Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for long term rental

Pam

My husband and I are looking for a furnished long term rental. We have 2 well behaved older pets.   Would like to look at rentals soon. We are staying in Puerto Vallarta and can drive to Chapala. Price range 800 to 1300US a month

What part sounds crazy Xena? Should I not have wished them Good Luck?  You must have been able to discern a lot more of what they are looking for from that meager and vague post than I was. To be honest, most similar posts do in fact list about fifteen things that are desired and then fail to list the budget. The market is never out of whack, at least for very long, it always responds to the old laws of supply and demand. When new deep pockets show up prices go up. When it leaves they go down. 

Xena--the rental market is painfully awful. I've been looking for months. Not only have rents gone up but the demand for rentals exceeds the supply. Listings as high as 1300 usd are not unusual;  $800 to $950 usd a month is the average range for a 2 br, 2 bath.  You must also face the fact that you may be asked to  pay each month according  to the us/mx exchange rate if the rent quoted in dollars is to be paid in pesos. Thus your rent can fluctuate each month. With the exchange rate as high as 1 usd = 20.5,  for a $850 rental you'd give your landlord today about 17,000 pesos.

About 2015, there was quite an angry exchange on this forum on this topic. But like it or not, it's common for rent agencies to demand a fluctuating monthly rent tied to the current exchange rate.

Lexy

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

What part sounds crazy Xena? Should I not have wished them Good Luck?  You must have been able to discern a lot more of what they are looking for from that meager and vague post than I was. To be honest, most similar posts do in fact list about fifteen things that are desired and then fail to list the budget. The market is never out of whack, at least for very long, it always responds to the old laws of supply and demand. When new deep pockets show up prices go up. When it leaves they go down. 

What sounds crazy to me is that with a budget of 800 to 1300 USDs you have to be not picky about amenities and then you might find at least “something.” I have been out of the rental market for three years but thought I was keeping track of it. Granted, I have been distracted the past few months but did not think I was THAT out of it. 

19 minutes ago, Xena said:

What sounds crazy to me is that with a budget of 800 to 1300 USDs you have to be not picky about amenities and then you might find at least “something.” I have been out of the rental market for three years but thought I was keeping track of it. Granted, I have been distracted the past few months but did not think I was THAT out of it. 

Hahaha, I always enjoy your posts.  "Ain't it funny, how time slips away".

Regards

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

To the OP, people can help you more the more detail you provide.  Such as area preference, whether or not you'd like some outdoor space for the dogs, number of BRs, BAs, that sort of thing.

Mainecoons--I was describing the market as it is in response to postings. I'd love to make it more personal. 

Our needs are specific, necessarily so.  We need one level. Unfurnished or partially furnished. 2 br, 2 baths (shower stalls, no tubs).  Few entrance stairs. East of Ajijic:  La Floresta, San Antonio, Mirasol, Riberas (which puts us, without traffic,  near our clinics, labs, physical therapy, Super Lake and wine).  One dog. (OK, one cat, too.) Up to $950 usd monthly. A landlord who can/will accept a check in usd or offer a fixed rate monthly rent for duration of a long-term lease.

I am in touch with all the main rental realtors.  They themselves are searching for rentals to offer.   (And they, btw, almost invariably tie the monthly rent in pesos to the current exchange rate each month when it comes down to a contract. I'm not about to fight this trend; I just don't like it.)

I'm no slouch in my hunting. I've even gone to church parking lots on Sundays during services to put notices on windshields. I once posted a notice saying what I was looking and got three calls from people who thought I was offering such a place.

The rental market is tough right now.  And of course rents have gone up. I'm hunting.

Lexy

We are currently renting and are planning to leave this rental end of our lease October 30.  We have good landlord who repairs things and is a nice person, location is Riberas, 2/2, one floor, pets okay. Short walk to bus stop if needed.

I don't know what he will charge when we leave, but I can say that your budget will probably be no problem.  He will only take a long term.  Rent is in fixed US dollars, auto payment for the rent is arranged.

I know of a Two Bedroom, Two Bath Home in prime condition/never rented/beautifully appointed/furnished or unfurnished minimum one year lease or longer/walled yard/secure end of block and privacy/easily maintained yard/1200 a month USD  Quiet area and well maintained community near Racquet Club  email on site a personal message  Or talk by phone.

Lexy said: "... You must also face the fact that you may be asked to  pay each month according  to the us/mx exchange rate if the rent quoted in dollars is to be paid in pesos. Thus your rent can fluctuate each month. ..."

