Chapala.com Webboard

Fido in Restaurants

rafterbr

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point. But I was considering the concept that "If they do it in the U.S., it should be do-able here". (Which begets this whole other line of "every state does it, every state wants it"...)

12 hours ago, suegarn said:

Well, another restaurant checked off my list!  It's one thing to let your pets eat off your dishes at home, if you are okay with it.  But DO NOT let your pets eat off a plate in a public restaurant.  That's just disgusting!

Why blame the restaurant?  They reacted as soon as they noticed the problem. The man who was described is well know around town for his boorish behavior and mistreatment of his dogs. We watched him berate and kick at one of his dogs on the plaza and one woman got up and went to their defence only to be assailed herself with a string of cursing and gesturing.....may the waitstaff knew him as well.

Someone will get the idea to call the right person to inspect the restaurants for breaking the law, if it’s against the law and then the whole discussion will be over.  

We were in Plaza Andares, the classiest mall in Guadalajara, eating last week and dogs were barking and making a fuss as they walked through the breeze way.  Maybe they’re allowed outside in the patio areas or something.   There should be some courtesy by the humans for other humans.   I tried to bring my pup into a restaurant in Guadalajara and Costco inside a pet bag, years ago and was kicked out of both.  lol. My daughter in law managed to get her pup into PF Changs one year and pulled the pup out of a purse after they’d eaten and no one said anything to them.   

I think it’s ok if the dog is well behaved, really well behaved and clean, lays down like you don’t notice they’re there.  If I were to take my European boxer, he’d be expected to lay down but he’s so big, I’d be afraid someone would trip on him so he stays home.   Dogs sitting on chairs at restaurants is definitely a NO.  Eating from plates also disgusting and beyond rude.   Those people shouldn’t be allowed to bring Fido back to dine outside again.  

So who is going to talk to the restaurant owners about doggie rules?  You’ve got 4 pages here and valid points.    

If someone can take care of the nasty distasteful real estate advertising on the libramiento put up last week by just going out and pushing the signs down, someone can take care of the doggie business.  

Doggies Allowed in Patio areas ONLY IF Humans give preferred courtesy to other Human diners or be asked to leave: 

No doggie butts allowed on chairs.  

No feeding doggies from table with dishes reserved for humans.  

Dogs must lay down by owners, be confined to doggie bags or strollers and be silent or doggie stays home  

10 hours ago, SunshineyDay said:

Easy solution fair to all concerned! NO DOGS ALLOWED! Problem solved!

Of course that is not fair to ALL- just to some.

Here's a thought that no one has mentioned yet.  All the dog owners who insist on bringing their dogs when they go out for lunch, what did you do when you were working?  I'm sure that you never took your dog with you then.  Why is it necessary now?  

58 minutes ago, cedros said:

Regardless of the law or customs this debate will never be resolved.

You speak the truth cedros. The world is full of folks who think laws are just suggestions and are to be broken whenever they find it convenient.  Human nature ain't gonna change anytime soon.

We voted with our feet.  Eight women out to lunch easily $300 pesos per with wine, margaritas, salads etc...so the owner likes to see us coming in.  We get our first round of drinks and are deciding on entrees and in walk a man with a boxer type dog.  The medium big dog isn't able to settle and paces.  We are still chatting so we order round two.  Woman comes in with small yappy dog with smashed in nose that runs all the time making the dog sniff and snort.  She is joined by another woman and both begin to pay extraordinary attention to the dog calling its name, asking it to lay down, calling its name again.  We all noticed, we were all not comfortable with the bigger dog but agreed the smaller dog was a serious annoyance with all that snuffling and sniffing and the woman touching its face while it was on her companions lap.  THen the dogs began to fuss at each other.  

Anyway it came time to order and we looked at each other and decided to go around the corner to another restaurant.  We apologized to the owner and our regular waiter and both of them just shrugged their shoulders.  Oh well.

1 hour ago, solajijic said:

Anyway it came time to order and we looked at each other and decided to go around the corner to another restaurant.  We apologized to the owner and our regular waiter and both of them just shrugged their shoulders.  Oh well.

I applaud your action but I don't understand your apologizing to the owner. It was his lack of action that made you decide  to leave.

I  would have been gone after the first round but that just me.

The owner's and waiter's action does not surprise me. The owner is in a no win situation.  Either way he loses money.  Yes, with your group it may be more money but he doesn't have to confront the other people. He just decided not to do the right (legal) way.

Maybe if people continue to do what solajijic and her friends did, the owners and managers at the restaurants will finally stand up and obey the law.  I have done this before as well.....walked out, not apologizing, but explaining why I'm leaving.  There appears to be many more people here that are on the side of no dogs allowed inside restaurants than there are pet owners that insist on breaking the law, and making restaurant owners face a difficult decision.

Here's another unfortunate situation.  At the Tuesday market today, I was sitting in the car waiting for the time to get in line when a woman debarked from her car nearby with a medium sized dog which was obviously not obedient to the owner.  It was wearing a "service dog" wrap and she was heading to the door to take it into the market, regardless of the "no dogs except service dogs" sign at the door. This was clearly not a service dog and this isn't the first time I've seen this happen.  People should be ashamed to take advantage of the "service dog" exception to the normal rules.  It is my understanding that real service dogs are very well trained.

16 minutes ago, suegarn said:

Maybe if people continue to do what solajijic and her friends did, the owners and managers at the restaurants will finally stand up and obey the law.  I have done this before as well.....walked out, not apologizing, but explaining why I'm leaving.  There appears to be many more people here that are on the side of no dogs allowed inside restaurants than there are pet owners that insist on breaking the law, and making restaurant owners face a difficult decision.

Does the residents have someone in the community that interact with the local government?  

2 hours ago, gringal said:

It is my understanding that real service dogs are very well trained.

Absolutely correct. A true "service dog" is a wonder to behold. It is at the beck and call of the master. And as you know, more than that: such an animal truly provides a great service, and not just to the owner.

I like to watch them: you will notice that they look at the master's face every two seconds for direction.

I think the real problem is the ingrained aversion, in the Mexical culture, to denying, confronting, or even saying "no" to anyone; especially a customer. Therefore, the owner and staff simply shrug, acquiesce, and.......que sera, sera...........

On June 14, 2018 at 9:03 PM, Travis said:

Note to self: No religion, no politics, no gun control vs. gun rights discussions, and never, ever, NEVER again another Chapala.com discussion about dogs in restaurants. :lol:

:014:

FIVE pages on this topic. Again! Congratulations Chapala.com!

Archived