Chapala.com Webboard

Getting wheelchair at Guad airport

You can also walk in with a cane and look for an attendant. Last year with my sciatica, I had pre-arranged for wheelchair, but nobody know. However, my cane was spotted and I was taken care of immediately.

There is no fee, fortunately. Just make sure at each off and on you get a chair. It makes sense to call and arrange it, of course, as per gogirl's suggestion, because then you should see a chair each time you get off, and each time your boarding pass is processed. So ask when you are boarding the first leg, if you have not called ahead, to ensure it's available each time.

Request one through airline for return flight.  They will be right outside exit from plane.  Getting one to help you at airport for departure is a little more complicated.  If someone is taking you to airport ask them to go find wheelchair attendant.  Luggage guys should also be able to help get one.  This is probably the best eolution-- have sky cap find wheelchair attendant to take you and sky cap takes luggage to counter.  If you can walk to counter the airlines will summon one for you.  Service is free but be sure to tip.  You will not be the only wheelchair passenger.  I was once in a flight with at least 20 people in wheelchairs waiting to board!

At GDL a few years ago, my Ex used a wheelchair and when she was delivered to the exit area she was told there was a US$20 fee. She said she thought the chair was free and was told the $20 was for the attendant (the guy pushing the chair and who wanted the $20). She gave him $10.00 and called me over to borrow the other $10. I new this was B.S. and tried to get the $10 back but no deal. The guy just left. To add insult to injury, her carry-on was taken from her, without her permission, and put in the cargo area. When she got it back at GDL, it had been pilfered and US$70 taken and some costume jewelry. 

Yeah, if you're ever in the Middle East, don't believe them when they offer you a free camel ride.  The ride may be free but if you want to get down off the camel it'll cost you.

Everything costs something and somebody has to pay for it.

Archived