Chapala.com Webboard

New nuisance caller on cell phone

I blocked a 664 number three weeks ago. When I would answer it, there was no one there; not even a click-off. When I ignored it, my answering machine got nothing. Several days after I blocked it, a different 664 started calling me. I blocked it, and have had no more.

Trying to figure out what kind of system would do this: if it was for the election, surely there would be at least a recording. If it's looking simply for "live" numbers, the fact that your phone rings at all would tell it, but to what purpose? Future marketing? And having a dozen calls a day, answered or not, from the same number... to what end?

If you have an iPhone, don't answer the call.  When it stops ringing, go to recents on your phone app and there will be a little i in a circle at the right side of the unwanted call.  Tap on it and go down to block this caller.  Tap that and the number will be blocked.

I get one for a "Maria Peregrina." Whoever she is, she must owe a LOT of people a LOT of money. No matter how many times I politely say that it's obvious I'm not her (the heavy accent should be the first clue), they'll call back on another number. Back when I was still being polite, I even answered their questions (other than name or anything personal) like the fact that I've had the phone for at least 3 years. That didn't work, nor does blocking. Now, I'm just having fun with them wasting their time.

28 minutes ago, Tingting said:

Now, I'm just having fun with them wasting their time.

My technique is to say the person sought should be available shortly when they finish some (arbitrarily extensible) task, and while waiting ask the caller what she/he is wearing...

20 minutes ago, utilitus said:

My technique is to say the person sought should be available shortly when they finish some (arbitrarily extensible) task, and while waiting ask the caller what she/he is wearing...

If I recognize from call ID that I don't want to talk to them, I start talking to them in baby talk.

On 6/28/2018 at 10:01 AM, Tingting said:

I get one for a "Maria Peregrina." Whoever she is, she must owe a LOT of people a LOT of money. No matter how many times I politely say that it's obvious I'm not her (the heavy accent should be the first clue), they'll call back on another number. Back when I was still being polite, I even answered their questions (other than name or anything personal) like the fact that I've had the phone for at least 3 years. That didn't work, nor does blocking. Now, I'm just having fun with them wasting their time.

When I get these calls on my VoiP number I answer and whisper, "it's done! There's blood everywhere. Send the cleaner NOW! and quietly hang up.

On 6/28/2018 at 9:05 AM, Mainecoons said:

Number is 6643950006.  Doesn't seem to respond to "baja" or 2222 requests to desist.  Costing me money too.  Any idea who/what it is and how to stop?

Thanks.

If the calls are on your cell phone from the USA or Canada download the free app Hyia on Android or Apple phone and it has certainly solved my 4 call a day problem.

Read about it here

I have had the same 331 -###-#### cell phone number for about ten years. And for some reason I almost never get robo calls or much of anything. I don't know why. Sure I get messages from UNO but I just checked now, and there were two yesterday, so far none today.

My iPhone lumps them be they one, two, or 5,  over one two or three days, I see one UNO--- link which I delete and they really don't bother me. When I have too much time on hands I even check one of them out, which I can almost understand.

Archived