Chapala.com Webboard

TSLA is in town !

Wow, could not believe what I was seeing at the bottom of the Libriamento and just across the street in front of Walmart. There was 2 TSLA models on display. I believe one was the model S and the other the model X. It looked like you could test drive them. Just to let you all know, I am a TSLA fan as clean and renewable energy is the future. Yes I do also own TSLA stock (wish I could have afforded to buy more...).

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

lakeside7, I bought several shares of TSLA stock back in June of 2016, which was about 6 months before the launch of Model 3. I took a long view and expected to double twice in 10 years. Things are going much better then expected, but.......this damn Corona Virus has shut down TSLA Chinese production and for how long ? Hope to own or it least drive a TSLA before my time is up..

Tesla has a service / delivery facility in Guadalajara, in same area as Galarias / Costco. They delivered my Model 3 in just a couple weeks. Attentive bilingual staff.

Tesla's are delivered with charging cable for normal 127 Volt outlet, and faster 220 Volt charging. 

18" wheels best, due to our potholes & speed bumps. Long Range versions are appropriate here, as Super Charger locations in Mexico are not yet as frequent as in US / CA / EU. 

On 6/10/2018 at 1:38 PM, HoneyBee said:

Wow, could not believe what I was seeing at the bottom of the Libriamento and just across the street in front of Walmart. There was 2 TSLA models on display. I believe one was the model S and the other the model X. It looked like you could test drive them. Just to let you all know, I am a TSLA fan as clean and renewable energy is the future. Yes I do also own TSLA stock (wish I could have afforded to buy more...).

I have googled electric cars.  China now sells a little 4 seat electric car for about $4000 US in mexico City.  They might deliver.  Im looking into it.  There are alot that are like a motorcycle with 3 wheels but i prefer a regular 4 wheel and steering wheel

Unless one feel the necessity to  have "the brand" and want electric power there are Chevrolet Bolt, and Nissan Leaf also available.

Unlike north of the border where there are free charging stations in many parking lots, cheap electricity and government subsidies, Mexico will take a while before electric vehicles become practical. Unless you own a second vehicle for traveling, trips are out to most of Mexico. 

Sales of 100% electric  are running under 100 a month in the whole country. 

And unless you have solar power to charge your electric the cost is very high. Probably charging the car would put one in DAC rates for all the homes consumption.

• Like 2

I think a small electric runabout for strictly local usage combined with solar panels to charge it could be very cost effective here as a substitute for a second car.  This is what I would do if we needed a second car.  Our walk to most everything location makes the second car unnecessary and the first one spends a lot of time in the garage.  However there is no electric car than can go 700+ miles at 70+ mph as is typical of our trips to the border.

Also  remember that if you are charging off the grid here your electricity is mostly still produced from coal, oil or gas fired generating plants and will be for the foreseeable future.

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2020 at 11:46 AM, RickS said:

For economical driving here, try a SmartCar. I knew/know where one is available.... maybe.

A Honda Fit gets almost the same MPG as a Smart Car and you get more car for your money. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

And considering how few miles, many of us put on our small cars each day, (I drive to a local restaurant  each day for breakfast and lunch and that's about it)  many of us spend next to nothing each month for gasoline. (I only have a Honda CRV)