Chapala.com Webboard

Fido in Restaurants

rafterbr

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

I have only seen 1 (obviously Mexican) instance of a dog being brought into a restaurant in PV in all the years (10) we have lived there. It's always foreigners or perhaps my ability to discern has eroded. After my cataract surgery I can see 20/20 and an American or Canadian accent is pretty easy to discern even with less than perfect hearing. The one time involved a Mexican woman with a tiny dog in a shopping bag! The foreigners drag 2 and sometimes 3 medium to large size dogs in. Then the preening and looking for approving glances usually begins.  I think FlyFree nailed it: the dog is their best and only friend and probably because it doesn't cause them the problems they have had in the past with human interactions.

The dog is part of their family. Civilized.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we traveled to China, many years ago, the English menu listed  "Wild Dog.......70 RMB         "Best Parts of Wild Dog.............90 RMB'.  I was tempted but stuck with chicken which my wife advised was pretty much safe the world over. There were cages of dogs, cats, birds fish and snakes in front of the place so you could pick and choose. Also live monkey was on offer and we watched a nearby table partake of that.  Sorry cedros, but it all seemed very civilized. Nobody tried to tuck an animal under the table.

43 minutes ago, el bartman said:

Here's the deal - if I have my dog lying quietly on the ground and outside the restaurant disturbing no one and you don't like it - move me

We haven't been discussing dogs outside the restaurant, so what's your point?

If you think dogs in a restaurant are a problem, think of having a large Fido siting next to you on a plane. New regulation allows people with anxiety disorder allows them to bring in 4 leg monsters.....a flight attendant friend shares horror stories with me...some airport concourse's  have fire hydrants and in door our green set aside a a comfort station!!!

• 3 weeks later...

At Viva Mexico two days ago our table of 9 - a Mexican aged 50 along with a naturalized Mexican who has been here almost 40 years and is a renown Mexican food expert and the others all having at least 15 years here - were surprised and shocked to see a couple and a screened stroller roll into the restaurant with two dogs in it who were then invited up onto the table by their couple.  Not sitting off to the side in the stroller.  None of us, all well-travelled, had ever seen anything like this gross impertinence. It was unbelievable and I would hope it would never occur again.  Augustine had an accident and was not at the restaurant that day.  The waiters scrubbed that table like crazy men when they left.  UGH UGH UGH 

9 hours ago, solajijic said:

At Viva Mexico two days ago our table of 9 - a Mexican aged 50 along with a naturalized Mexican who has been here almost 40 years and is a renown Mexican food expert and the others all having at least 15 years here - were surprised and shocked to see a couple and a screened stroller roll into the restaurant with two dogs in it who were then invited up onto the table by their couple.  Not sitting off to the side in the stroller.  None of us, all well-travelled, had ever seen anything like this gross impertinence. It was unbelievable and I would hope it would never occur again.  Augustine had an accident and was not at the restaurant that day.  The waiters scrubbed that table like crazy men when they left.  UGH UGH UGH 

Now that is funny and sad at the same time. I wish there was a video of it, including the faces of the other customers watching it.

I was in Ajijic for two days last week and ate in more restaurants than I would have thought possible in such a short time.  On Friday afternoon a group of friends and I had comida at Viva Mexico (a charming place where I had never been before).  Agustín wasn't able to be there, unfortunately.  

English-speaking foreigners who appeared to be a couple came into the patio where my friends and I were seated, bringing their two dachshunds with them in a stroller.  They proceeded to let the dachshunds sit and walk around ON THE TABLE.  Who the hell does that?  My friends and I were horrified. 

The restaurant personnel said nothing.

PS to pappysmarket: usually when one is standing in a doorway, "Adelante" means come on in.    

ETA:  Sorry, I hadn't seen solajijic's earlier post.  

5 minutes ago, More Liana said:

I was in Ajijic for two days last week and ate in more restaurants than I would have thought possible in such a short time.  On Friday afternoon a group of friends and I had comida at Viva Mexico (a charming place where I had never been before).  Agustín wasn't able to be there, unfortunately.  

English-speaking foreigners who appeared to be a couple came into the patio where my friends and I were seated, bringing their two dachshunds with them in a stroller.  They proceeded to let the dachshunds sit and walk around ON THE TABLE.  Who the hell does that?  My friends and I were horrified. 

The restaurant personnel said nothing.

PS to pappysmarket: usually when one is standing in a doorway, "Adelante" means come on in.    

Yes, usually.....but not always.

Archived