Chapala.com Webboard

AMLO WINS

Sonia

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Sonia said:

And in Mexico, when you get the most votes you win. What a concept. 🙂

Yes, that's a democracy. A democratic republic doesn't work that way. 50.1 % doesn't get to tell the other 49.9% "how it's gonna be". The group of old white guys that were the US Founders basically despised pure democracy and really despised a strong central government which they believed would constantly try to gain more power and control over the citizens. They set up a system that tried to limit that "central committee" type of power and keep it more in the hands of each state. The idea was for states to try different approaches to solving problems for their residents with the thought that the best ideas would be noticed and spread naturally, rather than an authoritarian central government telling everyone how to act and live. You can like it or dislike it but that was the idea.

I have two friends, Bob and Sally. Bob voted for Trump and Sally voted for Clinton  but they are still best friends because they are both adults.  Maybe we should all be like Bob and Sally.

7 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Yes, that's a democracy. A democratic republic doesn't work that way. 50.1 % doesn't get to tell the other 49.9% "how it's gonna be".

So we have someone that got less than 50% telling us "how it's gonna be".

39 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Better than what you got in 2016 which is "hopeless and backwards".

Let's stick to Mexico's historic election shall we?  Enough whining about the U.S. election.  It is over.

Lots of good things happened here.  The turnout was a record for modern times.  The candidates were the least sullied and most capable as well.  There was very little violence on election day.  The result was decisive and unifying.  The losers were all gracious and patriotic. 

Now we see if this translates into real change.  AMLO has a helluva job in front of him.

The other big question is whether Morena got a legislative majority.  Anyone know the answer to that one?

1 minute ago, AngusMactavish said:

So we have someone that got less than 50% telling us "how it's gonna be".

Only to the extent that his Presidential powers allow, which, correct me if I'm wrong, have applied to each and every preceding President.  Like all presidents, for example, he gets to nominate someone for the current Supreme Court vacancy. Nominate, not appoint. As a recent previous president accurately said "Elections have consequences" but Americans get to "throw the bums out" chance every 4 years.  What a concept.......

17 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Let's stick to Mexico's historic election shall we?  Enough whining about the U.S. election.  It is over.

Lots of good things happened here.  The turnout was a record for modern times.  The candidates were the least sullied and most capable as well.  There was very little violence on election day.  The result was decisive and unifying.  The losers were all gracious and patriotic. 

Now we see if this translates into real change.  AMLO has a helluva job in front of him.

The other big question is whether Morena got a legislative majority.  Anyone know the answer to that one?

Counting has resumed following the WC game between Mexico and Brazil.  All counting stopped so that everyone could watch.

7 hours ago, addtocart said:

Back over 20 this morning.  Maybe the strength comes later.

The election turned out just as had been predicted for many months. I imagine that any effect on the exchange rate has taken place gradually over that time.

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Counting has resumed following the WC game between Mexico and Brazil.  All counting stopped so that everyone could watch.

It is now being reported on El Informador that AMLO's coalition will have a majority in Congress.

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

It is now being reported on El Informador that AMLO's coalition will have a majority in Congress.

That will scare the markets in my opinion. Money leaving and investments not as big until people get a feel for what will happen. If they do become the majority I also believe the peso will be very volatile. So will the bond markets and ETF's in Mexican companies. The markets don't like surprises.

I don't consider myself qualified to have an opinion about who would be the *best* next President of Mexico. I have friends who voted both for Manuel Lopez Obrador, and friends who voted for one of the others. But I'm glad AMLO won.

It wasn't very long ago that the PRI had a strangle-hold on everything in this country, for a very long time. On the national level the PAN breakthrough with the election of Vicente Fox was significant. Then Calderon. Then Mexico went back to the PRI.

This is different.

No matter what comes, the election of AMLO means Mexico is a fully-functioning democracy. The votes were counted. (I have a couple of friends who were at the casillas/polling places til 3 am last night.)

If you believe in democracy, as ugly as that mess is, this election represents a victory for Mexico.

36511535_205664853602674_9184331918005501952_n.jpg

9 hours ago, Travis said:

No matter what comes, the election of AMLO means Mexico is a fully-functioning democracy. 

I thought in a fully-functioning democracy there is a thing called "checks and balances". I didn't see that in the above diagram. Good time for "pet projects and special interests".

Do you want a bridge to the island?

Archived