polling was 80% when he was mayor of a city of about 25 million people at that time, 1/4 of Mexico's population. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

And in Mexico, when you get the most votes you win. What a concept. :-)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sonia said:

As mayor, López Obrador implemented various social programs that included extending financial assistance to help vulnerable groups in Mexico City, including single mothers, senior citizens, and the physically and mentally challenged. He also helped found the first new university in Mexico City in three decades, the Universidad Autónoma de la Ciudad de México.

López Obrador (center) with former President Vicente Fox (left) and former México State governor Arturo Montiel (right).
He directed the restoration and modernization of Mexico City's historic downtown, which has 16h–17th century buildings and a large number of tourist attractions. He led a joint venture with Carlos Slim Helú, a native of downtown Mexico City, to expropriate, restore, rebuild, and gentrify large parts of the area, creating attractive shopping and residential areas for middle and upper income residents.

López Obrador used fiscal policy to encourage private sector investment in housing. He granted construction firms large tax breaks and changed zoning regulations to make construction projects more financially attractive. This led to the construction of more condominiums and office building during his tenure than during any other period in Mexico City history. New high density condos have emerged in the upscale neighborhoods of Polanco and Lomas.

To improve traffic flow in the city's two main inner city roads, Periférico and Viaducto, he added sections of second stories to their existing infrastructure. The effect of this in aiding the traffic problem in Mexico City is positive.

Sonia, thanks for the great synopsis of Andrés Manuel López Obrador's time as jefe de gobierno in Mexico City.  He did more good for the city during his term than any prior head of government.  It is thrilling to have participated in the presidential election of this great man. 

Yesterday was a tremendously emotional day all over Mexico; I and everyone I know were weeping as we saw the election results start coming in at about 8:00PM.  The caption on this photo tells the tale: the drawing is a representation of a Mexico City Metro stop sign with a caricature of AMLO.  Above it is written: Next stop...  And below it is written: HOPE.  I was proud and happy to cast my ballot for him and the MORENA team.  His new Secretary of Culture is a friend of mine and I hope to work with her team during AMLO's 6-year term of office.  One detail about how the AMLO team will proceed: the Secretary of Culture's slogan for the next six years is: "Up until now we've lived with the culture of power.  From here forward, we will live with the power of culture."  

AMLO represents a radical (his word, meaning to the root) change of thinking for the entire country.  Today is the day we stand on the first page of the end of despair.  

AMLO HOPE.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sonia said:

By a landslide. And peso is gaining strength. The huge celebrations have started. This is an historic day for Mexicans.

Must be a different exchange rate in Puerto Vallarta.  They are quoting 20.14 right now.  Competition in action!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Viva Mexico!  Let's hope AMLO can come thru and achieve peace and security for this beautiful country!  The Mexican people deserve so much more.

Look out Donald, no more pushing Mexico around........................

  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone ever heard a candidate anywhere, other than an incumbent, not promise change?  That's the idea, right?  Throw in Hope and that pulls a few more votes. IMO, the cartels run Mexico simply because they have lots of money and they have proven their willingness to use violence to keep what they have.  Until and unless the average citizen of this or any country is willing to fight and possibly die to drive out whoever it is running their country, not much will change.

I wish AMLO the very best.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I lived in LA, Houston(where I got held up at gunpoint),Chicago, and Gary, Indiana(when it was called the crime capital of the US).  I don’t remember people “willing to fight and possibly die”to drive criminals out.

Your bravado is admirable but very naive. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

I lived in LA, Houston(where I got held up at gunpoint),Chicago, and Gary, Indiana(when it was called the crime capital of the US).  I don’t remember people “willing to fight and possibly die”to drive criminals out.

Your bravado is admirable but very naive. 

Well, call me naive but I don't think the criminal element in the US is anywhere nearly as entrenched as it is here in Mexico. The police and the politicians here take their orders directly from whichever cartel controls that area. There are bad cops and dirty politicians in the US for sure, but you don't see hundreds of candidates brazenly shot down as here in Mexico. How many of those killings do you suppose will result in jail time for anyone?  Notice I didn't say "solved" because anyone who is anyone knows that answer. The locals know what and who is going on and until they decide putting themselves and their families at risk is better than ignoring what is going on, not much in Mexico will change. Saying "I'm for change" ain't gonna change much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

The locals know what and who is going on and until they decide putting themselves and their families at risk is better than ignoring what is going on, not much in Mexico will change. Saying "I'm for change" ain't gonna change much.

I agree. The only discussion around the Sunday dinner was "Did you vote? Reply was showing right thumb.".

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, giltner68 said:

We voted for "hope & change" in 2008 and 2012 - and boy, we got a heapin' helping of what we ordered, be very careful what you ask for!

I hope it happens again.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...