Chapala.com Webboard

TSLA is in town !

I would like to give some comments/thoughts on the electric vehicles from my experience.

I had mainly driven sports cars besides racing cars for many years. 
But it happened: Right after my last sports car was delivered the earthquake occured on March 11, 2011.
Many gas refinery facilities in northern part of Japan collapsed and short supply of fuel lasted for over a month. 

I decided to go for an electric car. 
First I wanted to get Tesla but it was not available in Japan then.
I purchased Mitsubishi "i-Mieve" which I believe to be the first pure electric vehicle on the market in Japan.
I drove it for about 4 years and I bought Nissan Note e-power which is operated with electric motors assisted with
gas engine to feed battery housed.

Here are my personal opinion on electric vehicles
the Pros and cons;

Almost no noise very quiet, sometimes pedestrians do not even notice the cars coming
so the speaker equipped with the car makes noise to give them alert when running at low speeds.

Excellent cool air condition function, no heat from no engine,so cooling function is excellent.
However, heating function is not coefficient rather poor.

Low maintenance: except brake fluid,no engine,no mission oil, nor coolant to  be changed.
Brake pads/shoes last longer because of less braking.

Elec charging stations/spots; you should have high voltage feed at your home, say over 200v to get quick charge.
Otherwise it takes time to get feed it up.
There are over 21,000 elec charging stations and 31,000 gas stations in Japan.
But this is one of the reasons why I switched to the present car from pure elec car.
I got tired of checking batt level and charging spots before I drove. 
The actual millage is about 70-60% of nominal catalogue value.Of course it all depends on the temp and how do you drive.

I believe Mexico will be a good place to have electric vehicles in the future as high elevation and warm temp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV 

If your intent is to save money by buying electric doubtful it will happen if you compare actual costs vs gas purchase price for same economy doesn't compute unless you use it for 20 years or so

If your intent is to be "green" you can only accomplish that if you only charge at home with solar panels. 

If your intent is "I'm cool because I drive a Tesla" .. Go for it. 

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

If your intent is to save money by buying electric doubtful it will happen if you compare actual costs vs gas purchase price for same economy doesn't compute unless you use it for 20 years or so

If your intent is to be "green" you can only accomplish that if you only charge at home with solar panels. 

If your intent is "I'm cool because I drive a Tesla" .. Go for it. 

Generally speaking retails prices for the electric vehicle in Japan are set much much higher than the ordinary cars given  tax benefits and/or subsidy  from the government, for instance I got approx US$12,000 when I purchased. I can not imagine that you would get any reimbursements in Mex. I have also received US$400 from Tokyo metropolitan office to cover installation charges for AC outlet at my home. The actual cost was $500.

One another intent to be added is acceleration feeling which is completely different you have ever encountered, smooth, linear and superb. I had driven Porsche 930 (911 Turbo). The feeling is very similar but linear up to the max speed without any catch. If you do not care about battery consumption and are able to manage ECU settings,  you can beat NASCAR vehicles with regard to acceleration up to certain speed for sure.

I believe a couple of days will not be enough to charge Tesla up by using solar . 

Sure a solar system can charge a Tesla.Solar installations here are grid tied. The charger is connected to your house. Not directly to the panels. 

Your solar panels send power to the house or grid depending on draw. You would need enough panels installed to produce more electricty than you consume on a daily basis. 

Example. Your house is uses 15kwh per day Your solar system produces 25 kwh per day. You are sending  10kwh to the grid every day. So say for a week you have sent 70kwh to the grid (CFE). 

Now you plug in your Tesla and use 20kw charger. It takes 3.5 hours to charge for a weeks use. So you take 70 kwh from the grid. You are now even for the week. 

• Like 1