Chapala.com Webboard

Tony's Campestre

ComputerGuy

This new place that Tony opened on the way to Vista del lago... went on Saturday night. Tony was out front at the grille. Nobody inside, really, and good service was a given (this was about 7pm). The menu is loaded and has many items from his other place that people liked (eg. coco shrimp, arrechera, ribs...). But the original place has gone downhill faster than a sled on grease over ice.

The cooking at the new place is like the old days: dependable. And not only that, really good. Tortilla soup was quite different and delicious: no fake red tomatos taste and plenty of epazote. A piece of arrechera covered the plate and was cooked perfectly. Breaded chicken came out more like chicken-fried chicken, and was juicy and tender and there was tons of it. My own cordero (lamb), which I used to love when he cooked out front of the old place on Sundays) is available both weekend days, and was marinated, tender, juicy and deelish.

His own version of fried totopos and salsas were different and tasty, and came out right away. Guacamole, ordered separately, could not have been better. We got agua frescas (melon) in large glasses, refilled at no charge without asking. A ton of veg served with each plate, and the only drawback, but exactly the same as the original place: boiled and watery, blech.

The arrechera as $189, the costlies menu item, but since it was Fathers' Day, I don't know what the final tally was. Chicken was like $129. Lamb was unpriced on the menu.

The place is clean and very large; out tables had linen. I look forward to going back, ordering the arrechera, and getting an order of the chicken to go.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, tomgates said:

6 of had lunch at the "old" Tony's, being run by his daughter. Service excellent. All good meals and drinks.

You might want to start a new thread instead of highjacking this one. More people looking for info on the old place will see it than burying it here. The “old” Tony’s need some good reviews. It has gotten a bad reputation of late. But this thread is about Tony’s Compestre. 

Archived