Chapala.com Webboard

searching for polipropileno ultra pro screen for hernia operation

I have a hernia and Segura Popular is going to do the operation by Dr Ivan Chavez at the Joco hospital. They need this specific screen for the operation since they cannot provide it. Have found one on Mercerdo Libre for $3,500 p. Anyone know another source and also anyone had this operation there with this doctor and have any comments? He told me that i would have the operation in the evening and would be discharged the next day and would need a companion to be with me through the entire time. What's up with that? Gracias

19 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

He told me that i would have the operation in the evening and would be discharged the next day and would need a companion to be with me through the entire time. What's up with that? Gracias

You may need help going to the restroom or such. The norm here is for the family to tend the patient. I am sure they can get you an all-night helper if you wish to hire one.

They may not provide it but they most certainly would know where to get it and THE SIZE that you will need. Ask them. The companion is needed because they usually do not provide nurses to help you get to the bathroom... and Angus already covered this. And, yes, you can hire a nurse to be with you. Not expensive and that would be my personal choice.

Johnson and Johnson quit the hernia mesh business because of lawsuits. Sutures might be better.

Mercadolibre has hernia surgical mesh for less money.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-623782188-malla-quirurgica-para-hernia-pieza-15cm-x-15cm-_JM

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-628269720-malla-quirurgica-para-hernia-pieza-30cm-x-30cm-_JM

8 minutes ago, Joco said:

Johnson and Johnson quit the hernia mesh business because of lawsuits. Sutures might be better.

Mercadolibre has hernia surgical mesh for less money.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-623782188-malla-quirurgica-para-hernia-pieza-15cm-x-15cm-_JM

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-628269720-malla-quirurgica-para-hernia-pieza-30cm-x-30cm-_JM

Thank you for that but the doctor says that there is a lot of inferior products out there and highly recommended this particular brand.

Can't the doctor procure exactly what's needed and bill you directly or ask for the cash in advance? I must say I've never heard of a doctor telling a patient to go and buy what he needs to properly do the surgery. I know, I'm getting old and it's a new world out there.

Over a year ago I had my hernia surgery there. The Doctor asked me to buy my own. I told him  I did not want to go to Guadalajara he said ok he would pick the mesh (maya) and I asked which type and he gave a choice of two. I researched and chose one. Now I also chose the endoscopic surgery 2 1/2 hours.  Excellent treatment by staff and hospital. My total cost 10,000 pesos. My last check-up he asked me if I had returned to work? I said yes but, I was not lifting anything heave...he said why not that he did a good job.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Can't the doctor procure exactly what's needed and bill you directly or ask for the cash in advance? I must say I've never heard of a doctor telling a patient to go and buy what he needs to properly do the surgery. I know, I'm getting old and it's a new world out there.

This is Seguro Popular and he said they were not able to get involved in any way with the purchase of items as they might be accused of having a side business. 

Dr. Ivan does not want to be seen promoting one brand over the other (his words). He sent my facilitator/translator into Guadlajara and then phoned from the store. The one he bought, medium priced, Dr. Ivan said was not the best, after I already bought it. The Aneasthotogist is very conservative at that hospital. He said my platelet count was too low for epidermal spinal, and thats all they had at that hospital. They are not able to offer advanced operating theatres like the Tier III hospitals in Guadalara - which they would send you in an emergency. Not to worry though, thousands of epidermals per year are performed there. Dr. Ivan is a great guy, and speaks perfect English. He lives in Ajijic. If you choose endoscopic (not an option for me - I left it too long) there is a rental fee for the equipment

18 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

This is Seguro Popular and he said they were not able to get involved in any way with the purchase of items as they might be accused of having a side business. 

Sorry to hear that. Understandable but still crazy when the doc wants you to buy the surgical materials. Maybe, if you have the time, eBay has some semi nuevo for a reduced price. A friend advised that's the best place to get cheap hearing aids. Relatives post them, you buy, then find an audiologist and tell him it belonged to your late uncle. Just glad I don't have to rely on SP but I wish everyone who does the best outcomes possible.

I just found out the polipropileno ultra pro screen I found on Mercado Libre was from Argentina...I did not click Mexico. However this is not listed in the Mercado Libre Mexico...so I am now back to square one. Maybe someone the name of a medical supply company that sells this? Gracias

3 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Thank you for that but the doctor says that there is a lot of inferior products out there and highly recommended this particular brand.

Most manufacturers are being sued and stopping production because the product is dangerous. I wouldn't use it, the expensive or cheaper product. If you research it,  the inexpensive ones are as good as the expensive. Make sure the doctor reads all your tests before surgery. I had a bad outcome because the surgeon there didn't read the sonogram. My surgeon did not know the difference between an inexpensive generic Tylenol type pain reliever and a very expensive one. There wasn't any difference and I was being given the generic in the hospital anyway. Good luck.

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

I just found out the polipropileno ultra pro screen I found on Mercado Libre was from Argentina...I did not click Mexico. However this is not listed in the Mercado Libre Mexico...so I am now back to square one. Maybe someone the name of a medical supply company that sells this? Gracias

The links I posted are to a vendor in Jalisco.  Did you look at the ones I posted?

https://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/_CustId_304472028

We are dealing with Seguro Popular here...they are very restrictive in their rules and regulations.. This is my first interaction with them beyond the doctor at my local clinic. When I left the consultation I asked Dr. Chavez for his card and he told me they are not issued one because of temptation to engage in  "outside business" relationships...whatever that means. I will be going back Wednesday with my blood tests so will try to get more direction regarding questions raised here. Gracias

I had 3-4 hernia's as a result of a botched 5-6hr gallbladder operation, used mesh & it migrated, meaning any excess mesh rolled up above the hernia's. Sloppy! Not uncomfortable or an issue with the hernia's but? Can not tell u what type was used, the surgeon stated that this was a common result? All done in the great white north

2 hours ago, mkshawn said:

I had 3-4 hernia's as a result of a botched 5-6hr Gaul Bladder operation, used mesh & it migrated, meaning any excess mesh rolled up above the hernia's. Sloppy! Not uncomfortable or an issue with the hernia's but? Can not tell u what type was used, the surgeon stated that this was a common result? All done in the great white north

That is why many manufacturers are getting out of the mesh business. It seems to be OK for about 5 years and then it causes problems. I had a botched gallbladder laparoscopic surgery at the Joco hospital that has taken me 2 years to begin to feel better.  The doctors are new and very young. I'd be careful dealing with them. If I did it over again, I'd spend the money on an experienced doctor in Guadalajara. The Joco hospital is great for people if that's all they can afford. It's better than nothing.

Archived