Chapala.com Webboard

Process for extending TIP

Hi, sorry just saw this thread, for fastest service come in or call office, best to carry a print out of this file I have made in case you are stopped, 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/etfj1dwoml02od8/SAT Aduana Manual Junio 2018 extranjeros.pdf?dl=0 

• 1 month later...

My TIP expires June 6. I would rather not travel during Covid-19. It would mean a 3 day drive for me. Is there any way to get an extension and not loose my deposit? I would much rather make the drive when everything calms down a bit. 

Also, do I need to go to a specific border? Has anyone done this at the southern border? 

Thanks

In San Miguel once an FMM expires I am renewing them. And also TIP's are being renewed in Queretaro but deposit lost. I have had clients come from lakeside to do this.

17 hours ago, Sonia said:

In San Miguel once an FMM expires I am renewing them. And also TIP's are being renewed in Queretaro but deposit lost. I have had clients come from lakeside to do this.

Sonia I know that you confer with Aduana on a regular basis. Has any reason been given as to why Mexican INM would 1) renew a Tourist card within the country but 2) Aduana would not follow through the same way and preserve the deposit?

Or is it just the old.... it's Mexico and logic is not always practiced. I would really hate to believe that it is just them wanting to basically steal a tourist's money.

The FMM must be expired to be renewed. Then the TIP usually is renewed but it has expired so deposit is lost. There is no fee for the 180 day TIP extension.

Some INM offices treated an expired FMM under the humanitarian regulations. I believe most or all of those INM offices have quit doing so including in PV where I have an office.

In SMA, the expired FMM was treated basically the same as an expired TR visa. There are a total of 3 fees amounting to 3700 pesos. But it saves a trip to the border and it saves having an expired FMM and TIP except briefly. Remember if a FMM is expired, person is illegal and in the event of an accident insurance will not cover you. A person needs a valid FMM AND TIP to legally operate a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico. This I have confirmed with insurance brokers.

• Thanks 1