Chapala.com Webboard

AT&T Internet por casa speed

Dan M

I am getting super fast internet speed with the new AT&T por casa wireless internet modem. 

Yes these screen shots are real. The bottom one  @ 31.91 download speed is with ATT. The top one is two minutes later through my TelMex router @ 2.75 download speed. 

1 You must have a Temporal or Permanente visa or be a Mexican citizen to qualify. 

2. The contract  is for 30 months!

3., They will NOT lease the modem and it costs $2100 pesos regardless of what their website says  

4  They have plenty of modems in stock at the store in Centra Laguna Plaza in San Antonio  

5  They have two plans 10 mg and 5 mg speed and data is capped each month and the speed will drop to 2 mg if you go over the limit.   

5  Your speed will vary depending on your location  I suggest Buying a $100 p. SIM card for your phone and testing  your speed before signing up.  

6  I am not a spokesperson for ATT and do not have any answers for anything beyond what I have posted here, but to me this was a NO Brainer!

I actually had to find another provider as TelMex does not support TSL encryption which is required for my work.  This program is brand new for Mexico and I could not be happier!  

8AE45546-D16A-4EF8-AF72-E07E5C549F33.png

BEF7632E-035D-4FD9-AF21-48ACDFA41A48.png

At this hour my ATT download is 11.42 and upload is 4.38. Over the last 3 weeks I have seen download as low as .98 mbps and as high as 39.83. I have called their customer service and they had me reset the modem through the paperclip hole and then power it off and it jumped from the .98 to 8.78 mbps when restarted. But the reason I have the ATT is that I have never had it down for even 20 minutes which is regular for Telmex Infinitum at my location. But NO it won't do for streaming because of the cap.

It sounds great, my question is, how will you test your download speed at your home prior to purchasing...I do not see how buying a 2100 p sim card will let you know what your speed will be at your home..We already have ATT phones from the U.S. that work fine at our home in Mexico with unlimited data, talk and texting ( we realize it slows after so much data,...we also have the ATT modem/router at another home in the States..we have had it for a year or so and it works great,  Our home in lakeside could benefit from this ATT modem for streaming versus the Telmex we use now..I am will ing to pay the 2100p with the hope that it provides decent down and upload speeds..So I guess it is buy and try...

How much is the ATT plan / month after the modem purchase..TIA

1 hour ago, Tomas said:

It sounds great, my question is, how will you test your download speed at your home prior to purchasing...I do not see how buying a 2100 p sim card will let you know what your speed will be at your home..We already have ATT phones from the U.S. that work fine at our home in Mexico with unlimited data, talk and texting ( we realize it slows after so much data,...we also have the ATT modem/router at another home in the States..we have had it for a year or so and it works great,  Our home in lakeside could benefit from this ATT modem for streaming versus the Telmex we use now..I am will ing to pay the 2100p with the hope that it provides decent down and upload speeds..So I guess it is buy and try...

How much is the ATT plan / month after the modem purchase..TIA

1 hour ago, vetteforron said:

I am impressed and have the system also. My question is how do you get 31 mbs? Mine is only 10mbs which is what they said. I am a happy camper too.

I don't know why I got the speeds in the 30 mbs it just happened.

After the modem purchase the cost is $350 mn per month for the "up to"  10mbs speed.

I just learned today that Telcell is offering essentially the same service as ATT at cheaper rates. The hardware is cheaper too $1650 for the TelCel modem vs $2100 ps at ATT.  

Plan 1: is $199/mo for 100 gbytes at 5 gbits fall back to 1 Mbps. 

Plan 2: is $350/mo for 150 gbytes at 10 gbits fall back to 2 Mbps.

TelCel has the best cell tel coverage Lakeside. I’m going to sign up with TelCel.

13 hours ago, Dan M said:

I am getting super fast internet speed with the new AT&T por casa wireless internet modem. 

Yes these screen shots are real. The bottom one  @ 31.91 download speed is with ATT. The top one is two minutes later through my TelMex router @ 2.75 download speed. 

1 You must have a Temporal or Permanente visa or be a Mexican citizen to qualify. 

2. The contract  is for 30 months!

3., They will NOT lease the modem and it costs $2100 pesos regardless of what their website says  

4  They have plenty of modems in stock at the store in Centra Laguna Plaza in San Antonio  

5  They have two plans 10 mg and 5 mg speed and data is capped each month and the speed will drop to 2 mg if you go over the limit.   

5  Your speed will vary depending on your location  I suggest Buying a $100 p. SIM card for your phone and testing  your speed before signing up.  

6  I am not a spokesperson for ATT and do not have any answers for anything beyond what I have posted here, but to me this was a NO Brainer!

I actually had to find another provider as TelMex does not support TSL encryption which is required for my work.  This program is brand new for Mexico and I could not be happier!  

8AE45546-D16A-4EF8-AF72-E07E5C549F33.png

BEF7632E-035D-4FD9-AF21-48ACDFA41A48.png

5  Your speed will vary depending on your location  I suggest Buying a $100 p. SIM card for your phone and testing  your speed before signing up.  ---Good advice!

4 hours ago, Tomas said:

It sounds great, my question is, how will you test your download speed at your home prior to purchasing...I do not see how buying a 2100 p sim card will let you know what your speed will be at your home..

The suggestion was to purchase a 100 pesos SIM card, put it in your phone at your house and see if your location gets good reception. The 2100 pesos was for the modem if one decides to go forward with the plan.

But it sounds like you already have an AT&T plan from the US that works fine for you in Mexico so this opportunity probably does not apply to you.

• 7 months later...

The point of buying a $100 SIM card is to check your AT&T connection where you live.  If you already have AT&T, this will not be an issue.  From what I've been told, you must have 4G connectivity with 4-5 bars.  If you are in a cell phone shadow, you are out of luck.  

Telcel  requires a 2 year contract whereas AT&T requires a 1 year contract.

A question for those using this equipment.  How is customer support?

Archived