Chapala.com Webboard

Gyozas

kgreenbury

I haven't had a chance to try Walmart Gyozas yet but I had ones of Costco, "Ajinomoto" brand"? I believe,
which were delicious and were very popular among the Japanese.

As you may know you can cook Gyozas in several ways. The below quoted URL shows you some cooking methods of
gyozas except steamed ones which I like the most and I would recommend.
Usually you can not have steamed ones even at Japanese restaurants; ie you have to cook for yourself. 

Enjoy!

https://www.japan-guide.com/r/e107.html

Did enjoy that Ukiyo. We have bought "Panda" brand at Costco, but they have too much cabbage. They love these dumplings in Western Canada. First the filled dumplings called Peirogis (Ukranian) became popular. Then the potstickers. Very popular in families with kids, easy to make, kids of all nationalities love them. Mostly all machine made now (as with many Chinese dim sum items), sold as frozen. Are the gyozas in Japan handmade or machine made?

Thanks, Ukiyo. I've had the Costco ones, and they're good but less accessible. II kind of like mine fried, for a little crunch on the outside. I've been making my own for 35 years but sometimes I just want a few NOW... And FYI, I'm from western Canada so I'm a peirogi fan too. If you're ever ambitious, try sweet potato filling mixed with butter, bacon bits, green onions and a dash of liquid smoke - Fabulous! 

Don't quite recall the brand name I've purchased from CostCo, but they do allow frying. They come in "ice cube" trays that melt, and the liquid boils them and boils off, then you leave them in situ to fry on one side. They cook perfectly every time and are darn tasty for a frozen item.

Chillin;
Both handmade and machine-made gyozas(frozen and fresh) are available on the market here in Tokyo.
Peirogis and potstickers sound tasty. I will try them someday.

BTW, I have lived in Vanc., BC for about 2 years, and at that time there was only one restaurant where Gyozas were
available and no frozen ones neither dumpling skins on the shelves.

Kgreenbury:
35yrs??! wow! I prepare gyozas once in a decade because as you mentioned I can not eat all that I prepare and
I satrt feel that I do not want to see gyozas for months to come.

Computer guy:
If you have a steamer, try steamed gyozas. It is worth.

Travis:
Next time when I visit Chapala area I sure will have lunch or dinner at Masayume.
I had met an owner 2-3 years ago at bazzar and he asked me to show how I prepare Sushi because I've told him that
I attended Sushi school in Tokyo, but I could not meet him on the following day.

Ukiyo - Maybe you'll give us a class on sushi when you come? I'm sure you'd have lots of people interested. I've learned to cook lots of things here out of desperation because they simply weren't available otherwise; still can't get enough good Asian food...  

On 6/11/2018 at 2:09 PM, kgreenbury said:

Ukiyo - Maybe you'll give us a class on sushi when you come? I'm sure you'd have lots of people interested. I've learned to cook lots of things here out of desperation because they simply weren't available otherwise; still can't get enough good Asian food...  

Yes, I am happy to give you basic sushi lessons at my home in Gdl which is not actually mine but my wife's 
or Have knives will travel.
With regard to sushi lesson I would like you to prepare sushi for yourself instead of classroom lecture.
I will bring necessary stuff and gears with me so the attendants just need to bring cooking knives and chopping 
boards.
However I guess the number of people will be limited, maybe 6-10 people at a time because I would like to teach you 
from A, how to sharpen the knives, how to cook rice without using rice cooker which is not common in Mex., etc.

I usually visit GDL Jan and/or Feb for about a month, so there is still plenty of time.

Back to the original post,
As I write about gyozas I wanted to prepare so I did this morning.
Here are the pics of homemade filling of gyoza matured in a fridge for about one hour
and finished ones ready for frying or steaming.

IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1778.JPG

Do Japanese prefer a bit of crunch in their Gyozas? The Chinese do in their dumplings/pot stickers, they often use cabbage, which goes soft if frozen. Water Chestnuts are an expensive tinned import here, I am thinking Jicama would be a good subsitute.

ps. Do you have Wasabi Sprouts in Tokyo? They are so good, look like alfalfa sprouts, but taste like powdered wasabi. Real Wasabi would not grow here.

A fascinating topic. Ukiyo, I had bamboo steamers before I moved here, but have never gotten into seriously since I arrived.  I would place them over boiling water in the wok. regarding rice, I'd be interested in your advice: I use a pot (also called a saucepan) tightly covered with foil under the lid, and a bit of a different approach due to our altitude.

I must say, your photo shows real technique.

I might add that to me, from only a few items I've tried at Masayume, they are the only "real" sushi place lakeside, but while their stuff is good, it would never hold up against a serious sushi restaurant.

