Chapala.com Webboard

I have a slightly long haired cat, and I was away for 7 weeks, and during my absence for the first time in the three years that I have had her, she has all kinds of hair balls, not the normal one or two that I could take care of myself in previous years when I go north for that period.

Where would you take your cat for a hair trimming and the elimination of hair balls? I live in Ajijic. Does the Vet whose office is across the street on from the old Salvador's Restaurant do hair trimming and you recommend him?

I have had cats now since I moved to Mexico part time, and I have never had this problem before, because in the past all of my  cats have had shorter hair like my other two cats.

14 hours ago, bournemouth said:

We take our cat to Dra.. Berenice behind the Pemex station on the libramiento.  Whilst we haven't needed to have fur balls removed,  I'd trust her to do anything with our cat.

Make sure they understand you don't want the cat trimmed all the way down.  We thought we had made that plain and we got a basically hairless cat back.  He was not happy and neither were we.

Fortunately barbers' mistakes grow back.  :)

Tiny, that picture is so very terrible, that is great. I am happily shocked that Angus is able to find such appropriate pictures for so many of the posts made by others and now me.  Keep it up Angus, I greatly appreciate many of your video or picture posts.

:) :) :) :) :) 

29 minutes ago, johanson said:

Tiny, that picture is so very terrible, that is great. I am happily shocked that Angus is able to find such appropriate pictures for so many of the posts made by others and now me.  Keep it up Angus, I greatly appreciate many of your video or picture posts.

:) :) :) :) :) 

I agree about Angus.

Well I went to the recommended places and it was easy to schedule for a later appointment, like next Tuesday. While driving home at 10:30 or so I stopped by the vet and staff across the street from the old Salvador's. They said they could and come back after 13:30. I did and for $200 if no meds were needed to tranquilize needed otherwise, $250.

The bill was $250 and the cat was rather sleepy. The body cut was OK and I didn't realize how much smaller cat was without long hair. Sadly because they were cutting the hair to get rid of the fur balls, they didn't cut the hair short on the tail or tale ( I can't remember which is which).  So this highly untrained owner who has never cut more hair than with my facial hair each morning using an electric shaver, will try trimming the cats hair with my old electric trimmer/razer that thank goodness I saved rather than throwing away.

PS Even when plugged in with  a dead battery, the old shaver would not turn on. So here goes trying to charge it. Sadly for the cat, my new shaver does not have the added option of being able to trim hair using a separate cutting head.

To maintain the situation and prevention wise, I recommend you brush the cat regularly.  We have a Furminator but there are other brands.  If you watch the video, you will see how well it works in getting rid of excess fur.

The other thing to do is add oil (such as olive) to the pet's diet to help him/her pass those hair balls. Hopefully, you are not just feeding dry food which is not a healthy feline diet.

I give the cats, (I have three), dry food that they access to 24/7 and then when after I have lunch they get their favorite treats, canned cat food that I buy at the animal shelter where for only 75 pesos you get 6 cans of wet cat food which they love.  When I am gone, a security guard who is also both a dog sitter and cat sitter occasionally gives the cats some of the canned cat food, but much less than I. And normally I to comb the hair of this cat when it has long hair, which used  to be always, until this hair cut

I am going to pick up some hair tools from the animal shelter to do a better job of combing and thinning the amount of long hair this cat gets.

On 6/28/2018 at 8:46 PM, johanson said:

Great photo, Angus. That looks like a very angry cat. I promise you I would not dare do that to my cat, not after seeing that picture :) 

That's a breed of hairless cat, Pete.  I believe that one is a Sphynx, the breed came out of Toronto.  

My cat has his hair cut relatively short, not too short everywhere but for the total length of the tail.

Without his body and head hair, he looked very different especially to the other two cats. He was still partially drugged and showed anger to these two other cats that came to sniff out what has happened. He now is disliked by the two other cats, and only time will tell until he starts getting along with them again. It is rather sad.

I had planned to attempt to adopt a young Dachshund that is available, but I am going to have to put that off for a while.

My son has two long-haired cats.  One is a lion mane cat, the other is a ragdoll.  Even though he combs him weekly, the lion mane cat has to be shaved down every few months, except for the head, legs, and tip of tail.  He gets terribly matted due to the undercoat that breed has.  The ragdoll never has to be clipped.  Her fur/hair stays mat-free with just weekly combing!

I have no idea how fast the hair will grow out on my newly short trimmed cat, but I hope that will be at least a year before I need to start combing and cleaning out the leaves etc from his hair.

An old trick that sometimes works when cats are being silly about a returning cat or bringing in a new cat. Dab some vanilla extract on a piece of cotton and then rub it lightly on the base of each cat's tail. Then they all smell the same and usually everybody is friends again.

Just an FYI. When you get your new Doxie, best if it is already cat friendly.

That is one of the conditions I have for a new Doxie. The cat-lady suggested that my cat smelled of the other animals etc. that it was exposed to. I was instructed to wipe a small rag up and town the heady, body and tail of the two angry cats, then repeat the process on my cat, and back and forth getting them to each have a little dose the smell of the other.

Trouble although I have a great relationship with my cats, they want their own way and I had one heck of a time doing as instructed. The cats hated what I was doing with an old but clean washrag.

Archived