Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

A friend of mine who lives in Abbeyfield told me Saturday that they were notified that Abbeyfield is closing.  Apparently the reason is that Abbeyfield is not making money.  She is beside herself looking for a place to live.

What a shame if true.  Abbeyfield has long been one of the premier places as a retirement home.

 

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is shocking, considering it has always been a very sought-after place to move into. Waiting lists, year after year. Could it have gone downhill that much, that quickly? Doesn't seem real.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

That is shocking, considering it has always been a very sought-after place to move into. Waiting lists, year after year. Could it have gone downhill that much, that quickly? Doesn't seem real.

Maybe they are at a stage where up keep is eating into their profit. Too many people do not budget enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who really knows but generally, a business does not fold because of lack of profit without at least trying to raise prices to see if their customer base is able to "come along" and keep everyone happy. If they haven't done that and failed at doing so, something else is involved. Rick made one astute guess. Problems with regulators might be another guess but in Mexico, probably not. There are ways around that usually. A "can't afford to say no" offer sounds high on the list of guesses.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear they are going out of business. I sure hope that somehow they are able to change their plans and stay open. I have only heard good things about them. And as I get older, one of these days, I will need a retirement facility and Abbeyfield would have been at the top of the list, base upon what others have said. (I have never been there)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Prime real estate location but there have been problems with a clean deed to that property from the beginning.  I'll try to remember the details  'cause I don't believe that they were ever resolved - just like the old hotel Ricon del Gustavo on the lakefront at Pedro Moreno and Independencia.  I"m a direct neighbor of both...  vamos a ver.  I'd be very cautious.

Maybe 14-15 years ago the hotel was being landscaped and renovated, large signs for a literal horse and pony show... The new "owner", a lawyer from Guad, who I met supposedly paid two million dollars for the property.  He was gone in record time and the caretakers are still there.  As far as I know, the deed is still held in Mexico City.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been sold. Who knows what it will become. Maybe a private residence.

Link to post
Share on other sites

At one time I understand the Kevin was a manager there, and that his wife Adrianna was also involved  with or helped with the management of Abbeyfield.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Which one?  Old hotel or Abbeyfield?  

 

Abbeyfield

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

Didn't Adrianna, local attorney, and her husband Kevin recently purchase Abbeyfield?

No. Kevin was the manager.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Floradude said:

A friend of mine who lives in Abbeyfield told me Saturday that they were notified that Abbeyfield is closing.  Apparently the reason is that Abbeyfield is not making money.  She is beside herself looking for a place to live.

What a shame if true.  Abbeyfield has long been one of the premier places as a retirement home.

 

They have 6 months to find a place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m betting that the “President” is definitely going to look forward to all us old NOB foggies calling him to ask about something that is just a Forum Buzz for 99.9% of us. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

For actual details and satisfy your curiosity  please contact the President of the AC.... Luis Enrique, Notaia #2. 766-0190

Do you have a stuttering problem?  I was asking cedros.   Thanks cedros.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, RickS said:

I’m betting that the “President” is definitely going to look forward to all us old NOB foggies calling him to ask about something that is just a Forum Buzz for 99.9% of us. 

 

53 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Do you have a stuttering problem?  I was asking cedros.   Thanks cedros.

He would prefer to set aside the speculation and provide you all with the facts...sorry if this is not the answer to want you want to hear

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...