Chapala.com Webboard

Fido in Restaurants

rafterbr

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have two dogs. They stay home when I go out to eat because they are not neurotic beasts who can not be left home alone. Neither am I an emotionally stunted human or so starved for attention that I must have my dogs beside me wherever I go.

That being said, I am not much bothered by well-behaved dogs under a table in an outdoor eating space. However, as someone pointed out, in too many cases that is not the way it goes. I have seen a medium-sized dog who jumped up barking and lunged at customers and staff daring to walk past its table. The owner “corrected” the dog by pulling it back, saying no, no, and then offering a bit of food from her plate. What lesson do you suppose the dog was learning? I have seen dogs on those damnable retractable leashes wander around begging food from other diners and creating tripping hazards. There was the dog that took a dump beside a stranger’s chair and several who piddled. In one case the owner called over the waiter and asked to have the pee wiped up. 

However, the most obnoxious example was the couple who sauntered into the lovely outdoor eating space with their two full-grown Great Danes who they loudly made sure everyone knew they had rescued. The dogs were untrained and unruly. They came close to knocking over a couple of people and the table. But, the best part was they kept barking loud, rumbling Great Dane barks which appeared to amuse the owners. Oh, they “tried” to correct them by saying no, quiet, stop in increasing volume. Guess how effective that was? 

Luckily my friend and I had finished eating when they arrived. Instead of lingering to chat we did request our check and left quickly, the rumbling barks following us out to the street. This was several months ago so hopefully the couple has since gotten some control over the dogs or decided to leave them home when they dine out.

22 minutes ago, Xena said:

I have two dogs. They stay home when I go out to eat because they are not neurotic beasts who can not be left home alone. Neither am I an emotionally stunted human or so starved for attention that I must have my dogs beside me wherever I go.

Thanks for the excellent description of the typical emotional cripple who pulls this stunt. I know dogs are smart, but they must be smarter than I thought to be able to find these people. 

19 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Thanks for the excellent description of the typical emotional cripple who pulls this stunt. I know dogs are smart, but they must be smarter than I thought to be able to find these people. 

It's a shame that we don't have the emogi for beating a dead horse.🐂

Nothing we post is going to overcome the combination of a sense of entitlement and disregard for others of those who are willing to break the law and put the restaurant owner on the spot in order to have it their way.

6 minutes ago, gringal said:

🐂Nothing we post is going to overcome the combination of a sense of entitlement and disregard for others of those who are willing to break the law and put the restaurant owner on the spot in order to have it their way.

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

Time To March.

It was pointed out in two separate / different posts  regarding the table walking  Dashunds dogs  at Viva Mexico , that the owner Augustin  was not present at the time of the incident being spoken about, thus he could not have addressed the problem.

The two cited scenarios  referred to – the Dashunds and the unruly Great Dane,  appear to show a “need”  on the part of the owners to show off ,.   with an attitude of : “  Aren’t they cute  ?       and “ I  have done such a good  thing by rescuing  this poor dog"                                                                                                    I believe if  these  same folks were exposed to an unruly child  doing similar behavior like , walking on the table  or  howling, they would  be outraged and become quite  verbal about their displeasure about this behavior.   I am not an anti-dog person, as I own several rescued dogs  myself .  I believe that as a dog owner, this carries a responsibility to  care for your dogs , as well as   make  the experience with other people  and their dogs  a positive one, especially out of their home … otherwise it gives  other dog owners a bad reputation.  

Some restaurants  may  extent a courtesy of allowing a  dog, possibly two,  to dine with their  owners in an outdoor part of their  restaurant.  However, it is  the  dog’s owners responsibility to use good common sense,  manners  , respect  for the others who are dining in that same area, not put undue work on the staff to clean up after the dog and dog-owner  AND   not dishonor or disrespect the  courtesy that the restaurant  owner has extended  for this privilege.. it is not a right. .

Nothing we post is going to overcome the combination of a sense of entitlement and disregard for others of those who are willing to break the law and put the restaurant owner on the spot in order to have it their way.“

I know, Gringal. But it felt good to get it off my chest. 

2 hours ago, Xena said:

Nothing we post is going to overcome the combination of a sense of entitlement and disregard for others of those who are willing to break the law and put the restaurant owner on the spot in order to have it their way.“

I know, Gringal. But it felt good to get it off my chest. 

Point taken !!!😉

There are products available for the elimination of pests. Just be very careful that the innocent dogs do not get any. They are very likely to find better homes.

