Chapala.com Webboard

Construction noise

Wookie

We have been enduring loud music from 8:00 am until 6:30 to 7:00 pm every day except Saturday and then it ended at about 2:00 pm or when the beer ran out.  Not only the music but the workers would start arriving about 7:30 am to 7:45 am and they would shout greetings to one another from a block or so away.  They proceeded to communicate by shouting to the top of their lungs throughout the day ... so no napping for us either.  This has been going on since last October.  SO, new Mexican neighbors moved into the house on the opposite side of this construction and guess what???? ... No more noise.  It took about 3 days after they moved in for them to get this noise shut down.  Oh, heavenly peace!

Wookie, the construction on one side of me has been ongoing since May 2017. Along with the associated yelling and singing. Happiness I can bear, up to a point. Mexican neighbour and I have banded together on this.

Many of us have learned the hard way:  If noise bothers you, you start to realize Mexico is a much noisier country than where you came from. You either learn how to tune it out, you employ something like ear plugs, you move to a different location that you hope will be quieter or you return to your quieter country. I hope the OP's problem is fixed but my experience tells me one Mexican moving in does not make a permanent fix. OTOH, if said Mexican is, ahem, connected, it may well be a permanent fix.

We love our life here and have over the years learned to adjust.  I just thought this was rather a good one for those people that think Mexicans are all noisy and like noise to see this isn't necessarily true.  It was also a good reminder to us that when something is totally excessive to speak out instead of accepting this as "normal in  Mexico" as so many advise.

56 minutes ago, Wookie said:

We love our life here and have over the years learned to adjust.  I just thought this was rather a good one for those people that think Mexicans are all noisy and like noise to see this isn't necessarily true.  It was also a good reminder to us that when something is totally excessive to speak out instead of accepting this as "normal in  Mexico" as so many advise.

We agree. On some construction sites the daily noise can become unbearable.  We have had construction going on next to us for 5 years, first directly next door and now 2 doors to either side of us. Luckily they don't have a radio,but the constant banging of metal on cement is extremely annoying. although we have to suck it up, it can become extremely stressful especially if you are feeling unwell or need a siesta. And we often don't want to complain as they may make it worse for the pinche gringo. Gracias to your mexican neighbor for settling the situation....

18 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Just remember though how noisy house construction is in the U.S.A. and Canada. With wood frame houses, the rip saws, the table saws, the banging of hammers or nail guns and often rock and roll radio as loud as possible.

And the workers yelling to each other in Spanish.

41 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Just remember though how noisy house construction is in the U.S.A. and Canada. With wood frame houses, the rip saws, the table saws, the banging of hammers or nail guns and often rock and roll radio as loud as possible.

It's not just the volume, it's the extended length of time that it must be endured. Building is completed a lot faster up home.

I have always approached this type of situation(construction noise/gardener's radio/etc.) with a friendly approach

and polite request(Spanish) along with a plate of cookies/soda and an occasional repeat visit with goodies.

I also introduce myself to the head person and chat for a bit about the project.

With rare exception the noise factor is 'calmed' and or at least tolerable. 

Hope this helps.

Oh, I've been over. I've brought cold beers (and warm on occasion). I've talked to the engineer, the architect, the owner, the maestro, the workers. I've given them little jobs in my place for extra money, I've thanked them for cleaning up out front of my place, and I smile and wave almost every day. You play it as it lays.

Do you remember the Canadian couple that was murdered in La Floresta maybe about 2 years ago. From memory I seem to remember that they had complained about the noise coming from a construction site next to their home. This is really from memory from an article in the Guadalajara reporter covering this tragedy. 

I live in an all Mexican neighborhood so I put up with what ever my neighbors put up with, but it would be nice to have a 'connected" Mexican move in, maybe that would put an end to the endless dog barking at night and maybe there would be less trash all over the freaking place.

4 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

...but it would be nice to have a 'connected" Mexican move in, maybe that would put an end to the endless dog barking at night and maybe there would be less trash all over the freaking place.

Do you mean the kind of connection I think Pappy meant?

tmaps+main+objectives.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 5:08 PM, HoneyBee said:

Do you remember the Canadian couple that was murdered in La Floresta maybe about 2 years ago. From memory I seem to remember that they had complained about the noise coming from a construction site next to their home. This is really from memory from an article in the Guadalajara reporter covering this tragedy. 

I live in an all Mexican neighborhood so I put up with what ever my neighbors put up with, but it would be nice to have a 'connected" Mexican move in, maybe that would put an end to the endless dog barking at night and maybe there would be less trash all over the freaking place.

They were robbed.  It had nothing to do with the complaint.  The thieves cased the neighborhood, saw them leave with luggage, and assumed the house would be empty.  It was not.  They were murdered with items in their own home.  They had taken visitors to the airport.  Changes in La Floresta security were made due to the murders.

On 6/30/2018 at 11:55 AM, Aquaponicsman said:

One of my friends in NY used to live next to John Gotti. He said it was the safest, quietest neighborhood around!

I was wondering how long it would take to share that Old old chestnut.......He must have had a thousand neighbours!!!!

45 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Near the Gold Coast, based on a book of the same name. Nelson DeMille. 1990. Great story. And a sequel.

Now there's a good storyteller, Nelson DeMille!!

Archived