Chapala.com Webboard

BOBBY'S LA TERRAZA

gringal

We decided to try lunch there today.  The menu is extensive,  but we both settled on the "low carb and lighter fare" section and ordered the Mexican Burger and Roast Pork Birria sandwich.  A basket of warm corn bread squares and butter arrived quickly.  The server was pleasant and attentive, but not overly so.  Good iced tea.

The burger was large and the patty thick, with a long list of things including the usual, but in addition, avocado and sweet peppers.  A side pile of black beans along with a few veggies was included.  My spouse and I traded sandwich halves, and there was no way we could have consumed more, so we skipped the special ice cream temptation.

The burger plate was $85 pesos; the pork sandwich $95.  Seemed reasonable for the quality and quantity served.  We'll be back to try some of the many other dishes offered. 

The restaurant still suffers from the road noise, but Bobby has redecorated and it's looking good.This is a nice addition to the local scene.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.... Our dinner wasn’t  as successful as your lunch but  l probably wouldn’t have posted...however unfortunately  it seems it will be me against  “the group “ again . But  that’s never really been  an issue for me , and it is another rainy day .  My problem  is  restaurant ethics , of course that’s  not your problem ,it’s mine...... Roberto sold his restaurant to two saps  with little or no restaurant experience and no  Mexican experience... I have no problem with that it was their decision..”.god bless em “ My  issue is opening a restaurant  about one hundred  yards down the street .....covenant not to compete  is doubtful here , Some will  say completely different menu....I say......” same meat different gravy . Of  course that’s just me.. So please go ahead and enjoy...... slings and arrows....no big deal

, really

7 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

.... Our dinner wasn’t  as successful as your lunch but  l probably wouldn’t have posted...however unfortunately  it seems it will be me against  “the group “ again . But  that’s never really been  an issue for me , and it is another rainy day .  My problem  is  restaurant ethics , of course that’s  not your problem ,it’s mine...... Roberto sold his restaurant to two saps  with little or no restaurant experience and no  Mexican experience... I have no problem with that it was their decision..”.god bless em “ My  issue is opening a restaurant  about one hundred  yards down the street .....covenant not to compete  is doubtful here , Some will  say completely different menu....I say......” same meat different gravy . Of  course that’s just me.. So please go ahead and enjoy...... slings and arrows....no big deal

, really

Never miss an opportunity to diss something.  Rule to live by?

5 hours ago, Xena said:

Hate to ruin your night, Ian, but I and most everyone I know thinks the same thing. Not to say you will not hear from the Bobby Fan Club but no slings and arrows here.

"I and most everyone I know thinks..."  has the proper ingredients of a rumor. Period.  I have heard it, too.  Have you or anyone you know asked any of the principals to this transaction for the facts?  I did, and unless I was flat-out lied to, there was no "non compete" agreement.  The sale was for furniture and a liquor license.  At the time, Robert Snyder had cancer and didn't expect to live and  work again.  He beat the cancer but now, he needs to make a living in the only field he knows.  I am not a member of anyone's "fan club", but I do have compassion for anyone facing that kind of issue.

My impression of Bobby is that he is a bit impulsive.  Restaurant here, restaurant there, go to the beach, now back here.  Attributing dark motives to him IMO is a real stretch.  Bobby bounces around a lot.  :)

I think he picked a poor location.  We only went to El Serape once and concluded there was just too much street noise for us.  I wish he had picked a better place because when he is on his game it is good.  But we can't handle the din from the street.

As far as the buyers of his previous place being "saps" well just take a look at the chaotic ever changing restaurant scene around here.  I wouldn't label all those who come and go so rudely but I think a very large percentage, maybe more than half, suffer from serious inexperience, under capitalization and delusions of grandeur. 

It has been that way in the now going on 11 years we've been here and I don't expect it to change. 

For us it is just what is so about living here.  Like we used to say about the weather in New Mexico, just wait a little while and it will be a whole lot different.  Ditto for the restaurant scene here.  The relatively few who know what they are doing and maintain their consistency and quality over time will remain.  The rest will provide a constant stream of new material for La Cocina.  :D

Good analysis.  I've been here in Ajijic 11 years too, and the restaurant scene when I moved here left much to be desired.

IMO, it's unreasonable to expect world class dining in this outpost of the world.  For one thing, most people couldn't afford it.  I'm just happy that there's some variety and that most of it is "good enough" to provide me and friends with a pleasant outing, mostly for lunch.

48 minutes ago, Wookie said:

We have been here for 13 years and what is new to me is the attitude of the newbies coming down.  Really disheartening.

I'd like to think they are the minority of newcomers.  Furthermore, Mexico has a way of dissolving most "attitudes" in time. Those who can't handle that will likely leave.

20 minutes ago, gringal said:

I'd like to think they are the minority of newcomers.  Furthermore, Mexico has a way of dissolving most "attitudes" in time. Those who can't handle that will likely leave.

We hope sooner that later. HAHAHAHA

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

We have been here for 13 years and what is new to me is the attitude of the newbies coming down.  Really disheartening.

Amen to that Wookie!  Same thing is happening here in Puerto Vallarta. Plenty of money, lots fewer brains and manners.

