Chapala.com Webboard

Process for extending TIP

Just now, elisabeth said:

Can anyone tell me what the process for extending our TIP is? I have heard we need to go to customs at GDL, but recently immigration in Chapala was unable to tell some applicants what to do. We have just arrived and are applying for RT and RP status. Thanks

The TIP isn't "extended" by doing anything. TIPs are automatically extended if your legal immigration status is extended. What notifying ADUANA of your legal immmigration status change is keep your deposit from being forfeited within 15 days of the expiration date ADUANA has on their data base. Example: 30 day FMM; 1 year RT visa/card; 3 year RT card renewal. If you notified ADUANA of these changes in your "legal stay" in Mexico within 15 days your deposit for the TIP wouldn't have been forfeited somewhere along the way.

You need to present a notification to aduana within 15 days of your RT being authorized with proper number of copies and attachments.  My office does this for people if you dont want to drive to the city to present it.

• Like 1

Residente temporal visa holders~applicants who have TIP vehicles (here on temporary import permits)  must notify Aduana, in writing, of your residente temporal visa being approved or of being renewed.  When your new RT visa is 'approved', or extended,  when you go in to the INM office, to provide your official signature for your RT card,  you then have 2 weeks to notify Aduana.   In the written notice to Aduana, along with TIP information & passport info, you also include information identifying & documenting the expiration date of your RT Visa,  requesting Aduana to extend the TIP's current expiration date to match the RT visa's new expiration date.

Spencer does this well ... dotting all i's & crossing all t's.

I recommend to my clients to go twice, once when they submit their visa application to INM and again when visa is issued. I give them all the requirements and exact location.

Even when one does it 100% correct for some reason there can be issues. I sometimes wonder if these arise more with those who pay cash. The staff at Aduana when you are leaving say you lost your deposit when in fact the employees keep it.

If you do not notify then you will not get the deposit back.  Over the years their internal policies have changed.  Before they were very diligent about registering notifications.  Previously if there was an issue it could be fixed with a phone call and money credited within days, now even after documents and proof is sent nothing happens.  Now they are very sloppy and when presented with evidence and even when the computer shows that the extension was done properly, they give excuses and aduana blames Banjercito who blames SAT and the three agencies cannot get their stories straight.  It seems to be a policy to keep peoples money knowing many dont speak Spanish and to sue would cost much more than the amount in dispute. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2018 at 4:53 PM, Ajijic_hiker said:

Yes...sad but true.  That is exactly what happened to me...and I did all the correct paperwork through Spencer's office.  Apparently he explained to me, as above, that I was not the only one who lost the TIP.  They can be greedy bastards who just don't give a damn...so good luck!  If you are coming in on a regular tourist visa, your chances of a refund when you leave are better.

As I recall NAFTA exempted autos from duty, including used cars. When the deal was done and signed all around the Mexican auto dealers  assn. raised cane and Mexico never honored the used car importation rules. It they had there would be no need for the $300 deposit. In the late 80s and early 90s folks used to drive to Panama or Costa Rica and sell their Travelalls for more than they could in the USA and fly home. Not a bad way to spend 2-3 months. None of the countries going south needed a deposit including the country where you sold the car.

• 11 months later...

I see this conversation appeared a year ago, however I am going to weigh in here because Spencer handled our original RT visa and our 3 year extension.  We understood that our TIP automatically followed our visa status.  This may be the case, however we were driving back Saturday from the states and were stopped outside of Chihuahua by the Feds.  They claimed our TIP had expired and we were driving my truck illegally.  We explaines to them our TIP follows our Visa....but they would have known of it.  We talked to 3 officers the last of whom apoke good English.  The bottim line was we had no document showing the expiration date of our TIP.  We had to drive back to the border to exchange our TIP...3 hours each way plus gas and hotel.  We now have a TIP expiration date that matches our Visa expiration.  Problem is my wife and daughter have cars here and they don't have that.  You had better have documentation regarding your TIP status.  Just spouting off about the law or some data base as some where isnt going to work if your Federal police think otherwise, its Saturday, and your in the middle of nowhere

22 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

I see this conversation appeared a year ago, however I am going to weigh in here because Spencer handled our original RT visa and our 3 year extension.  