Sorry all .... but this is NOT a "rent fluctuation".  If you agree to a USD rate then you are still paying USD in the end.... just that your USD buy more or less pesos as the spot rate changes. What would be a fluctuation is the case where, on your first month, your $800 USD converts to $14,500 and then a few months later it converts to $20,000 but you only pay $14,500.  That means the landlord gets equivalent of $725 that month because the money market changed. Good deal for you, but NOT what you agreed to pay!

We, and many others I know, have always (3 houses) rented that way.  Quoted in dollars.  Paid monthly at the international spot rate on day rent is due. And in fact, especially if you have a resident (in Mexico) Mexican landlord, they are not supposed to collect rent any other way.

I still don't understand why rents are charged in USD.  We are in Mexico!  Everything else in priced in their national currency, pesos.  Rents should be priced in pesos as well.  If someone was trying to rent a home in the U.S., they would certainly expect rents to be listed in USD, because that would be the national currency there.

Many Mexican landlords have US ties and US bank accounts and rentals bringing in US dollars is one way they legitimately acquire US dollars. 

1 hour ago, suegarn said:

I still don't understand why rents are charged in USD.  We are in Mexico!  Everything else in priced in their national currency, pesos.  Rents should be priced in pesos as well.  If someone was trying to rent a home in the U.S., they would certainly expect rents to be listed in USD, because that would be the national currency there.

Repeat after me...

Serenity-Card01.jpg

17 hours ago, Lexy said:

I am in touch with all the main rental realtors.  They themselves are searching for rentals to offer.

Lots of rentals, just not many that fit your strict framework. This place is built into a mountain, and land is expensive, staircases and multilevels are inevitable. I would call out those Realtors - they do this all over Mexico, "Oh you will have no problem at all renting this unit out, we will look after it ourselves". A realtor or agent charges one month rent, as a commission on a 12 month lease. Is that worth chasing around and handholding versus a sale - no way.

I remember this argument vis a vis variable US rents - it is actually illegal, including its own clause in the Mexican Constitution. It was designed to interfere with any foreign countries attempt to interfere with the Mexican economy. If you are paying U.S.$ into a U.S. account, and not paying IVA - this is money laundering, clear and simple, and probably abetting US tax evasionas well. If you have a dispute, and go before the expat friendly Magistrate in Chapala, first thing he/she will ask the landlord for is all your electronic facturas. The way you are talking about was the way ten years ago - not anymore. Maybe that is why you percieve a lack of rentals, everything is more word of mouth now.

Saying all that, I wish you luck in your search.

When we were looking for a rental, we had a terrible time as well, especially if you want it all on one level with a budget.  There just wasn't that much available.  We were appalled at the cost of rentals and the condition of some of them.  It's a tough rental market.  Too many people chasing too few rentals, I think.  This is why I posted that we are moving out.  It may help someone here looking.

1 hour ago, Zeb said:

We were appalled at the cost of rentals and the condition of some of them. 

When we started coming to lakeside in 2001 the rentals were appalling, condition wise, even back then. It quickly made us decide to buy. Lakeside "rental furniture" was designed for 100# midgets and was as cheap as the landlords could find. Sounds like not a whole lot has changed. "What do you mean you want some padding when you sit down?" "This is authentic Mexican design furniture".  Of course as you got to know some folks and went to the homes of some of those landlords you noticed a different, shall we say, style.

Good for you Zeb, nice of you to share. Let's not forget when we all left home, left college. First job, trying to find the perfect place. It is always an evolution. If not, why did you leave your perfect place, to move to a new country, new culture, new language, - what did you expect? Mexico is a learning curve, learning makes your brain stronger, enjoy the journey, or move to the many milquetoast retirement communities of the U.S. and Canada.

23 hours ago, suegarn said:

This is because USD is something most foreigners (especially new ones) can relate to.  In Mexican neighborhoods you will find many more places quoted in pesos than in dollars. If you went out of this "gringo" area, you would find (nearly) all rentals quoted in pesos.

More than half of all rentals here in PV are in dollars and probably 90% of "for sale" listings are in dollars (US that is).  To understand why dollars are used and preferred in some parts of the world do some research as to the official currency of Ecuador. It happens to be the USD, unless they have recently changed. The sucre varied so much in value to other currencies it became a burden to carry 10,000 or so for a small purchase. Mexico would never change to the dollar, they would rather die, but many individuals prefer to do so. Thus the rise of crytocurrencies like bitcoins and others; not for me but others prefer them. Who cares what prices are quoted in if the law allows you to pay in Mexican pesos if you so desire?

This might be helpful - and also explain why property owners are now more reluctant to rent, sadly, especially to Mexican nationals (who might have a better understanding of the laws). This article is about Mexico City (CDMX), but I believe it is very similar in Jalisco.

https://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Latin-America/Mexico/Landlord-and-Tenant

Archived