Sorry, Gringal, Greenwood’s rambling trolls are transparent but can be difficult to follow. I read his “covenant not to compete is doubtful here“ to mean he doubted there was any non-compete  clause which I agree with. I and others still think it is unfortunate that Bobby chose to locate so close to the people who bailed him out of his restaurant. The general consensus is that Bobby knew what he was doing and the new couple did not. That is our OPINION to which we are entitled as much as you to your never wavering defense of all things Bobby. Reread Mainecoons’ excellent post for a clear-eyed analysis of Bobby and the lakeside restaurant scene.

3 hours ago, gringal said:

Good analysis.  I've been here in Ajijic 11 years too, and the restaurant scene when I moved here left much to be desired.

IMO, it's unreasonable to expect world class dining in this outpost of the world.  For one thing, most people couldn't afford it.  I'm just happy that there's some variety and that most of it is "good enough" to provide me and friends with a pleasant outing, mostly for lunch.

Yup, exactly.  You nailed it.  Just one more reason why you are my favorite restaurant reviewer.  Pragmatic and realistic.

36 minutes ago, Xena said:

Sorry, Gringal, Greenwood’s rambling trolls are transparent but can be difficult to follow. I read his “covenant not to compete is doubtful here“ to mean he doubted there was any non-compete  clause which I agree with. I and others still think it is unfortunate that Bobby chose to locate so close to the people who bailed him out of his restaurant. The general consensus is that Bobby knew what he was doing and the new couple did not. That is our OPINION to which we are entitled as much as you to your never wavering defense of all things Bobby. Reread Mainecoons’ excellent post for a clear-eyed analysis of Bobby and the lakeside restaurant scene.

I not only read it, I thoroughly agreed with Mainecoons' analysis. And yes, I agree with you that Ian's rambling style led me to an incorrect conclusion.

Since you've elected me to the status of "never wavering defense of all things Bobby" in your pursuit of silliness, I'll go ahead and ask just WHERE there was an appropriate vacant restaurant site to which he could have located this time around?  Furthermore, what difference did it make? We choose where to eat based on our taste in food. I doubt most people go where they do because they like the owner. 

24 minutes ago, gringal said:

We choose where to eat based on our taste in food. I doubt most people go where they do because they like the owner. 

Not sure about that: I've seen lots of people swoon when they get to know the owner. Because now they "know the owner", which implies some sort of superior or worldly cachet. Maybe that works in that way in a Michelin restaurant, but around here it just keeps people going to a place that they might not otherwise.

13 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Not sure about that: I've seen lots of people swoon when they get to know the owner. Because now they "know the owner", which implies some sort of superior or worldly cachet. Maybe that works in that way in a Michelin restaurant, but around here it just keeps people going to a place that they might not otherwise.

I guess I should have qualified that to say "I" only go to places where I like the food and knowing the owner doesn't make a difference in that choice.  Others' mileage may vary, etc.

13 minutes ago, gringal said:

I guess I should have qualified that to say "I" only go to places where I like the food and knowing the owner doesn't make a difference in that choice.  Others' mileage may vary, etc.

Remember our Manchester friend from Magana? Now there was a choice...

There was no attempt to troll , sow discord or “diss “ ...I just stated that a series of events, in my opinion resulted in an unethical business decision . It’s an opinion that’s all.. As to the various “ newbie “ comments , coincidentally it’s ten years ago today we began building our house .

4 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

LOL! Had my first burger with avocado in L.A. while doing the tourist thing, at some restaurant near Mann's Chinese "where the stars ate". 1974 maybe? Modern Mexican indeed.

Have either you or Bisbee Gal seen the rest of the menu?  Much more interesting choices than what I had. Frankly, I was going for one of the cheaper lunch items on this exploratory visit. 

Since another poster appointed me as the official defender of "all things Bobby", I'll describe the burger as shown on the actual menu, which I have a copy of:

"Mexican Burger: Ground beef, bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado, grilled onions and sweet peppers, Monterey Jack cheese, salsa, and served with a black bean salad". 

Doesn't sound like anyone else's burger to me.

As far as calling the menu "Mexican Modern", I suspect this is a victory of imagination over reality, but I really don't care as long as the food is good. It's worthwhile to note that in designing any menu for a local, mostly expat customer base, no restaurant owner in his right mind would go for the authentic super hot and spicy part of Mexican cuisine.  There are exceptions to all things, but these potential diners are a bunch of gringos who mostly aren't up to the really hot stuff.😋

At the risk of alienating friends here, no I haven't seen the menu, but your description sounds like a burger with avocado. Every burger should start with beef, I think, and have most of the rest on it, too. Does a side of black bean salad make it "Mexico Modern"?  That is what he promised, and as I mentioned in other threads, there are a number of shows on TV that highlight "Mexico Modern", which does not mean spicy or hot. It refers to taking traditional Mexican ingredients and elevating dishes to something unique and concept-changing.

BTW, is 85p the new normal for a hamburger around here? It wasn't that long ago that Rick sold his, absolutely giant and loaded, for 75, and I only went there on special occasions because of it.

Archived