I  suggest every one carries a copy of article 106 which  you will find at the bottom of this page: 

http://www.soniadiaz.mx/vehicles.html

I also suggest going to Aduana twice to protect your deposit and often a letter is issued extending the TIP so it expires on same date as one's temporary resident visa.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remember that it is Mexico!  where there are as many 'right or wrong' answers as their are people giving said.

Having given that caveat, me thinks that the 'law' states that the TIP is valid for as long as the holder's visa is valid.... so yours should be good to go for the duration. But if it were me, and I was in a position to do so, I'd visit Aduana annually at the 'renewal' time.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 9:18 AM, geeser said:

As I recall NAFTA exempted autos from duty, including used cars. When the deal was done and signed all around the Mexican auto dealers  assn. raised cane and Mexico never honored the used car importation rules. 

NAFTA did not exclude duty on importing certain vehicles. It gradually over more than 20 years reduced the small range of selected years to allow a wider range of newer and older vehicals that were allowed to be imported until there would have been duty on all used cars that qualified - NAFTA built, non dual axle trucks, non diesel, under the maximum weight restrictions etc..

Mexico, about 5 or 6 years ago, stopped that completely.

Until then Mexico did honor the NAFTA importing vehicle rules except where federal judges passed injunctions to skirt the rules which expired in a short time and issued more in certain jurisdictions applied for by local vehical importers in Mexican border cities. Those judges were more often than not, according to Mexicali local news, paid off and as you must remember  almost anything and any year model was able to be imported in certain cities and by certain importers at different times except for non NAFTA made vehicals. This was the good old days. Funny you forgot how it really was? 😊

Great news!  Wanderer could you be more specific of that process at the border? Did you 'have to' hand them the new CC also, or just write down the new number, expire date and code and the paperwork? I have an acquaintance who is in that same situation and she wants me to drive her car out so she would NOT be in the vehicle.

i cancelled my permit at the kiosko then drove over to the building on the incoming side, cancelled my fmm then gave the car cancellation to the lady at banjercito, explained the situation in spanish, she gave me the form to fill out with old and new card info, i signed it left, 2 days later i get my money back. this is the second time ive had to do it because my CC got hacked and usaa cancelled it. no problem.

i also arrived at the colombia bridge a couple of years ago and couldnt find my tip paperwork, told the guy in the kiosko, he filled out a form and got it cancelled. told him it was stolen. no problem. got my refund in 2 days.

• 5 months later...
On 6/19/2018 at 8:53 AM, Intercasa said:

You need to present a notification to aduana within 15 days of your RT being authorized with proper number of copies and attachments.  My office does this for people if you dont want to drive to the city to present it.

Spencer, when I enter next Oct, my RT expires in Jan, when I get the new card, can I somehow send you what  you need to do it for me, assuming they won't give me a 180 day when I cross? I will try but I suspect they will tie it to my 1 year RT.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a TIP extension related question, but with Covid and medical aspects. Are there considerations by Mexico Aduana for extending my tourist TIP for a year?  The TIP expires April 15th, 2020 and I had planned to drive out to Houston, where we usually leave the car, on April 4th. Our April 7th YYC flight (and others) have been cancelled. Because I busted my kneecap, and it needs to stay straight for another 2 weeks, I cannot drive or fly until then.  If I extend the TIP for a year, we can take a repatriation flight, but have the TIP issue to deal with. Any thoughts on how to best handle the paperwork, if that is a worthwhile activity?

I have not heard of any new plan to address either/both Tourist cards and TIPs expiring. It's probably not high on the government's priorities.

If I were you I would contact Spencer McMullen @ Chapala Law (765-7553) as he would be the best 'authority' on any possibilities, existing or planned. He also Posts here as "Intercasa". 

• Like 1