Chapala.com Webboard

Driving to Chapala

My brorher and I will be driving to Chapala, (my car) from Cali in Oct. I plan to stay for a few months. My brother will only be down for a month or so. 

My question, will  he be able to drive my car back to Cal, turn in the sticker and get back my deposit? 

Yes, but you will need to have him listed as a driver on your insurance policy, and you should also provide him with a notarized letter, in Spanish, authorizing him to drive your car, even though he is a family member.

He can drive the car out of Mexico, stopping at Banjercito to get the sticker removed and the receipt, which you will want to keep forever in case you ever want to return to Mexico with a car.

1 hour ago, barbara habacht said:

The US consulate, which over charges, does notarize any document.

I had one document drawn up and notorized at the US Consulate in Guadalajara that I legally went by 2 names. One with one middle name and the other with two middle names requested by the INM here and I was under the impression by what I was told there documents had to be in English only. I don´t think they notorize Spanish language documents.

It is hard to search Mexico's websites, so I will quote MexPro's.

Other Drivers

A vehicle temporarily imported by the owner may be driven in Mexico by a spouse or adult children, as long as they have the same immigration status. Other persons may drive the vehicle as long as the owner is in the vehicle.

https://www.mexpro.com/mexico/vehicle-import-permit.html

There may be a way for the OP's brother to drive the car back to the border without problems, but a self-help notarized letter is not one of them.

The comment about being able to notarize in Guadalajara is valid, but pointless. The OP needs the letter beginning at the border as they proceed south to Chapala. As RV said, get it in the US prior to the trip. 

His brother will have similar INM status, and is an immediate family member. The letter is to eliminate problems with any transitos who may not know the rules in such detail.

Sorry, but I do not keep links to all of the facts that I have learned in over 80 years.

No estoy pendejo; y tu? Creo que sabes la verdad.

18 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Yes, but you will need to have him listed as a driver on your insurance policy, and you should also provide him with a notarized letter, in Spanish, authorizing him to drive your car, even though he is a family member.

He can drive the car out of Mexico, stopping at Banjercito to get the sticker removed and the receipt, which you will want to keep forever in case you ever want to return to Mexico with a car.

Although the law is a bit vague on this these steps should suffice nicely.  They do not check the ID of the driver when turning in the sticker.  You hand them the originals of the TIP, scrape off the sticker and give them that, and go on your merry way.  Obviously you should have the brother listed on the Mexican car insurance papers as a driver and the letter provides another level of protection. 

I am assuming the brother has the same last name also.  That will help.

In over 10 years of driving back and forth to the U.S. including when we had a TIP we have never been checked once past the border check points, even when stopped for a little trafico shakedown.  Don't lose sleep over this.

I love what we called in the military, Latrine Lawyers.

Was that necessary?  :(

20 hours ago, Tony321 said:

My brorher and I will be driving to Chapala, (my car) from Cali in Oct. I plan to stay for a few months. My brother will only be down for a month or so. 

My question, will  he be able to drive my car back to Cal, turn in the sticker and get back my deposit? 

My best advice is to contact Spencer McMullen, a real lawyer, to get an opinion and any paperwork done to accomplish your desire. He has a US phone number to call and the few bucks it may cost you is well spent for your peace of mind. His site is: http://www.chapalalaw.com/

That's good advice (see Spencer...), especially for a newbie who may not have done this kind of thing any.

To add to the general thoughts here:  I have driven probably 20 vehicles with US plates, that were not mine in Mexico's eyes, north out of the country. I ALWAYS stop at the border to cancel the owner's TIP before exiting. MC's description of what happens is exactly what happens all the time for me.

One thing that I also do regularly is have Spencer provide the owner, for me, a Carta Poder.... Power of Attorney.... stating that the owner has given me 'rights' to drive the vehicle out of Mexico and to turn in the TIP 'for him/her'.  Cost about 500 pesos (not to limit Spencer to that, but....). I also make sure that the Mexican Insurance on the vehicle has me as a covered driver. Good news is that I have only once had to produce the Carta Poder and it was NOT at the border but to a rouge cop who was looking for mordida in Lagos.

Archived