This is a wonderful series of posts.  The discussion about gyoza is fascinating and Ukiyo, your photos are excellent.

Rice is a whole other topic.  What I have found is that rice preparation depends greatly on what the rice will be used for.  For example, the Mexican way of cooking red rice works better if the pot is wider than it is high--so that the rinsed, drained, and slightly browned rice has ample room to expand and fluff up in the cooking liquid.  If the unwashed starchy rice is to be used as the main part of a Chinese dinner, I've found that it cooks more correctly in a pot that is higher than it is wide, so that the rice grains slightly stick together and are more easily eaten with chopsticks.

I have never used a rice cooker.  I live at nearly 8000 feet above sea level and use the same techniques for cooking rice that I have used at any altitude, including sea level.  

Chillin, you nailed it. I can vouch for the virtues of Jicama - I use it in my gyoza, diced very small,  and in larger slices in all my stir-frys instead of water chestnuts; it works perfectly.

Ukiyo, just give us a heads-up when you're coming this way in a few months, and we'll see if we can pull a group of students together for you!

10 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Do Japanese prefer a bit of crunch in their Gyozas? The Chinese do in their dumplings/pot stickers, they often use cabbage, which goes soft if frozen. Water Chestnuts are an expensive tinned import here, I am thinking Jicama would be a good subsitute.

ps. Do you have Wasabi Sprouts in Tokyo? They are so good, look like alfalfa sprouts, but taste like powdered wasabi. Real Wasabi would not grow here.

Yes, the most Japanese prefer crunchy outside and juicy inside.  Personally I prefer steamed ones which give more juicy inside.

If you like CELERY, try next time; ground pork, minced cabbage (Chinese cabbage better if available) , leek and celery. highly recommended.

Wasabi sprouts? Never heard of.  When I was young I had a dream of growing wasabi in US or Mexico because real wasabi was not available outside of Japan then and it is expensive (US$10 for a double thumb size), almost care free after you set up a field. I know once you knew the taste of real wasabi you can not go back to artificial ones like regular coffee vs instant one. I found a suitable site in Mexico to grow wasabi ;  near Jiquilpan, Michioacan where you get constant right temp river flow which required to get wasabi grow well. I have a strong feeling that they should grow wasabi instead of Marijuana there!

CG, I have not been to Masayume but I really admire and respect the owner. It is very difficult to run a Japanese restaurant with limited supply of materials to prepare.  I 

PS  As you may know please put lettuce leave underneath gyozas  when you steam. They won't stuck. 

More Liana,

Yes, I know rice is a completely other topic. Oh well, I feel like it is too late to turn back so I will go on. Roughly there are three kinds of rice; short, medium and long grain.

The short grain (Japonica specie) is for Sushi and is very sticky when cooked. Chinese and other Asian people use long grain which is very suitable to prepare fried rice and is not sticky as short grain.  Most of so called California rice or sushi rice sold in US and Mexico is medium grain.

Here is very easy and simple way of cooking rice at any sea level using Microwave oven;

1. wash rice some little hints; Wash gently do not wash too much, say 2, 3 times  Do this quick as you can  Use "soft water"  mineral water not recommended       

2. put 160g of rice and 200ml water into ceramic bowl in a oven

3. 500W for 6mins

4.200W for 12mins

5. leave it for 10mins

It is done.

Hope this helps. 

On 6/9/2018 at 8:54 PM, kgreenbury said:

I noticed Walmart had 2 types of frozen gyozas yesterday - has anyone tried them? I'd love to have that option if they're any good but their frozen foods tend to range from awful to maybe if I'm desperate, of the ones I've tried...

I went the next day, and couldn't find anything like that, nor have I been able to since. Can you point me a little closer, please?

They're in the frozen foods section, maybe 2nd or 3rd compartment across from the bread. I saw them again a few days ago and they're down toward the bottom, might be pushed toward the back. I didn't look closely but the first time they had pork and vegetable versions.

Off topic... except that I didn't see the gyozas either and I was in there on Sunday.

The So Right Kung Pao Chicken with veg is very tasty and very quick to prepare. It is, however, not a lot of food. I have been adding more rice to it to make it stretch a bit. My other way of prep is to make a salad and then put the Kung Pao on top of it and mix it through. Deelish.

4 hours ago, gringal said:

If you don't want to scratch cook 'em or get 'em frozen, Chopsticks has some fine pot stickers.  I prefer the pork.

I don't like their potstickers. They use bread flour, rather than cake flour, and gives a "wheaty" taste to the dumplings.

Archived