Chapala.com Webboard

Crossing to the US

Al Wilson

I would like any current information on your experience crossing the border into the US for a day or two with a US or Canadian passport at Laredo.

I need to make a clarification. The car my friend will be driving has a Mexican plate in this name so a tip is not an issue. I am concerned with how the US Border Patrol is acting under today's administration.

Be sure to stop at the banjercito booth to get your car sticker removed and your receipt, which you will keep forever.  You will need a new Importada Temporal if you return with a car.  If you fail to do this, and happen to trade, lose or be otherwise unable to return with the same car, you will never be able to bring in another.

At US customs, simply stop and show your passports. There should be no problems.

18 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

If you fail to do this, and happen to trade, lose or be otherwise unable to return with the same car, you will never be able to bring in another.

Never? If you do not return your TIP, you won't be able to get another with your current passport. A simple renewal of your passport with its new number will get you a TIP. Never is a long long time.

"They" were correct. They will not have a problem; you could have a big one, if unable to return your car to Mexico, for whatever reason; wreck, theft, fire, etc. Mexico will not care and will not take that car off your record as still in Mexico. They can even make you pay tax on its value, as they can assume you sold it in Mexico illegally. It can get nasty. Yes, that is rare, but it only takes a few minutes to do what is required, and avoid the possible consequences, just for convenience.

6 hours ago, Al Wilson said:

I would like any current information on your experience crossing the border into the US for a day or two with a US or Canadian passport at Laredo.

I need to make a clarification. The car my friend will be driving has a Mexican plate in this name so a tip is not an issue. I am concerned with how the US Border Patrol is acting under today's administration.

If that ;person can show proof that they live full time in Mexico and are just visiting the US with a Mexican car, there would never be a problem. The only problem is if you live in the US, you cannot have a Mexican plated car. They are sometimes asking lots of questions now, sometimes not. Just be prepared with the proof. I would not be surprised that in the next few years, if you want to enter the US with a Mexican plated car, you might need a visitors permit, like the Mexicans. That is the only way the US will know for sure that you are really just visiting with that car. YOMD.

6 hours ago, Al Wilson said:

We crossed Wednesday at Colombia and had the quickest crossing yet.  We were the third car in line and the agent was friendly and efficient. At the second, interior crossing the agent didn't even look at our passports.  He just thanked us for stopping.

18 hours ago, Al Wilson said:

I am concerned with how the US Border Patrol is acting under today's administration.

Same as they always have for legal immigrants, residents or visitors.  In fact I've noticed in recent years there has been a real effort to be polite and friendly and more efficient.  Enjoy your visit to the U.S.

If you are entering illegally, the welcome mat has been taken up.  Just like in Canada.  :)

Two weeks ago coming into Mexico at the McAllen crossing - wasn't even asked to see my passport OR INM card.  That was a first.

That is not unusual. We walk into Mexico at the Nogales pedestrian crossing, and have never had to show anything. There is an agent there, casually observing folks, but that is all.  Just walk on in, stop at the cambio for some pesos, if desired, and go on about your business.  Checkpoints are several kilometers south of most border cities, but you may be waved through them if you have Mexican plates on your car.

So, if you want, or need to "check in, or out", it is really up to you to find the place to do it.

Going north, into the USA, is a disturbingly different story. The lines are very long and the agents are moving in slow motion.

On 6/16/2018 at 1:57 PM, RVGRINGO said:

Be sure to stop at the banjercito booth to get your car sticker removed and your receipt, which you will keep forever.  You will need a new Importada Temporal if you return with a car.  If you fail to do this, and happen to trade, lose or be otherwise unable to return with the same car, you will never be able to bring in another.

At US customs, simply stop and show your passports. There should be no problems.

On 6/16/2018 at 3:50 PM, RVGRINGO said:

"They" were correct. They will not have a problem; you could have a big one, if unable to return your car to Mexico, for whatever reason; wreck, theft, fire, etc. Mexico will not care and will not take that car off your record as still in Mexico. They can even make you pay tax on its value, as they can assume you sold it in Mexico illegally. It can get nasty. Yes, that is rare, but it only takes a few minutes to do what is required, and avoid the possible consequences, just for convenience.

The OP said it's a car with Mexican license plates.  None of this applies to his question.

We just crossed from Mexico in the USA at Laredo about two weeks ago with our Mexican plated car. I bit of a line on the bridge but not a long wait. A very pleasant and professional agent took a look at our passports and asked us a couple of questions - same as previous experiences with a U.S. plated car. No questions about our Jalisco plates and no hassles whatsoever. Easy as could be.

Out of an abundance of caution we went to IMS on the Mexican side as we are both Permanente and didn't want to risk jeopardizing our immigration status. We had to ask a few people which counter to go to and they all seemed a little perplexed at our questions. We did finally got in the "right" line and the very nice gentlemen took a look at our INM cards and said we didn't need to do anything. I thanked him and said I just wanted to make sure. He asked the agent setting next to him what to do and he was told to just stamp our passports but to not have us fill out the FMM. Again, we were just being extra cautious but seems like that step was totally unnecessary.

You shouldn't have any problems at all with the Mexican plated care based on our recent experience. And our Mexican insurance policy has liability coverage while we are in the U.S. similar to the basic insurance you get on a rental car.

• 2 weeks later...

I have driven many Mexican plated vehicles into the USA. At Laredo there was never a problem. One time I was questioned "is this your car" I replied no it belongs to the company I work for. No more questions asked. No proof required. My last trip in May the agent didn't even ask if I had anything to declare. 

In regards to the OP's comment regarding how the border patrol is now acting.. They act the same as they have for years for people who cross the border legally. 

Archived