Chapala.com Webboard

A positive comment about the traffic police

Hubby and I were going down the libramiento (carretera - Wally's World) when a traffic vehicle pulled out, turned around and followed us. He had us pull over close to the power station. When he approached on hubby's side (driver), he immediately identified himself as Alberto Soto (hope I got that right) and that it was a check of the stickers. We were pulling out papers, ready to show that all was well, when he reaffirmed that it was just a check of the stickers. He also made sure we were both wearing our seat belts (we were) and then sent us on our way. It was quick, painless, professional, and very fast--less than a minute. What a great change we've seen in our decade plus of living here!

I have to wonder why this guy went to all this trouble to pick you out, do a u turn and all the rest just to check your stickers personally.  You know that it has been reported less than half of the Tapatios bother with emission inspections.  Normally sticker checking is done in an organized way with a check point.

I'm just glad you didn't get the shakedown over some made up violation but you probably would have had your stickers and papers not been in perfect order as is the usual with the expat population, at least the experienced ones.  Although this strikes me as a fishing expedition perhaps they have become more circumspect about trying to shake people down with fake violations.  That's good news but don't let your guard down.

38 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I have to wonder why this guy went to all this trouble to pick you out, do a u turn and all the rest just to check your stickers personally.  You know that it has been reported less than half of the Tapatios bother with emission inspections.  Normally sticker checking is done in an organized way with a check point.

I'm just glad you didn't get the shakedown over some made up violation but you probably would have had your stickers and papers not been in perfect order as is the usual with the expat population, at least the experienced ones.  Although this strikes me as a fishing expedition perhaps they have become more circumspect about trying to shake people down with fake violations.  That's good news but don't let your guard down.

Absolutely good points and it's one of the reasons why we make sure everything is in order. Still, I was surprised at just how professional the cop was. We've been shaken down in the past (many years ago), so I'd like to think it's a positive sign of real changes.

1 hour ago, Tingting said:

Absolutely good points and it's one of the reasons why we make sure everything is in order. Still, I was surprised at just how professional the cop was. We've been shaken down in the past (many years ago), so I'd like to think it's a positive sign of real changes.

Agree.

19 minutes ago, MarkWebles said:

You get pulled over without cause, and this a good thing? Like lambs to slaughter.

The guy said it was a sticker check. I accept that. I've been pulled over for a lot less in the US (not always deserved). My whole point was the professionalism by the cop. Nothing more, nothing less. We didn't react and get ugly and accuse him of trying to take a bribe. It was a quick check and it was over. You show me a country that doesn't do random traffic stops and I'll show you Utopia. Had we done something wrong, we would have politely asked for the ticket. Maybe you're on the way to the slaughter, but not us.

2 hours ago, MarkWebles said:

You get pulled over without cause, and this a good thing? Like lambs to slaughter.

No the good thing is it wasn't followed by what used to be the usual made up violation and shakedown.  Believe me Mark in the old days this guy would have for certain tried to extort money from Tingting.  I think it likely he was fishing but now they know better than to fabricate and then extort automatically like they used to.

I've only had a couple of traffic stops (for legit reasons) and was treated nicely on both occasions.  Was not asked for bribe and I didn't offer one.  Didn't get a ticket either.  If I ever do get a ticket, I will pay it since I'm sure I have broken so many traffic laws by now that I'd feel like it was finally my karma to get a ticket.  Back in 1972, I did bribe two Federales to avoid being deported.  That cost me sixteen dollars, two beers,  and is another story...

Alan

The funny part is they could make a ton of money on legitimate traffic stops in this country.  For the most part it seems things like stop signs, traffic lights, speed limits, etc. are viewed as "suggestions."

I'm in the same boat as Alan here.  "He who is without sin...."

:D

Archived