👹

It is not always the patrons at fault. When we lived in the owner's residence of the Eldorado Beach Club on Los Muertos beach in Puerto Vallarta, a wealthy family thought they could turn the restaurant around, and leased it for $10,000 U.S. per month. The owners eldest son ran the place. He couldn't leave his two dogs in the condo he was renting, so he would bring them to work. One was a giant, jet black Great Dane, the other was a very active Australian Cattle Dog who was prone to nipping. I remember the first day the Great Dane showed up. The owner's son showed with up in a friends $60,000 plus power boat, anchored about 300 yards into the Bay. They all dived out to swim to the shore. As you know, many Mexicans are afraid of dogs, especially black ones, I think many Mexicans thought he was a sea monster. He was a nice enough dog and stayed outside on the beach area, he was well trained. It was annoying that he got his staff to clean up the dinosaur sized droppings. The Cattle Dog didn't fare as well. It became very high strung, and had to be kept on a leash, often in the restaurant. One day, it tryed to take a nip on one the servers, the owner's son was so enraged, he started choking the dog and punching it in the head. There was quite a few customers, and the whole place went dead in disbeleif. One customer said leave the dog alone, to which the son replied "it is my dog, I will do anything I want to it". The Great Dane died soon after, and I think he returned the Cattle dog to the breeder. Then the restaurant gradually, and surely sank to economic ruin. The family's patriarch died quite unexpectedly. It was bought by Alberto Perez, of La Palapa and Vista Grill fame. He turned it around and it is very successful today if you are ever in Puerto Vallarta. High end Mexican cuisine, right on the beach.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150793-d10145769-Reviews-El_Dorado_Restaurant_Beach_Club-Puerto_Vallarta.html

I just had dinner at {Pinche Gringo} in Mexico City when half way through the meal a Gringa and Mexican man walked in with a dog on a leash.  The restaurant is well known in Mexico City for it's barbeque.  Compared to Texas, Oklahoma. or Kansas barbeque it would come in below average.  The restaurant is a larger building with concrete floor and picnic tables so its not the most elegant restaurant in Mexico City.  The couple set at a table and proceeded to feed the dog on the floor.  I started to say something but decided I was a long way from home and didn't need to start something.  However I have decided whenever I see a dog in a restaurant at Lake Chapala I am going to say something to the people who own the dog and the manager of the restaurant.  People who bring Fido to a restaurant have no consideration for their fellow eaters.  I am sure the people who put their dogs on a table will be doing it again since nothing was said to them.  If I am there something will be said!

It is the owner/manager's responsibility to speak to offenders.  I would speak/write a note to the owner/manager and remind them of the law and your dislike of them allowing it. That about all you can do.

36 minutes ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Almost all US states now allow dogs to accompany their owners to restaurants that have patio or similar outdoor facilities...sorry folks sign of the times ..everything’s going to pot.... about time I say....

Another statement without source.

"The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the governmental body that creates the regulations guiding restaurants in the U.S., currently prohibits animals in food service establishments (with the exception of service dogs that help people with disabilities). California and New York are both considering laws that would allow our furry friends to have a seat at the table with us when we eat out. What, if any, are the health risks involved with a move like this?

There are several reasons that the FDA frowns upon animals in restaurants. One is due to concerns for people with asthma or allergies, which are often exacerbated by dog and cat dander, fur, and slobber. Another reason is to prevent food servers from handling an animal and not washing their hands before continuing to serve food. Can cats and dogs really cause food to get contaminated, though? Despite the popular adage that, "a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's", they're actually not.

FDA regulations aren't laws: they're recommendations. Most states and cities have their own laws based on them. If it's illegal to bring your pet into a restaurant in your city, you should remember that doing so could not only get you in trouble, but also cause problems for the restaurant: They could face fines and even health code violations."

Source:

https://www.seeker.com/should-dogs-be-allowed-in-restaurants-1792605470.html

My comment:

Do you want dander, fur or slobber with that order?

I was ready to get off this subject but I had the worst experience yet at the Huerto Cafe this morning.  I went for breakfast with my wife and there was a man there already with 2 large mongrels on long leases.  He was sitting under an umbrella not directly under the roof so I didn,t say anything.  He kept yelling at one dog as he was having trouble controlling it.  A few minutes later he started feeding the dogs with his hand with food from the table.  Later when he ate what he wanted he set the plate on the ground for the dogs to finish.  I pointed out to the manager <I don't know if she is the owner>  the plate on the floor with the dogs eating out of it.  She went and got the plate but didn't really say anything to man.  I told her it was not lawful for the pero's to be in cafe but she said some cafes have permission for them  She said she threw the plate away but I have my doubts.   

3 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

I was ready to get off this subject but I had the worst experience yet at the Huerto Cafe this morning.  I went for breakfast with my wife and there was a man there already with 2 large mongrels on long leases.  He was sitting under an umbrella not directly under the roof so I didn,t say anything.  He kept yelling at one dog as he was having trouble controlling it.  A few minutes later he started feeding the dogs with his hand with food from the table.  Later when he ate what he wanted he set the plate on the ground for the dogs to finish.  I pointed out to the manager <I don't know if she is the owner>  the plate on the floor with the dogs eating out of it.  She went and got the plate but didn't really say anything to man.  I told her it was not lawful for the pero's to be in cafe but she said some cafes have permission for them  She said she threw the plate away but I have my doubts.   

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

30 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

Well, another restaurant checked off my list!  It's one thing to let your pets eat off your dishes at home, if you are okay with it.  But DO NOT let your pets eat off a plate in a public restaurant.  That's just disgusting!

1 minute ago, suegarn said:

Well, another restaurant checked off my list!  It's one thing to let your pets eat off your dishes at home, if you are okay with it.  But DO NOT let your pets eat off a plate in a public restaurant.  That's just disgusting!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Any talk of dogs in restaurants outside this country is moot. It is, flatly, against the LAW here. Which akes any talk of bringing your dog with you also moot. Why this insatiable desire to bring a dog to a restaurant? Don't answer; it's a rhetorical question.

Archived