Chapala.com Webboard

Best Vanilla & Tequila

Kurbie

I have some clients back in the states that have asked me to bring them the best Vanilla & Tequila (available in the Lakeside area).  Any suggestions on brands and where to get them?  Thanks!

Agreed. Far better than the brands that advertise extensively with full-colour pages in magazines up north.

As for vanilla, that is a tough one. I bougth an inexpensive plastic bottle at SuperLake, like Corona, because it has no coumarin, but it is clear, and I read often that clear is not good... it must be dark and murky. BUT you can't tell, because the bottles are all dark and murky. Corona insists it is pure, and the ingredients label shows it near the top of the list of contents... but who knows? They say it has to be amber in colour. For taking up north, I buy fancy glass bottles with rope around the rim, and everyone is happy.

I can find no definitive answers on the Web.

See if you can find POSA vanilla.  Not the artificial stuff, the extract.  The bottle looks like this and comes in a variety of sizes, the vanilla is brown (as it should be).  WalMart usually has it.
image.thumb.png.1929974f1d6d01d017692d2d41d8dc29.png

Second the Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia.  Also Maracame Anejo is an excellent smooth tequila.  Siete Leguas is another favorite of mine.  Your best price on these and most others is going to be the Duty Free shops at the airport.  I have found they are most often the least expensive place to buy tequila and other liquors and they usually offer specials.

That article cannot apply here, based on this excerpt: " Do not purchase vanilla extract with a Mexican label, even from a specialty food store or online! Mexican vanilla that is produced by a reputable American company is fine however."

I like Fortaleza, also called Los Abuelos. Squarish bottle with the pina as a stopper. They have it at Paz.

The best vanilla comes from Haiti, Perrier. Close to zero alcohol vs others at up to 25% by volume. 

Archived