Chapala.com Webboard

Consignment shops--your favorite

Lexy

I've got some nice stuff I'd like to part with. Do you have a favorite consignment shop?  Do some shops specialize in certain things?

I've always liked Barbara's Bazaar for buying. It used to be my Bloomingdale's South when I first came here. But now I want to sell, not buy.

Thanks for any guidance.

Lexy

We've had good luck with the consignment place associated with and next door to "Have Hammers". It may depend on what kind of things you bring in.  It was tool-clearing time in our case, as well as some glassware and kitchen appliances.  They got decent prices for us.

I don't have a favourite. I cruise them all. And there are a LOT of them on the highway in Riberas. Almost as much fun as going to auctions in rural Ontario. There is very little in my house that was bought new. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle... if at all possible.

• Like 1

I have yet to buy anything at Barbara's Bazaar because the parking is awful and I find their prices much higher than the other stores. Even Todo Bueno could use some serious organization and marketing.

My current favourite is "It's kinda Bazaar..and kinda not"... on the lakeside of the highway in Riberas. Stuff in there seems to move very quickly. Easy to park, easy to walk around and logically displayed. YMMV.

• Like 5

There are for profit and nonprofit to help support various charities. I am identifying the ones that support education, disabilities, poor communities and art for children.

There are 2 bazars in Riberas del pilar across fro 7-11 , One is NCA which use money for paying sponsorships for children's education (consignment  20-25%) 

Casa Nuevo thrift and consignment store

.Tepehua Treasures  98 Hildago and consignment    

Que Ganga !  Carr.Chapala -Joco #976 La Canacinta. Next to Anchor restaurant     La Canacinta   Not a consignment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

What happened to the lady who used to be just behind the mercado in Chapala? I always found great garden clothes there....

Was that Smokee's?  If so, I think that store has been closed for years.  There is another Smokee's in Plaza Bugamvillas.  I believe Smoked passed away years ago.

Just another YES for Todo Bueno  between Have Hammers and S and S auto after my experience of many items from top to bottom values being sold to my satisfaction. They have a lot of extra storage area for your extra items which I needed. This non- profit supports MANY causes around lakeside which you would recognise at a glance.  

• Haha 1

There is a new and very nice bazaar across from Puritan Poultry. I think they are called Bazaar del Lago. First time I went there, a week or so ago, they were loaded with nice things. Next time many of those things were sold. It is a large space which allows things to be displayed nicely. 

Would suggest it for furniture, rugs, etc. Maybe It's Kinda for some smaller stuff.

I put some chairs and other items for consignment about a month ago at TODO Bueno thrift shop next S&S auto.

They sold in two weeks.  when i was in there its appears they a well known, they were over 8 people shopping,  and have heavy traffic of buyers.

and they also priced my items correctly. I was very happy with the results.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 years later...

Does anyone know if there is a consignment store that comes in and takes what you want to consign with them? I have 6 days to get out of my apartment when I get home i a week following a medical crisis. I'm currently in the States for hospitalization and treatment and will need to fly to Brazil 6 days after getting home next Saturday for recuperation with family before returning to Chapala several months later.

Thanks for any info that might be helpful.

Unfortunately, I have found the quality of things at Todo Bueno has really gone downhill, specifically for men's clothing.  Most of the shorts I looked at recently appeared to have been used while painting and other odd jobs -- should not even have been put on the shelves to sell.

For womens's clothing, my wife swears by So Chic Boutique on 5A Ramon Corona in Ajjiic.  Think the telephone number is 331-762-7838,  closed Mondays, Tues-Sat. from 10 am - 4 pm.